Contribute
Register

Dell Precision M 7710

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 7710 running Ubuntu that I'd much prefer runs OS X. However, I don't even want to start this project if there is decent likelihood that I'll be wrestling with the system forever. I just need it to be stable (for software development) and able to take advantage of the RAM and processing power. And it'll need to drive my Dell 4K monitor via mini DP.

Here are the specs as I pulled them from my dell receipt:

Mobile Precision7710
Intel® Xeon® E3-1505M v5 (Quad Core 2.80GHz, 3.70GHz Turbo, 8MB 45W, w/Intel HD Graphics P530)
Intel Xeon E3-1505M with Smart Card and Thunderbolt 3
AMD FirePro W5170M w/2GB GDDR5
17.3" UltraSharp™ UHD IGZO (3840x2160) Wide View Anti-Glare LED-backlit, with camera and microphone
64GB Memory
512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe High Performance Solid State Drive
1TB 2.5 inch 7200 rpm SATA Hard Drive
Intel® Dual-Band Wireless-AC 8260 Wi-Fi 4.1 Wireless Card (2x2) W/Bluetooth

Thanks for any and all advice,
A

I have a 7710 running Ubuntu that I'd much prefer runs OS X. However, I don't even want to start this project if there is decent likelihood that I'll be wrestling with the system forever. I just need it to be stable (for software development) and able to take advantage of the RAM and processing power. And it'll need to drive my Dell 4K monitor via mini DP.

Here are the specs as I pulled them from my dell receipt:

Mobile Precision7710
Intel® Xeon® E3-1505M v5 (Quad Core 2.80GHz, 3.70GHz Turbo, 8MB 45W, w/Intel HD Graphics P530)
Intel Xeon E3-1505M with Smart Card and Thunderbolt 3
AMD FirePro W5170M w/2GB GDDR5
17.3" UltraSharp™ UHD IGZO (3840x2160) Wide View Anti-Glare LED-backlit, with camera and microphone
64GB Memory
512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe High Performance Solid State Drive
1TB 2.5 inch 7200 rpm SATA Hard Drive
Intel® Dual-Band Wireless-AC 8260 Wi-Fi 4.1 Wireless Card (2x2) W/Bluetooth

Thanks for any and all advice,
A

Follow the Clover guide linked from the FAQ.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Thanks, RehabMan.

I'm not looking for specific instructions at this point, I'm just trying to get a rough idea of how common/uncommon this hw profile is before I commit. Everything seems reasonable outside of the Firepro W5170M. Although I see a small handful of posts that suggest this GPU may work, I've encountered nothing to suggest it works well.

-a

Thanks, RehabMan.

I'm not looking for specific instructions at this point, I'm just trying to get a rough idea of how common/uncommon this hw profile is before I commit. Everything seems reasonable outside of the Firepro W5170M. Although I see a small handful of posts that suggest this GPU may work, I've encountered nothing to suggest it works well.

-a

Your post #1 indicates Intel P530 (no idea if that is accurate or not). You should verify what graphics device you're really working with.

Thanks again! Both are listed in the post, I should have called out that this has dual GPUs.

Thanks again! Both are listed in the post, I should have called out that this has dual GPUs.

You should verify.
If you don't know how, attach output from 'lspci -nn' in Linux Terminal.

As per FAQ, if it is dual-GPU switched/routed, you can use only Intel HD...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back