Contribute
Register

Dell Optiplex 990 with Catalina?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@OSX790 and @madhouse28

I was trying to load the latest version of Catalina, but I can't remember what version of Clover and I can't even get to the Clover boot screen anymore after I tried to repair the installation by booting my backup HD (running Mojave 10.14.6), but I know that version is running a newer Clover than r5119. I tried to reinstall r5119 in the Catalina-in-progress disk by downloading that version of Clover on the backup and telling it to install to the other disk. The installation failed, but it doesn't tell me why. I tried copying over the efi from the backup. No go. But what's weird, is that I see two disks in addition to the EFI: Mac Disk, and Mac Disk - Data, which tells me something went wrong when Catalina was trying to finish up the install and things are probably toast. I may just have to wipe that disk and restore it from my backup, unless somebody has a better idea.

There are two disks/volumes with Catalina one is system and one data. Do you have a bootable usb stick? How are you booting on the 990? UEFI or Legacy?

Can you get to the clover boot menu? If so, press F3 to see all volumes, then try the recovery volume.

I had a very troublesome time with my 990 in UEFI mode after High Sierra. I decided to boot in legacy mode. What I would try is this (and there's probably far better ways but my knowledge is very limited)

If you still have Catalina, use the TM tool multibeast to instal legacy Bootloader to your Catalina disk (this way you know you have at least legacy Bootloaders installed). Get hold of clover 5116 and install for legacy booting. I don't know why but I went through a very problematic phase with clover a while back on the 990 trying to update, I always ended up going back to 5116 at the time.

The other thing I would mention is that I know for sure without doubt that MY 990 does not have working nvram in OS X. So it has to be emulated, so make sure that when you do install clover you select to instal the scripts.

Also don't forget to press F11 at the boot menu as you need to clear nvram, and delete all boot options as well. I don't know why all this is pessary but I found at the time it was the only thing able to get my 990 to actually boot.

If you can get to the clover boot menu you should be able to boot the recovery volume and reinstall. The probably peeps out there now laughing at all this but it works for me. Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable members would care to help out here.

As it stands I'm staying with clover r5119 and Catalina on this 990 until some one posts a know good working solution. If you still can't get anywhere I will move over to the 990 (as I'm not on it ATM) and post my config and refi folder... if that is allowed here? Not sure.

I tried to reinstall r5119 in the Catalina-in-progress disk by downloading that version of Clover on the backup and telling it to install to the other disk. The installation failed, but it doesn't tell me why.

Did you have the efi mounted on the volume you are try to install to? I ask because every time I've tried it with it mounted it always fails for me at least.

Did you have the efi mounted on the volume you are try to install to? I ask because every time I've tried it with it mounted it always fails for me at least.
I'm not sure. I'll make sure I try without it mounted.

There are two disks/volumes with Catalina one is system and one data. Do you have a bootable usb stick? How are you booting on the 990? UEFI or Legacy?

Can you get to the clover boot menu? If so, press F3 to see all volumes, then try the recovery volume.

I had a very troublesome time with my 990 in UEFI mode after High Sierra. I decided to boot in legacy mode. What I would try is this (and there's probably far better ways but my knowledge is very limited)

If you still have Catalina, use the TM tool multibeast to instal legacy Bootloader to your Catalina disk (this way you know you have at least legacy Bootloaders installed). Get hold of clover 5116 and install for legacy booting. I don't know why but I went through a very problematic phase with clover a while back on the 990 trying to update, I always ended up going back to 5116 at the time.

The other thing I would mention is that I know for sure without doubt that MY 990 does not have working nvram in OS X. So it has to be emulated, so make sure that when you do install clover you select to instal the scripts.

Also don't forget to press F11 at the boot menu as you need to clear nvram, and delete all boot options as well. I don't know why all this is pessary but I found at the time it was the only thing able to get my 990 to actually boot.

If you can get to the clover boot menu you should be able to boot the recovery volume and reinstall. The probably peeps out there now laughing at all this but it works for me. Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable members would care to help out here.

As it stands I'm staying with clover r5119 and Catalina on this 990 until some one posts a know good working solution. If you still can't get anywhere I will move over to the 990 (as I'm not on it ATM) and post my config and refi folder... if that is allowed here? Not sure.

I was able to get that Catalina-in-Progress drive to at least get to the clover menu. It has Clover 5112 installed. I'll try again to upgrade to 5119. I must admit I had never heard of F11 or the NVRAM issues. I had never had to do that before now. I'll try to install the NVRAM scripts when reinstalling Clover.

Go ahead and post your EFI folder, if the mods allow it. If not, perhaps you can email it to me? Thanks!

UPDATE: I finally had to wipe the Catalina-in-progress drive and try installing again with Clover 5119 and the config.plist and kexts suggested. I was able to get through the initial installation, and just when it looked like the install was going to complete, it hung with the progress bar at around 98 percent. I tried to repair it using the repair volume, and it gave me the error "Couldn't created Preboot Volume for APFS install." Whatever that means. I may just have to go back to my backup Mojave drive, clone it and live with that until I can get some better hardware. :( I don't know how you all are doing it, but I'm glad that you are!

If you end up going back to Mojave and it boots ok, then why don't you see if you can upgrade Mojave to Catalina from there? Thats what I would be tempted to do.

Meanwhile, I'm on the T5400 so I'll shut this down and reconnect all the wires and fire up the 990. Then I'll post post the EFI folder for you, but I will remove s/n etc. Don't quite know how you will get around that one in your current situation but that's all I can do.

Be back in a short while soon as I can fire up the 990.

OK I just find up the 990. Attached is full EFI, hope I don't get into trouble for this.

mods please note:- no system s/n, smuuid or board s/n etc.

Smbios is set to MP6,1. I never changed it back to iMac 14,2 as I was booting BS.

This 990 has just booted from this EFI so I know for sure it works - well for anyway on my 990. I'm using display port although I thing the Nvidia K600 defaults to DVI. So depending on your card you may have to use F11 at the boot menu - that is..... if it works for you. I don't know what else you can do if it doesn't other than try to upgrade you Mojave to Catalina. Hope this is of some help to you.

Attachments

• 990 EFI.zip
    27.3 MB · Views: 122
OK I just find up the 990. Attached is full EFI, hope I don't get into trouble for this.

mods please note:- no system s/n, smuuid or board s/n etc.

Smbios is set to MP6,1. I never changed it back to iMac 14,2 as I was booting BS.

This 990 has just booted from this EFI so I know for sure it works - well for anyway on my 990. I'm using display port although I thing the Nvidia K600 defaults to DVI. So depending on your card you may have to use F11 at the boot menu - that is..... if it works for you. I don't know what else you can do if it doesn't other than try to upgrade you Mojave to Catalina. Hope this is of some help to you.

SUCCESS! Thank you very much for the EFI folder. I finally got Catalina installed, although with a few weird quirks, like the installer saying it couldn't "Bless" a startup drive, but I just restarted and the installation got all the way through. I had originally tried to install Catalina through Apple's installer from Mojave like you mentioned, even using your config.plist and kext arrangements, but that didn't work. I gather I needed something else in that folder.

Like you, I'm finding the NVRAM is a pain in the butt. I have had to hit f11 several times and watch it try to boot, then restart, then try again hitting f11 and then booting. I wish there was some way to just work around the NVRAM issues in BIOS.

Thanks again!

I've seen weeks waste away over this very same issue. Yes the nvram sure is so weird. F11 is you friend :lol:

Now all we need is an OC guru to actually post a known working OC folder for the 990.

So glad it was of help to you. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back