Contribute
Register

Dell Optiplex 7020/9020 using OpenCore + Intel HD4600 or AMD graphics

is there a motherboard you would recommend that would also fit for Monterey?
Are you asking for a case recommendation ? To move the 9020 motherboard into ?

It depends on whether you have the SFF model or the MT (mini-tower). Only the MT board is the standard m-ATX form factor. That can be installed in any m-ATX or ATX case. Adapters are needed if you want the front case ports to all work.

I have the SFF and I'm told it's easier to just replace the MB and some come dirt cheap + as I still have the RAM problem, a motherboard switch should fix that and I would be able to run 32gb of RAM dual channel.

I have the SFF and I'm told it's easier to just replace the MB and some come dirt cheap + as I still have the RAM problem, a motherboard switch should fix that and I would be able to run 32gb of RAM dual channel.
Yes, 9020 SFF boards don't cost that much. Give a new 9020 SFF board a try if your current ram slots don't work.

Boards from other manufacturers will not fit in the Dell SFF case. They did that on purpose.

Last edited:
Thanks, yes, what about any alternate motherboard if I want to transplant it all to a new case? One that would work with hackintosh.

One that would work with hackintosh.
To keep using your i7-4790 and DDR3 ram, it would have to be a Haswell board. The 9020 MT board fits in any ATX case but not in your SFF.

As I said previously you can't put any other boards than the Dell 7020/9020 SFF in your SFF case. Won't fit. Look at the back I/O panel, you'd have to cut a lot of thick steel to make another board work.

See that there is no removable backplate ? Not even any standard mini-ITX board would work in that SFF case.

Attachments

• 1679266115959.jpeg
    1679266115959.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Thanks, yes, I want a new case, basically use the Dell Optiplex component (apart from the MB) in a totally new case, to make it a better experience. The only thing I want to delete is the MB as I know it won't fit any other custom case.

I want a new case, basically use the Dell Optiplex component (apart from the MB)
Search Ebay for Intel Z87 and Z97 motherboards. Should be some decent used ones for sale there.

Like this one? Decent price!
If you'd like. It may be better to buy one that already has a User Build guide on this site. That way you can be certain that it will work.

Hi @trs96 , I saw this dialogue and had a similar question for you.

I've been building a hackintosh based on a 9020 I inherited, and up until now have been able to get everything working in the original case with an external PSU modded in with the 24 to 8 pin adapter. I purchased a new case and was starting to transplant the motherboard when I discovered the connection issues with the front panel.

So, I've ordered the connector converters for the audio and front panel conversion, but I also saw there's that additional 5 pin power connector running to the on off switch up near the top of the MB seemingly related to switch lights and power on/off. Some guys on youtube recommend splicing the yellow and red wires together on this, and after that I'm assuming the motherboard receives power on/off commands from the primary front panel connectors at the lower base of the mb? Is there anything additional I will need to do with that top connector? I didn't see it covered in the page one docs for the build, and would hate to have missed a step.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Search Ebay for Intel Z87 and Z97 motherboards. Should be some decent used ones for sale there.

Back