Contribute
Register

Dell Optiplex 7020/9020 SFF Desktops at Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
General blog stuff including basic graphics creation. Book writing (Scrivener) and publishing (Vellum). Basic office stuff other than that (including Microsoft Office). I might get into XCode eventually (probably not though), and basic video editing--definitely not 4k editing. I will hook it up to a 4k monitor.

Last edited:
General blog stuff including basic graphics creation. Book writing (Scrivener) and publishing (Vellum). Basic office stuff other than that (including Microsoft Office). I might get into XCode eventually (probably not though), and basic video editing--definitely not 4k editing. I will hook it up to a 4k monitor.
The i5 version with 16GB of ram and a 512GB SSD should be able to do all those things.

If you've already got an SSD you can use, this deal at Amazon looks good.

Just buy a 2 x 4GB ram kit to upgrade to 16GB. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IV19IA8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Then you've got every thing needed. Even Win10 Pro on a 1TB HDD.

Last edited:
Best 9020 USFF deal currently: https://www.newegg.com/dell-optiplex-9020-usff-business-desktops-workstations/p/1VK-0001-5JZ43?

Will give you a small, quiet hackintosh perfect for browsing the web with great speed/performance. All for under $175. The Newegg seller also has good reviews so it's a win win situation.

1643806276914.png
Screen Shot 11.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, so I bought from a vendor off Amazon, SJ, and instead of the i7-4770s, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM Optiplex 9020 USFF, I received an Optiplex 9020M Tiny with an i7-4785T, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD.

Should I return it? I wouldn’t mind the size of the thing (it is hilariously tiny) but will that processor and mobo even work?

Edit: I decided to return it and get what I ordered—either from SJ or more likely somewhere else…

Thanks!

Last edited:
(it is hilariously tiny)
The naming confuses people. The 9020 Ultra Small USFF easily gets confused with the Micro 9020. They should have given it a different number like 9025 or 9021 to differentiate the model.

Here's how the listing should be:

Dell OptiPlex 9020 USFF i7-4770S 3.1Ghz

Here's how many of them are listed:

Dell OptiPlex 9020M USFF Intel Core i5

They are calling a 9020M (Micro) USFF when that's not the actual name.

It's best you returned it. My guide is not written for the M versions. They require some varied steps that I don't cover. Different BIOS, different audio codec etc. I'm sure you could make one work. I've never bought a Micro 9020 yet to test.

Attachments

• 1644009302089.png
    1644009302089.png
    79.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
i7-4770s, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM Optiplex 9020 USFF,
Skytech has one with the exact same specs that you ordered from SJ computers.

Screen Shot 3.jpg

Screen Shot 7.jpg

Skytech has one with the exact same specs that you ordered from SJ computers.

View attachment 541189

View attachment 541190
They do, and I thought about it, but I think that listing is cursed. It has Ultra Small Tiny in it, and I was worried they will think it is the micro again. Instead I got one off eBay with a 30 day return. It was cheap enough to take a risk...

We'll see when I get it...

Instead I got one off eBay with a 30 day return. It was cheap enough to take a risk...
Did you look at all the pics to see the exterior's condition ? The ones from Amazon/Newegg are generally cleaned up better and in better cosmetic condition. There are some lower prices on Ebay but it's more likely to have some dents, dings scratches etc.

Last edited:
Did you look at all the pics to see the exterior's condition ? The ones from Amazon/Newegg are generally cleaned up better and in better cosmetic condition. There are some lower prices on Ebay but it's more likely to have some dents, dings scratches etc.
I did, but there were 8 of them in the lot so that is a potential worry. I guess if it is terrible, I can get just the chassis for cheap and replace the case. I have been building PCs for a long time…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back