Motherboard
DELL Optiplex 7010
CPU
i5-3475S/Q77
Graphics
HD 4000
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have been fighting with installing to this machine for about a week.

Specs:
Intel Core i5 3475s CPU
8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
250GB SATA HDD
Intel HD4000 (onboard from i5 CPU)
DVD Burner (part of the 7010)
-- basically standard Optiplex 7010 with an added matched 4GB DIMM.

Here is my problem. I have the iBoot IvyBridge CD and the RETAIL 10.6.3 DVD. I followed the steps for installing High Sierra from another post to get the BIOS settings where they need to be. Brand new CMOS Battery as well.

Only difference is BIOS is set to LEGACY as was advised that SL does not support UEFI.

I have created a single partition and 10.6.3 is installed....bootable by using the iBoot CD. Was advised against using EasyBeast to make bootable HDD. My goal is to get the APP STORE to work so that I can download (first the purchased LION and MOUNTIAN LION from there). I wanted to get EL CAPITAN, but keeps giving me an error on the MAC I use at work - stating it is not supported on both the 10.6.8 and 10.8.4 installed on it's dual boot drive.

I have just reloaded the entire 7010 this AM. The machine boots up fine after the install, and faintly (from internal speaker) you can hear the AUDIO from the welcome video (but you see nothing - it goes right to the CHOOSE A COUNTRY screen). I have gone through these steps and now stand at a brand new install of 10.6.3.

The ABOUT THIS MAC does display everything - audio, video, etc and all seems to work - except when it goes to sleep (it takes a while to wake up with mouse or keyboard activity - but it does wake). It shows it as a MacPro 3,1 and has a serial number, etc. Oddly it only shows 4GB RAM - even though the RAM section shows (2) 4GB DIMMs installed.

10.6.3 does not have the APP STORE so that I can get my purchases, and SAFARI launches to a white screen with about 1/4 loading blue bar. Never shows a page.

I have both the 10.6.7 and the 10.6.8 Combo Update files, but the last time I installed the 10.6.8 Update, it would only boot 1 out of 4 boots with the iBoot CD, the others booted to TRAP ERROR (kernal panic). If I put the -v command line on iBoot it seems to help.

I am just looking for the best way to get everything to work so that I can use UNIBEAST High Sierra (which I also have the Install macOS High Sierra.app file). I have been reading and had some help from users here. They state I need to get a stable system to properly download and install these things. UNIBEAST starts up, and when I point to 16GB USB and the HS file, and make it through all of the settings it just goes to a YELLOW TRIANGLE stating INSTALLER CANNOT BE INSTALLED. I just downloaded from Apple again this AM the High Sierra installer, as well as the Mojave installer.

I was advised I needed to change (with MULTIBEAST SL) the Mac Definition. I tried this, and while I can see the SMBIOS.PLIST file is created with the iMac 11,2 settings, and rebooted - ABOUT THIS MAC never shows the changes.

So here I am seeking help getting this all to working so that I can use this posting ( https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...the-dell-optiplex-7010-9010-desktop-pc.251736 ) to install a working CLEAN INSTALL of High Sierra.

Any assistance is appreciated.

So here I am seeking help getting this all to working so that I can use this posting
You should be able to use Mac Pro 3,1 and still download at least up to El Capitan. As mentioned previously, you should run the 10.6.8 combo update and then any other required updates for the App Store to work properly. As long as you boot from iBoot IB CD 10.6.8 should work fine with your HD4000 graphics. Give that a a try.

UNIBEAST starts up, and when I point to 16GB USB and the HS file, and make it through all of the settings it just goes to a YELLOW TRIANGLE stating INSTALLER CANNOT BE INSTALLED
Remember the Unibeast app needs at least 10.6.8 to work. It will give that error message if you are on 10.6.3 or on 10.6.7.

You should be able to use Mac Pro 3,1 and still download at least up to El Capitan. As mentioned previously, you should run the 10.6.8 combo update and then any other required updates for the App Store to work properly. As long as you boot from iBoot IB CD 10.6.8 should work fine with your HD4000 graphics. Give that a a try.

So I should to the MULTIBEAST and choose NO OPTIONS right after I do the COMBOUPDATE 10.6.8? Should I install EASY BEAST and SYSTEM UTILITIES? Is there a customDSDT some place? I searched the DSDT library here, and do not see one.

Will I need to re-do any Kexts? Right now, with the 10.6.3 (from Retail DVD) I have sound, video (albeit locked at 1024x768).

Just want to make sure that from these steps - I do not have to reload again.

MultiBeast is an all-in-one post-installation tool designed to enable boot from hard drive, and install support for Audio, Network, and Graphics. It contains two different complete post-installation solutions: EasyBeast and UserDSDT. In addition it includes System Utilities to rebuild caches and repair permissions and a collection of drivers, boot loaders, boot time config files and handy software.

Choose one of the following options directly following a fresh installation and update:

EasyBeast is a DSDT-free solution for any Core/Core2/Core i system. It installs all of the essentials to allow your system to boot from the hard drive. Audio, Graphics and Network will have to be enabled separately.

UserDSDT is a bare-minimum solution for those who have their own pre-edited DSDT. Place your DSDT.aml on the desktop before install. Audio, Graphics and Network will have to be enabled separately. HINT: Check the DSDT Database for a pre-edited DSDT.
  1. Run MultiBeast.
  2. If you have a custom DSDT that's been edited, place the file on your desktop and choose UserDSDT.
  3. All others select EasyBeast
  4. Select System Utilities.
  5. Optionally, you may install further drivers via Advanced Options to enable ethernet, sound, graphics, etc... Be sure to read the documentation provided about each installation option. NOTE: EasyBeast, and UserDSDT install the bootloader by default, so you'll not need to check that option.
  6. MultiBeast Demo Videos
  7. Install to Snow Leopard- it should take about 4 minutes to run scripts.
  8. Eject iBoot.
  9. Reboot- from your new Snow Leopard installation drive.

I re-downloaded again the ComboUpdate from the link on the page QUOTED above.

Again - Much Thanks to all responding.

So I should to the MULTIBEAST and choose NO OPTIONS right after I do the COMBOUPDATE 10.6.8? Should I install EASY BEAST and SYSTEM UTILITIES? Is there a customDSDT some place? I searched the DSDT library here, and do not see one.
There's really no need to run Multibeast at all. Custom DSDT is not needed. Main thing is to have 10.6.8 installed and to be able to create your Unibeast installer. That's it. Multibeast is only used if/when you want to stay with Snow Leopard long term which you aren't going to do.

There's really no need to run Multibeast at all. Custom DSDT is not needed. Main thing is to have 10.6.8 installed and to be able to create your Unibeast installer. That's it. Multibeast is only used if/when you want to stay with Snow Leopard long term which you aren't going to do.

I will try it -- but, you had mentioned setting the MAC DEFINTION to something else (iMac 11,2) so that I could get the EL CAPITAN download (if needed to do staged upgrade).

That is why I asked.

I see how far I can go when I get home. It is back to the office again, and that machine is at home.

I will try it -- but, you had mentioned setting the MAC DEFINTION to something else (iMac 11,2) so that I could get the EL CAPITAN download
MacPro 3,1 is a new enough sysdef to use if you need to download El Cap so just leave it as is. If you already have the HS install App try that first to create a Unibeast USB. Report back how it goes.

Once I am able to get this beastie working with High Sierra (or before) -- can I install a BluRay drive (reader/burner) and will it work? I am hoping that once I get this all setup - I want to get a 27" Monitor (with build in speakers) -- I am hoping that HDMI AUDIO will also work.

Ok Team,

I'm home and here are the results.

1) I ran the freshly downloaded ComboUpdate 10.6.8 1.1, did nothing but run it and rebooted (again with iBoot IvyBridge D) after install.

2) Re-ran Software Updates - there were 2 (iTunes and Remote Desktop). I installed anyway.

3) Screen Shot attached showing reboot after last 2 updates and 10.6.8 installed and About This Mac.

4) Ran the UniBeast for High Sierra (it is on the desktop). High Sierra Installer (is in Applications).

5) Screen shots of my choices in the UniBeast.

6) Screen Shot of the error I still get.

7) I launched the APP STORE, and it is again just a WHITE SCREEN (with a App Store logo on the background and a spinning wheel in grey bar at the top). Sat that way for 15 minutes. Never comes up.

20190114_190147.jpg
20190114_190158.jpg
20190114_190219.jpg
20190114_190027.jpg
20190114_190036.jpg
20190114_190053.jpg
20190114_190100.jpg
20190114_190106.jpg
20190114_190011.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back