Contribute
Register

Dell Latitude E6400 won't update to 10.6.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Latitude E6400. Chipset- Intel GM45/GM47. Southbridge- Intel 82801IM (ICH9-M)
CPU
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700
Graphics
Mobile Intel 45 Express Chipset Family
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I finally managed to install Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on my Laptop using iBoot Haswell. Updating to 10.6.8 has proved imposible, it stalls at startup screen. I've tried combo update. I've tried updating to 10.6.7 (works fine) then 10.6.8 (stalls at start up). I've tried update helper but still no luck. Has anyone got any ideas. Olso, Preview doesn't work with jpegs (only pdf's) and iphoto only shows thumbnails (when I click on thumbnail you just get a blank window. If anyone can solve this problem it would be great because my iPhoto library is the main reason for my Hackintosh.

I finally managed to install Snow Leopard 10.6.3 on my Laptop using iBoot Haswell. Updating to 10.6.8 has proved imposible, it stalls at startup screen. I've tried combo update. I've tried updating to 10.6.7 (works fine) then 10.6.8 (stalls at start up). I've tried update helper but still no luck. Has anyone got any ideas. Olso, Preview doesn't work with jpegs (only pdf's) and iphoto only shows thumbnails (when I click on thumbnail you just get a blank window. If anyone can solve this problem it would be great because my iPhoto library is the main reason for my Hackintosh.

Snow Leopard has no support for Haswell... Install Yosemite instead.

Thanks for reply. how do i download Yosemite from app store running 10.6.7. Dont I need 10.6.8 to do this or is there another way?

Thanks for reply. how do i download Yosemite from app store running 10.6.7. Dont I need 10.6.8 to do this or is there another way?

If your goal is to download Yosemite, you need 10.6.8 (or another working Hack or Mac). But there is no need to get fancy with the install. That is, you can use NullCPUPowerManagement, no need for working audio, or working graphics drivers, nor do you need "Preview" to work. You're going to be using this install to download Yosemite and prepare your USB, not browse photos from your last vacation.

Just need Ethernet at 'en0' and updated to 10.6.8. Note that iBoot cannot boot 10.6.8... you need a more up-to-date bootloader. You'll need to continue to use the kernel in iBoot Haswell, of course....

Thanks for this. So if i install NullCPUPowerManagement I should be able to run 10.6.8 without it stalling at the startup screen. what bootloader should I use if iboot Haswell doesn't work with 10.6.8?

Thanks for this. So if i install NullCPUPowerManagement I should be able to run 10.6.8 without it stalling at the startup screen.

No idea (can't predict the future)... you'll find out what troubles you run into when you make the attempt.

My point was you should focus on gaining access to the Mac App Store, not the Preview app.

what bootloader should I use if iboot Haswell doesn't work with 10.6.8?

Latest Chimera.

Ok. Thanks. I'll give it a go.

NullCPUPowerManagement was already installed. says unable to update Cimera. Still freezes at apple screen if I update to 10.6.8. Is there any other way of getting this thing to update?

NullCPUPowerManagement was already installed. says unable to update Cimera. Still freezes at apple screen if I update to 10.6.8. Is there any other way of getting this thing to update?

Boot verbose to troubleshoot.

Also,

Please provide complete details in your profile/signature
(Profile/Settings link in upper right corner of this site)

System: manufacturer/model + bootloader(Clover/Chameleon/Chimera)
CPU: detailed CPU model + motherboard chipset
Graphics: all graphics devices + laptop internal screen resolution

For example, typical Ivy laptop:
System: HP ProBook 4540s (Clover)
CPU: i5-3320m/HM76
Graphics: HD4000, 1366x768

Use CPU-Z on Windows to find CPU (Core iX-xxx) and motherboard chipset (HMxx), and graphics capabilities. For a laptop, these details are important and affect critical installation procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back