Contribute
Register

Dell Inspiron 5559 El Capitan? First time Hackintosh/Hackbook!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
The (almost exact) specs of my machine are in my signature. My worry is the WiFi Card, since it is an Intel Card. I have absolutely no money (due to buying this thing, wasn't planning to hackintosh until I saw the Skylake test thread), so I cannot get anything else. It DOES have ethernet, so worse case scenario, I might have to use ethernet to grab a kext for my card. Other than that, I think I am set for making a hackintosh (I do have a Macbook 4,1. No plans to get another Mac). I would also prefer to not have to nuke my Windows install, my Ubuntu MATE install and my Kali Linux install. I've put sweat and tears in making those to my liking.

The (almost exact) specs of my machine are in my signature. My worry is the WiFi Card, since it is an Intel Card. I have absolutely no money (due to buying this thing, wasn't planning to hackintosh until I saw the Skylake test thread), so I cannot get anything else. It DOES have ethernet, so worse case scenario, I might have to use ethernet to grab a kext for my card. Other than that, I think I am set for making a hackintosh (I do have a Macbook 4,1. No plans to get another Mac). I would also prefer to not have to nuke my Windows install, my Ubuntu MATE install and my Kali Linux install. I've put sweat and tears in making those to my liking.

Read about Skylake: http://www.tonymacx86.com/desktop-compatibility/176407-testing-thread-skylake-platform-os-x.html

http://www.tonymacx86.com/laptop-compatibility/106791-laptop-compatibility.html

And laptop FAQ: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

I did, I didn't find anything on what I need to do. My biggest concern is the WiFi card, and that I have a Mac that doesn't support El Capitan...

I did, I didn't find anything on what I need to do. My biggest concern is the WiFi card, and that I have a Mac that doesn't support El Capitan...

What you should have learned...
- Skylake graphics are a non-starter at the moment
- Apple has no hardware that uses Skylake graphics
- it may get easier/better when Apple releases hardware that uses Skylake graphics

The FAQ also has information regarding compatible WiFi hardware. It is very clear regarding Intel WiFi.

I did know about the intel wifi issues... I remembered that those and my aetheros card in my chromebook didn't work. According to the skylake thread, it is good with the exception of the HD 530 (I have a HD 520).

I DID try to get Yosemite running on my chromebook. It failed miserably. I did a VM test too, and that surprisingly worked. I am some prior experience with the scene, just very little.

At this point, I am more concerned about my unsupported Macbook 4,1. It can't run ML+ without some of my trickery... and even then, EC is so bad that it won't boot off an USB. I got Yose running but it was a graphics acceleration disabled mess.

Last edited:
I did know about the intel wifi issues... I remembered that those and my aetheros card in my chromebook didn't work. According to the skylake thread, it is good with the exception of the HD 530 (I have a HD 520).

No Skylake integrated graphics are working well...

Apple has no hardware that uses it, so the kexts are not done.

Hmm... Oh well. I will live with it. Worse case scenario is that I don't do it at all. Haven't even had the machine for 10 days yet XD.

Like above, the Macbook ordeal might be an issue. I pretty much have to hackintosh my macbook to run yosemite. No one has EC working yet.

I've got a very similar model (specs below, which I will add to my profile and sig).

10.11.4 is said to have better compatibility with Skylake than earlier versions, and with some patching I'm still reading about. I wasn't able to get .4 but was able to get .5 downloaded. Using the USB2 slot, using -V and GraphcisEnabler=No, npci=0x3000, and checking the BIOS to disable VT-D and as much as allowable, I keep getting stuck with the circle/slash and garbled text. Everyone seems to say that's due to using a USB3 slot... I've installed OSX many times using a USB3 device in a USB2 port (Mavericks, Yosemite), so maybe things have changed but I'll have to buy another USB2 device and see if that works.

Otherwise I'll spend the money for a higher end laptop. Still, a $620 laptop being made to run almost as well as the nearly identical hardware costing 3x as much...

Laptop Name: Dell Inspiron 15 5559
CPU: Intel Core i7-6500 2.5Ghz
RAM: 16GB RAM
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 520 (64MB shared)
WiFi Card: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
Ethernet: Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Screen: 15.6" 1080p IPS non-touch laptop display
Keyboard: Full Size Keyboard w/ white backlight

I've got a very similar model (specs below, which I will add to my profile and sig).

10.11.4 is said to have better compatibility with Skylake than earlier versions, and with some patching I'm still reading about. I wasn't able to get .4 but was able to get .5 downloaded. Using the USB2 slot, using -V and GraphcisEnabler=No, npci=0x3000, and checking the BIOS to disable VT-D and as much as allowable, I keep getting stuck with the circle/slash and garbled text. Everyone seems to say that's due to using a USB3 slot... I've installed OSX many times using a USB3 device in a USB2 port (Mavericks, Yosemite), so maybe things have changed but I'll have to buy another USB2 device and see if that works.

Otherwise I'll spend the money for a higher end laptop. Still, a $620 laptop being made to run almost as well as the nearly identical hardware costing 3x as much...

Laptop Name: Dell Inspiron 15 5559
CPU: Intel Core i7-6500 2.5Ghz
RAM: 16GB RAM
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 520 (64MB shared)
WiFi Card: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
Ethernet: Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Screen: 15.6" 1080p IPS non-touch laptop display
Keyboard: Full Size Keyboard w/ white backlight

Hi, Just wondering. Did you manage to get OSX to run properly on your machine? If not what happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back