Contribute
Register

Dell G5 5587

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did somebody tried to install High Sierra on a Dell G5 5587? I want to try it but i don't where to start. If somebody wants to help please. Thank you!

Im on the same boat, have you guys made any progress?

Hi, if we are some guys interested in getting High Sierra running on a dell G5(2018) and it's my first hackintosh on a laptop, so I start to write a guide to share all the informations and progress on the configuration of this laptop. Hope this will help !

1 . Hardware Configuration

• Mother board: HM170
  • CPU: i5-8300H
  • GPU: HD630 + GTX1050ti
  • Ethernet : Killer E2400
  • Wireless : Intel AC9560 - not supported (I use a USB dongle)
  • Audio Card: ALC256 (branded as ALC3234)
2 . Progress

Bios Settings :

System Configuration
  • SATA Operation (AHCI)
  • Drives (all on)
  • SMART Reporting (on)
  • USB Configuration (all on)
  • Thunderbolt Adapter Configuration (all on, no security)
  • USB PowerShare (on)
  • Audio (all on)
Secure Boot
  • Secure Boot Enable (disabled)
Intel Software Guard Extensions
  • Intel SGX Enable (Software-Controlled)
Virtualisation and Vt-d
  • You can keep the 2 features "On" but it can cause some problems during the install so I prefer to keep them "Off" until everything is configured.
Installation :
  • Create an install boot media via Clover and mount the EFI folder to modify the content of created Clover folder (FakeSMC, USBInjectAll, VoodooPS2Controller.kext in /kexts/Other)
  • I join an archive of the CloverFolder on my USB install disk so you can get those files (zip joined)
  • When you restart your laptop to install Mac OS and boot on CloverUSB, 1 - Select the drive you want to boot on (Boot macOS High Sierra in my case), 2 - Press the spacebar, 3 - Tick the Verbose (-v) field, 4 - Select the second entry "Boot macOS with injected kexts". This should make your laptop keyboard works during the install.
  • The installation runs quite good despite 2-3 “Install Failed. OS X could not be installed on your computer”
Post installation :
  • Once Mac Os is installed, you can install Clover definitively via Clover app but you will have to replace the config.plist generated cause your laptop won’t reboot (graphics config). You also have to add some files to reboot without problems (APFSDriverLoader, HFSPlus, OsxAptioFix3Drv-64 in drivers64UEFI) (USBInjectAll, VoodooPS2Controller.kext). If you don't have keyboard or mouse support, try with a USB one.
  • I join my HardDrive EFI Clover folder so you can replace your config.plist by mine or the one on the USB (zip joined)
  • After Reboot. Install all the kexts in the joined file KextsToInstallViaKextutility and reboot again (After reboot, the network adapter, the camera, the touchpad and the keyboard should work fine).
  • To make the audio card works, you'll first have to install Lilu and AppleALC kexts (via kextUtility) and Xcode (to edit files easier). Lilu is a base that permits for developers to create plugins for non Macintosh Hardware. You also have to edit your config.plist to set the CsrActiveConfig variable to 0x67 to permit Lilu to load. Once this done, you'll have to install CodecCommander Kext BUT you first have to modify the Contents' info.plist (At this date 11/03/2019 - Codec Commander does not include ALC 256 support). Follow this video to add code in the file info.plist correctly. FYI When I correct the Item0 command, Xcode alert me value <01970724> was not correct, I had to delete and create new line.
3 . Next Steps :

HD360 Graphics acceleration :
I’ve followed a lot of tutorials but I’ve never got a result even by using Lilu or whateverGreen and FakePciId.
I also tried to modifiy the info.plist from AppleKBLGraphics’ content but no success.

Audio Card ALC3234 (ALC256) - Solved :
During a test, I managed to make the audio card work by installing CodecCommander (with modified info.plist) but I had to reinstall mac OS and I can’t get it working again.

I’m working on getting these 2 things fixed and I'll continue to edit this thread. I also take advices for on these problems. English is not my native language so don't blame if every sentence is not perfect :)

Attachments

• CLOVER_USB.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 435
  • CLOVER_HD.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 437
  • KextToInstallViaKextUtility.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 371
Last edited:
I wanted to thank you for your work on the G5 5587, I own two of these and was able to successfully install Mojave and update to latest, 10.14.6 with your files. I upgraded the internal wifi cards on these from the Intel to Dell DW1830's. (Had to modify the laptop case by cutting a little of the plastic where the card and SSD is to fit the slightly wider 1830 and had to install a 3rd antenna) but all is working great EXCEPT the Nvidia GTX 1060.

On a special note about installing a 3rd antenna, I tried the simple just running the 3rd antenna running it through the bottom of the case, BUT, it made it where the card would only connect at around 300 mps. I had to disassemble the lcd bezel to run them the correct way and I now connect at a rock solid 1000mps and sometimes swings to 1200mps.

anyone have luck installing Catalina on the G5 5587? If so, could you please share your steps. I updated clover, kexts with kext updater, but once it reboots the installer, it hangs at boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back