Contribute
Register

Deep Thought: Water Cooled EVGA SR-2 Dual Xeon 5690 GTX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, I'm impressed! :thumbup: And, that's not just a passing comment. I could use that machine for Computational Fluid Dynamics analysis on several aerodynamic bodies I'm...well, I digress. :lol:

I'm building something similar but having a hellish time getting the build working.

SR-2 Mobo
2x Intel W5580 CPU
6x 4GB RAM
EVGA GTX 570
1x 250GB SSD

Running a number of different BIOS version A49, A54 and A56

The DSDT from doods post gives an AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kernel crash.

Trying to run OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion.

Spent a couple of days trying just about everything I could think of but it's been about 3 or 4 years since I did anything hackintosh.

Will post up all the releven settings later.

Did you by any chance keep any install notes?

thx :)

I followed these instructions:

Mountain Lion is even easier to get working, I think more or less fully.
Using SSDT and DSDT. Multibeast not needed.

Only two kexts need to be installed, FakeSMC and Disabler.kext. Video card works Out of Box with 10-15% performance improvement.
Chimera 1.11.0 for bootloader

FakeSMC r609 + plugins with the edits as listed in the first post.

Disabler.kext to disable AppleTyMCDEDriver.kext (triple channel memory)
Patch AppleRTC.kext with the terminal command: sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x89\xd8|\xeb\x30\x89\xd8|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

Set
Graphics Enabler = yes

Also added in the DSDT from dood but I don't think it's working with my CPU's.

Replaced the W5580's with X5680's and it's running now.

Working on Overclocking now :)

Hello:
I am currently on 10.7.3 with the GTX480 keeping the room toasty.

I finally pulled the trigger and in 3 days will receive my EVGA 680GTX 4GB Classified.
I am also trying to upgrade to 10.8.2.
I have also a OCZ Vertex 4 512 GB (Micron NAND) on order which will arrive in the next couple days (got it on BF at newegg for $300!).

I can either try to upgrade the current 10.7.3 to 10.8.2 or do a new install on the Vertex.

Anyone with a working SR-2 with 10.8.2 please let us know how to do it.
I know from netkas that for the 4GB cards to run, you have to change some settings as apparently the NVidia Fermi kexts do not natively work for graphics cards over 2 GB memory.

Thanks.

If you are still interested in getting your SR-2 to run 10.8.2, then I will be happy to help.

As I am new to this site, please advise what the protocol is.

Screen Shot 2012-12-25 at 12.58.28 PM.png

Braindeadmac,

Was there any trick to installing the ATTO RAID card? I'd like a similar card for the machine I am currently building using a GA-X79-UD3 Motherboard and an Intel i7 3930K six-core processor. Are there any other (read: less expensive) internal RAID cards you might recommend?

Thanks!

Great build! I am currently trying to do a similar build with a SR-2. I was wondering, is there any way you can share your DSDT with me? I got the Mac OSX installed but now I need to get multibeast and everything set up.

Also, do all your pci-e slots work? I can't seem to get much working other than the graphics card. My wifi card, etc wont work.

Thanks so much

Hey guys,
BDM, your build is amazing! I was hoping to talk to someone about their finalized water cooling systems. Watching the development of your builds has really inspired me to do my first build and I would really like to model my cooling system after one of yours.

I'm really new to water-cooling but really want to give it a go. Thanks for any help!

First great build!

I have an sr2 water cooled duel 5680's etc., etc.

I have 10.8.2 up and running on a54 bios.
Nvidia 560 ti 384 cuda working plus cu in slot 1
sound with line 6 UX1 pod studio USB

network and internet with 12 Euro usb wifi stick "currently unable to access app store or cloud due to unknown error." working on this if you have a solution please post!

ok so first, I need to modify my dsdt to match everything. Second Trying to enable power management. I read in another post that c states were not possible above 10.7.2? they break in 10.7.3?

under my kernel.log i see

" Mar 22 13:22:53 localhost kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out
Mar 22 13:22:53 localhost kernel[0]: [AGPM Controller] unknownPlatform
Mar 22 13:22:53 localhost kernel[0]: ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::gatherCStateOverrides - failed to set c-state demotion data: -1
"

It would be great to work with someone who knows about this system! I am educated enough in the system to figure out most stuff, but these little details would be very helpful!

Cheers mate!

Anyone know the best guide to get 10.8.2 running on the sr-2? I have tried Dood's dsdt but cannot seem to get wifi (TP-link 4800) or audio working and the system freezes up quite often. It seems most people aren't using 10.8.2 for this system, but if anyone who has can help it would be much apprecaited.

Thanks so much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back