Contribute
Register

Deep Thought: Water Cooled EVGA SR-2 Dual Xeon 5690 GTX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
JGW310 said:
That's awesome!! Congrats on the build!!!

If you don't mind me asking, what was the final cost?

A lot. On the other hand, cheaper than the the Mac Pro 12 Core at 2.93 GHz.

braindeadmac said:
JGW310 said:
That's awesome!! Congrats on the build!!!

If you don't mind me asking, what was the final cost?

A lot. On the other hand, cheaper than the the Mac Pro 12 Core at 2.93 GHz.

Hahaha it's all worth it in the end!! :headbang:

You know what they say.. if you have to ask.. you cant afford one lol
Im jealous!

oh oh oh my god, your mac is damn great !!!!!

wow! >.< I am not worthy! This is amazing!

Great Build! I notice that the SR-2 uses a Marvell 88E8057 Controller for ethernet, can you advise me how you were able to get that to work? Can't find anyone having success with it.

I noted you wrote: "The Firewire card, network adapter card, and USB Bluetooth adapters all work out of the box, transparently.", does that mean it simply worked because of your user DSDT file?

BadKarma said:
Great Build! I notice that the SR-2 uses a Marvell 88E8057 Controller for ethernet, can you advise me how you were able to get that to work? Can't find anyone having success with it.

I noted you wrote: "The Firewire card, network adapter card, and USB Bluetooth adapters all work out of the box, transparently.", does that mean it simply worked because of your user DSDT file?

I've never tried to get the Marvell controller to work, I bought the Sonnet card since no one else has gotten the Marvell controller to work. I don't believe the DSDT file is necessary for the network card, firewire card or bluetooth adapter. The cards I used for these purposes were all known to work on other Hackintosh builds, and the FW card specifically known to work on the SR-2 and in Hackintoshes (so I put 2 and 2 together).

Thanks so much braindeadmac for clarifying that for me. I've been searching for answers everywhere, but till now you're the first to confirm. I've gone ahead with ordering the apple broadcom mini pci wireless card along with mini-pci to pcie adaptor and will proceed forward with this as a means of network connection. Thanks again.

Update for Mountain Lion

Mountain Lion is even easier to get working, I think more or less fully.
Using SSDT and DSDT. Multibeast not needed.

Only two kexts need to be installed, FakeSMC and Disabler.kext. Video card works OOB with 10-15% performance improvement.
Chimera 1.11.0 for bootloader

FakeSMC r609 + plugins with the edits as listed in the first post.

Disabler.kext to disable AppleTyMCDEDriver.kext (triple channel memory)
Patch AppleRTC.kext with the terminal command: sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x89\xd8|\xeb\x30\x89\xd8|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

Video cards with greater than 2GB RAM don't work in Apple's OpenCL, thanks to netkas.org for the fix, in your handy-dandy hex editor,
edit /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Versions/A/OpenCL
find ff 50 68 4c 39 e0 73 e7
replace with ff 50 68 4c 39 e0 90 90

Set
Graphics Enabler = yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back