Contribute
Register

Data Collection & Possible solution to Z68 USB issues! Vote!

Does your CustoMac have USB issues when waking from sleep?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Autosleep working via "PleaseSleep" program. -- I'm running CrashPlan online backup and that's always accessing the disk and backing up online and preventing the native auto-sleep to kick in.

** no delay in sleep. 1 minute setting, computer sleeps in 1 minute of inactivity.

Re: Power to USB
Forget about this theory... I enabled ErP support in BIOS. Basically, this keeps power to the F_USB1 port even if the computer is asleep (so you can continue to charge your iphone, etc.) and plugged my USB drive to this USB port. Same problem. Computer wakes up... I still see the USB drive icon, disconnects it (icon disappears), then reconnects it (icon appears).

Well here is some data on S1 vs S3. I didn't honestly notice much of a difference if at all...

As for power consumption I busted out my trusty "Kill-A-Watt" meter and went to down on a bunch of data points:
  • [*]Computer off (not sleep) = 2.1 watts[/*:m:3mwbjv40]
  • Idle at desktop with Sparrow, Safari, Twitter, Spotify, Reeder, Istat menus = 177-192 watts[/*:m:3mwbjv40]
  • Geekbench = 285 Watts[/*:m:3mwbjv40]
  • Cinebench CPU = 288 Watts[/*:m:3mwbjv40]
  • Cinebench GPU = 255 Watts
    [/*:m:3mwbjv40][*]S1 Sleep = 1.5 Watts[/*:m:3mwbjv40]
    [*]S3 Sleep = 1.1-1.5 averaging 1.3 Watts
    [/*:m:3mwbjv40]

Moral of the story, don't leave your computer OFF (Not sleeping) & Dam! Sandy Bridge + Modern components use almost no power! I don't even let disks go to "sleep" Dam! WTF do I have a 850watt power supply for... My older EP45-UD3P setup actually could use 700 Watts easy... Hence the Enermax 1Kw Galaxy PSU...

It's also odd that S1 turns off everything, including CPU fans. Which makes me worry about overheating the CPU? Granted it's in a lower power state and "Halted" but... Unless Sandy Bridge handles it different.

For what it's worth:
Energy Saver.tiff

Attachments

• Energy Saver.tiff
    84.6 KB · Views: 162
It's also odd that S1 turns off everything, including CPU fans.

But Sleep S3 also turns off the CPU fan. (If I remember correctly). Or am I missing something?

I'm getting the same wattage consumption you're seeing. Never exceeding 300W consumption even at 100% full load.

Now we just wait for Lynx2Mac to update drivers to fix some issues.

powerpcg5 said:
It's also odd that S1 turns off everything, including CPU fans.

But Sleep S3 also turns off the CPU fan. (If I remember correctly). Or am I missing something?

I'm getting the same wattage consumption you're seeing. Never exceeding 300W consumption even at 100% full load.

Now we just wait for Lynx2Mac to update drivers to fix some issues.

Never would have guessed the power consumption. Kind of crazy lol...

S1 is supposed to leave power to the CPU (In a halted, cache flushed state), and normally leaves the fan's on (historically on older machines I've had).

S3 only leaves power to the ram.

Hence the concern on the CPU. Granted I have a thermal right archon so It'd never over heat, fans or not in such a low power/heat state, but I'd be worried suggesting people S1 unless I knew the CPU was off for sure!

P.S.
What version of Parallels are you using?

I have (2) Noctua fans push-pull on the cpu (using Noctua heatsink).
Even on Idle, my cpu heatsink actually feels cold to the touch.

Parallels Desktop is 7.0.15052

powerpcg5 said:
I have (2) Noctua fans push-pull on the cpu (using Noctua heatsink).
Even on Idle, my cpu heatsink actually feels cold to the touch.

Parallels Desktop is 7.0.15052

I understand that, but in my case when in S1 the fans are off (the heatsink is still not really warm either), The archon is the thermal right similar thing (just taller/wider if not mistaken). So if the CPU is still "powered up" as S1 historically has been, imagine an i7 2600K with stock cooler in some poor chaps Hack. Leaves it like that in a crummy ventilated case for ~4 days straight. Oooops won't boot anymore :p

Well I'll give parallels a shot, and see if it works for me. I doubt it though, I doubt it's an issue your having, that i'm not. I'm just sick of vmware...

I have both Parallels and VMWare. I much prefer Parallels. Faster. I can't completely leave the Windows world behind as some programs I use for my business/work are Windows-only.

Yes, pls. check out if your Parallels Bridged networking is also broken... now that we're using the official Realtek drivers.

powerpcg5 said:
I have both Parallels and VMWare. I much prefer Parallels. Faster. I can't completely leave the Windows world behind as some programs I use for my business/work are Windows-only.

Yes, pls. check out if your Parallels Bridged networking is also broken... now that we're using the official Realtek drivers.
Giving it a whirl, lets see if it sees my "bootcamp" windows disk. Vmware was the only one that would boot a hack's windows instillation in the past from my experience. It's "Upgrading" it...

I'm seeing no issue other than it seems like the VM is on steroids. I've never seen a mouse cursor blink so frisking fast in my life!

I'll let you know later after a restart, doing something in windows now that I have it up :p

**EDIT**
Did you mean the VM looses internet or the actual Lion OS. So far Lion hasn't lost it, but i seemingly have the symptoms your describing but for the VM...

Win 7 networking under parallels Desktop 7 is working fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back