Contribute
Register

Data Collection & Possible solution to Z68 USB issues! Vote!

Does your CustoMac have USB issues when waking from sleep?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Please Vote! Data collection for possible Z68 USB issues.

philz said:
What keyboard and what was your method of uninstall lnx2mac? Does the WD elements reconnect even though it's Ejected?

Apple wired aluminium keyboard. Uninstall was by moving RTL81xx.kext from S/L/E to trash, emptying trash, installed official Realtek driver from Multibeast then repaired permissions and rebooted. The WD will reconnect after 45 seconds or so. Also I have all 5 boxes checked in Energy Saver pref pane.

powerpcg5 said:
Does your "disk drives (USB/WD/LaCie)" reattach after sleep?

Yes, no problem in this area even with the Lnx2Mac or Realtek drivers.
Sweet! Good to know, I've always know the Voyager USB I have to be flaky, but that's the only thing I have :p I said "screw it" to the external 3TB WD USB3 I had, and just ripped the drive out and put it in as an internal drive... lol

BTW, been meaning to say, nice setup you have. Love the monitors! I use some Onkyo reference's I got while I lived in Japan, Atypical but they are really, really nice. Just need a proper USB/Firewire external box setup to power them, though they are banana plug'ed with another receiver no one has heard of here :p . Been avoiding using the X-Fi card I have (don't want that headache in OSX). I don't do much audio stuff (more a video/design guy).

roguedesigner said:
philz said:
What keyboard and what was your method of uninstall lnx2mac? Does the WD elements reconnect even though it's Ejected?

Apple wired aluminium keyboard. Uninstall was by moving RTL81xx.kext from S/L/E to trash, emptying trash, installed official Realtek driver from Multibeast then repaired permissions and rebooted. The WD will reconnect after 45 seconds or so. Also I have all 5 boxes checked in Energy Saver pref pane.

Your not going to avoid the replugging problem with the wired aluminum keyboard. That is another issue entirely sadly. No one has found a solution for that as far as I could tell. I picked up a Logitech G510 yesterday as an alternative (odd side note, there are no good full-size chick let key'ed keyboards other than Apples. Logitech's other ones feel like trash!)

Here's a question: When a computer goes to sleep, should power to USB devices be cutoff?

That seems to be what's going on here.

If the PC can keep power to the USB devices going on even during sleep, we won't be having these USB issues in the first place.

powerpcg5 said:
Here's a question: When a computer goes to sleep, should power to USB devices be cutoff?

That seems to be what's going on here.

If the PC can keep power to the USB devices going on even during sleep, we won't be having these USB issues in the first place.

True, that depends on the level of sleep, in Lion if I'm not mistaken the sleep levels have all been changed. I can't for the life of me find any documentation on the new ones (as we have the addition of dark wake, etc.)

I agree though, power needs to be kept or recognition faster. On a real mac power isn't kept unless it's an iProduct charging, otherwise only bluetooth is left on so you can wake the machine up. My only guess is it's going to be something in the DSDT; I know Cartri (Brazillian guy famous for custom BIOS's catered towards OSX without need for DSDT's! I was part of the beta team before things exploded) had a solution that he did. I don't think it was ever documented though :rolleyes:

philz said:
surfcaster said:
I apologize, English is not my language.
Realtek Gigabit Ethernet ethernet kext = 2.0.6 for 10.7
Bluetoth USB = D-Link 122, PCTV Nano Stick, several USB flash drives + 100GB IOMEGA powered by the USB port. + Keyboard and mouse
F8 BIOS, revision 1.0

Perfect so it seems my solution is spot on in terms of the ethernet Kext causing the issue.

Do your drives work after sleep? The flash drives/IOmega?

yes, full working

I changed my BIOS sleep state from S3 to S1. System still goes to sleep and wakes up properly.

Seems a bit faster in waking up, but I'm not 100% sure. (still have the message USB disk not ejected properly though).

Can someone else try S1?

For now, I can say this is close to 100% working... maybe 99.9%

philz said:
Your not going to avoid the replugging problem with the wired aluminum keyboard. That is another issue entirely sadly. No one has found a solution for that as far as I could tell. I picked up a Logitech G510 yesterday as an alternative (odd side note, there are no good full-size chick let key'ed keyboards other than Apples. Logitech's other ones feel like trash!)

I had figured as much. I will just use the extension cable that came with it so that at least I don't have to keep reaching around the back of the computer to replug - just replug the extension connectors. Cmd-E'ing the WD before sleep isn't such a big deal either. Being able to send the system to sleep is a big plus even with those minor annoyances.

powerpcg5 said:
I changed my BIOS sleep state from S3 to S1. System still goes to sleep and wakes up properly.

Seems a bit faster in waking up, but I'm not 100% sure. (still have the message USB disk not ejected properly though).

Can someone else try S1?

I'll give it a shot. Though S1 will use a lot more power than S3 sleep. Doesn't your fans stay on in S1 sleep? That'd annoy the crap out of me...

From Wikipedia:
G0 (S0): Working
G1, Sleeping subdivides into the four states S1 through S4:
S1: All processor caches are flushed, and the CPU(s) stop executing instructions. Power to the CPU(s) and RAM is maintained; devices that do not indicate they must remain on may be powered down.
S2: CPU powered off
S3: Commonly referred to as Standby, Sleep, or Suspend to RAM. RAM remains powered
S4: Hibernation or Suspend to Disk. All content of main memory is saved to non-volatile memory such as a hard drive, and is powered down.
G2 (S5), Soft Off: G2 is almost the same as G3 Mechanical Off, but some components remain powered so the computer can "wake" from input from the keyboard, clock, modem, LAN, or USB device.
G3, Mechanical Off: The computer's power consumption approaches close to zero, to the point that the power cord can be removed and the system is safe for dis-assembly (typically, only the real-time clock is running off its own small battery).

From what I used to know (maybe not with sandy bridges's) S1 will still keep CPU fan on and ram = ~30-55 watts of power in standby, vs only ram being powered 5-15 watts. Big difference if you sleep overnight, etc.

S3-4 is what mac's do, laptops will S3+4 (In case of full battery drainage it will still be able to resume. When batteries go critical the machine will drop S3 and stay with S4. Honestly don't remember what the iMac did but I think it was the S3+4 hybrid or just S3.

powerpcg5 said:

Can someone else try S1?

Curious sidenote, do you have auto-sleep at all? From energy saver preferences? Mine's super delayed. (45 mins = 1.5 hours ~)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back