Contribute
Register

CustoMac Pro Install Guide (X58A-UD3R+ATI 5770+10.6.7+64bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: CustoMac Pro Install Guide (X58A-UD3R+ATI 5770+10.6.6+64bit)

I FINALLY GOT IT WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!! The reason it didn't work was because i was plugged in via HDMI. All that wasted effort for nothing... Your guide was great and you were very helpful. Thank you for this great guide and the help you have given me.

Can anybody share how you updated from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8, including when to reboot?? Thank you very much.

pearisgreen said:
Can anybody share how you updated from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8, including when to reboot?? Thank you very much.
There will be a video very soon on how to update.

With 10.6.8 busting up my system earlier I figured I'd give this a go to get to 64 bit finally. This really is a great guide ... fantastic job!

Chris

Would definitely love a tutorial on how to do a fresh install of this setup with 10.6.8. I've tried multiple times and every time I reboot it just stays on the gray boot screen with the spinning wheel. This .8 update is driving me nuts. :thumbdown:

Anybody else getting kernal panics with this build after updating to 10.6.8? Solutions?

Sorry - I've been away for 1.5 weeks.

All those with issues with 10.6.8 - are you downloading the combo update?

yea mine has been from the combo update. maybe the screenshot will help?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-30 at 7.34.41 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-06-30 at 7.34.41 PM.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 129

featherodd said:
Anybody else getting kernal panics with this build after updating to 10.6.8? Solutions?

Yes, I am. Only overclocked at first, but it seems very temperamental.

I updated to 10.6.8 using the combo. first time up, got a kernel panic. removed an external hard drive. rebooted. On the boot up, BIOS said it's defaulting the speed back to 3.2ghz (base speed). I acknowledged, let it go, and i'm in, but clocked at 3.2ghz (I'm running a 960). Ran multibeast to rollback sound. Rebooted. Worked.

I went back into BIOS to set things back to my 4.0ghz settings. I could not get booted up while overclocked. Kernel panics every time.

I figured I would redo the entire multibeast routine, and update myself to chimera while I was at it since I was still running an old version of Chameleon. Now I couldn't get past the kernel panic even at 3.2ghz.

I had mangled everything so much I decided to return to a backup image I had before. Loaded that back up, now I'm in 10.6.7, clocked at 4.0ghz again, and everything is fast and stable.

I'm confident I could update to 10.6.8 at 3.2ghz. But the temps were high. And no real benefits. I'm not sure if 4.0 will be stable. At this point, it doesn't seem like it's worth my time to risk having to remirror the drive again for an update that doesn't really give me any benefits. Perhaps it will get me ready for Lion? I'll cross that bridge when the time comes.

Same.

I've updated my backup drive (HDD) to test for stability, and I had a decent number of problems. Finally, I got it to boot after a combo update and a full Multibeast 3.7.3 run. But because I have an xfx 5770 pushing a 27 inch Apple monitor.... boot to black (the sleep trick and the plug/unplug mini Display Port trick didn't work). So I had to replace 3 S/L/E kexts related to ATI drivers with the 10.6.7 versions-- then it booted and worked fine. Temps did see a little higher, but it could be that some background process was running post-updated.

In any case, I've kept my production install at 10.6.7.

With Lion coming soon-- I figure I'll wait to move my primary drive until I see how the Lion install goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back