Contribute
Register

CustoMac Pro Install Guide (X58A-UD3R+ATI 5770+10.6.7+64bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those with fresh install issues, try rebooting after the 10.6.8 update, then boot using iBoot again and then run MultiBeast. Seems like you have to add an extra reboot in the middle.

I've also got black screen with my screen over DVI so I need to do some more testing.

I'm wondering something, I'm also running the current setup but im using a rev 1.0 mobo.
I've got Snow Leopard 10.6.8 running fully through this guide. The only thing I'm wondering is when i install 64-bit boot i get a kernel panic after a while and i can't get in osx by running it in safe mode. What might be the cause? I'm afraid to re-produce the problem as my mac runs smoothly atm! Just the 64-bit mode would be a extra pluspoint to get it working :)

BassPhreak said:
I'm wondering something, I'm also running the current setup but im using a rev 1.0 mobo.
I've got Snow Leopard 10.6.8 running fully through this guide. The only thing I'm wondering is when i install 64-bit boot i get a kernel panic after a while and i can't get in osx by running it in safe mode. What might be the cause? I'm afraid to re-produce the problem as my mac runs smoothly atm! Just the 64-bit mode would be a extra pluspoint to get it working :)

This set up is fully supported in 64 bit mode - if you are having issues when booting 64 bit then it is likely to be something else that is causing the issues. Such as any other hardware that you have plugged in and their drivers, potentially a hardware issue (please try running Memtest and Prime95/IntelBurnTest), BIOS settings, or something else completely.

Have you been through this ?
http://www.tonymacx86.com/wiki/index.php/Troubleshooting

I updated to 10.6.8. First tho to the FF bios as I had the FB one. Then installed the combo 10.6.8. It completed then unexpectely quit. Rebooted and 10.6.8 showed in the info. Reran multi beast the newest one then restarted and got a kp. Restarted the computer and its up and running.

hi boys, i have a strange issue.
i have done a clean installation, 10.6.3 + 10.6.8 update combo.
the problem is that if i boot normally, i have kernel panic (see photo below).
if i boot with -v flag, everything goes right.
what can i do?

Attachments

• IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 178
I have an issue with my screen and 10.6.8 - in so far as I get a black screen upon the final bit of booting into OSX desktop. So I'm running 10.6.8 combo update and then I replaced the ATI kexts in /S/L/E with the 10.6.7 iMac kexts.

But I know that there are plenty of other people with this set up booting fine. I had this issue earlier with older methods of getting graphics on the 5770 before Kably's fixes in Chimera/Chameleon - so I am aware that it is my screen not the hardware set up.

I would suggest getting a second HD for a few £ or $ and trying a fresh install of OSX on that hard disk and running the 10.6.8 combo update on that disk. If that works fine for you then I would make a back up of your current 10.6.7 main drive, then run the combo update on your main install (note I'm not recommending running Software Update).

The reason I am suggesting this is that I don't want a to leave you all with systems that you cannot use because you cannot see the screen. I haven't had time to do more testing to see if the screen works after sleep then re-wake or via VGA instead of DVI. I will do some more testing this week.

An alternative is to set up VNC/screen sharing and you can always log in via another Mac but that assumes that you have another to help fix it.

Always back up before such an update so it is then a 15-20 minute job to repair your boot HD if you need to !!!

xelanaiznac said:
hi boys, i have a strange issue.
i have done a clean installation, 10.6.3 + 10.6.8 update combo.
the problem is that if i boot normally, i have kernel panic (see photo below).
if i boot with -v flag, everything goes right.
what can i do?

Your hardware is quite a bit different to that for the install guide. I think it could be something to do with your CPU potentially. Did everything work fine with 10.6.7 combo update after install ? I don't know much about the 990x processors.

thank you for the answer notshy. i have boot into windows (other disk) and then boot again in mac without -v. everything now is alright

xelanaiznac said:
thank you for the answer notshy. i have boot into windows (other disk) and then boot again in mac without -v. everything now is alright

Glad it's working !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back