Contribute
Register

CustoMac Pro Install Guide (X58A-UD3R+ATI 5770+10.6.7+64bit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: CustoMac Pro Install Guide (X58A-UD3R+ATI 5770+10.6.6+64bit)

yeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssss.......
finally i made it......the problem was setting 32-bit GraphicsEnabler=yes

tnx ...... :headbang:

now time machine and........to experiment some software installs

Ok, so I'm posting back to this thread because my problem (KP on the first reboot after running memtest from CD) disappeared.

Only thing I did was over-clock to 3.8 Ghz HT on, Turbo off, (21 x 181 blck), set voltages manually (VCore 1.2 at max, VTT 1.315) and uncore to 16x, memory to 8x. I was aiming for 4.0 Ghz, but my temps were getting too high and I'd rather keep HT on and run 3.8 at 1.2 VCore cool rather than push it until I have time to get the voltages low enough to cool things down.

Anyway, Geekbench 64-bit is ~12,500, memtest, Intel Burn Test, and Prime 95 are error-free thus far.

Thanks!

justruss said:
Ok, so I'm posting back to this thread because my problem (KP on the first reboot after running memtest from CD) disappeared.

Only thing I did was over-clock to 3.8 Ghz HT on, Turbo off, (21 x 181 blck), set voltages manually (VCore 1.2 at max, VTT 1.315) and uncore to 16x, memory to 8x. I was aiming for 4.0 Ghz, but my temps were getting too high and I'd rather keep HT on and run 3.8 at 1.2 VCore cool rather than push it until I have time to get the voltages low enough to cool things down.

Anyway, Geekbench 64-bit is ~12,500, memtest, Intel Burn Test, and Prime 95 are error-free thus far.

Thanks!

Glad - I thought it might be a BIOS issue. I'd consider upping your QPI/VTT voltage a touch but if you find that it's rock solid then no need. 1.355 in the BIOS should do the trick. Given the i7 series processors have an integrated memory controller with the CPU, it's a good idea to give it enough voltage especially as you are running 12GB.

I've got my i7-930 to 3.8Ghz - I've got it stable at 4 before but temps go above 85 so I'm considering a new cooler but not sure if it's really worth it for a slightly higher geek bench score!

Good luck !

I was just about the same place, regarding temps. Mine ran stable at 4.0 (191 x 21), but I had the case fans on high (now they are on low), and I was toeing above 85c when Intel Burn Test was hitting max temps (real temp), a couple degrees lower with prime 95. Now at 3.8 (181 x 21) I'm staying below 77 max, and mostly 75 and below at the absolute highest Intel Burn Test temps.

I feel comfortable seeing temps up to 80C with Intel Burn Test... but not higher, even though the processor is supposed to be fine until 100C. It's also winter right now, so the room is definitely cooler than it will be.

In any case, I'm moving to Germany (from the States) in a couple months, so I'll hold off on a new cooler until then. That said, I may try a few other multi x blck and voltages to see if I can get to 4.0 without hitting my cut-off temps.

Either way, this machine is seriously flying right now.

All thanks to you, TonyMac Macman, and your various install guides! My next plan is to test the second DVD-RW drive (7241s-OB) to make sure it doesn't interfere with sleep-- then post back to this thread/wiki.

I'm new here, but I think the wiki is a GREAT resource-- that is unfortunately not very filled out. There are so many of us with slightly different setups, and if we all posted to the wiki (with notes on what is working/not) it would be so much more complete for noobs looking to find components that work. I wish I could help spearhead that effort.

justruss said:
I wish I could help spearhead that effort.

Lead the way !

Just wanted to add that my Sony Optiarc 7241s-OB worked using this build during a short test-- reads, burns, sleep/wake both work.

In fact, I had both an Optiarc 7241s and 7260s running at the same time, both burning DVDs... quickly. Sleep/wake worked with both drives installed and hooked up.

My install finally worked with my 5770 card !! Thanks a lot notshy for posting this guide!!

phantom1998 said:
My install finally worked with my 5770 card !! Thanks a lot notshy for posting this guide!!
:clap: Cheers

Please update your signature! :eek:)

igianni84 said:
Hi, I want buy the silent version of Gigabyte HD 5770 (Link: http://www.trovaprezzi.it/categoria.asp ... x=&sbox=sb)... Is the same of the Batmobile version?

Please DO NOT BUY A NON-REFERENCE ATI 5770 CARD

Reference = 2 x DVI + HDMI + Display Port
Non-reference = anything else usually only 1xDVI

It should be possible to make this work but you will need to experiment with different frame buffers.

If you want a silent cell card - I'd maybe go for the nVidia 9800 GT silent cell:
http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3104

Do you do a lot of gaming in Windows or would be using the Hack more exclusively in OSX for non-gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back