Contribute
Register

Customac mATX question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah nice one thanks :)
So judging on the info would you advice a RMA ?
Then I'll go ahead and do that.
Maybe also go with another GPU model? as seems people have issues with this one... which one you guys recommend instead?
have you tested the card in windows?

have you tested the card in windows?

@pastrychef @UtterDisbelief

Hi Folks
It has been a while.. but I'm still experiencing the same crashes as mentioned before ( photo attached )
and yes I have installed windows and have not been able to provoke a crash by stressing the GPU.
I have now noticed one important detail; the crash seems to happen mostly after I wake the computer from sleep mode.. this should maybe indicate what the issue could be with the setup ?

Attachments

• IMG_2066.JPG
    IMG_2066.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 38
@pastrychef @UtterDisbelief

Hi Folks
It has been a while.. but I'm still experiencing the same crashes as mentioned before ( photo attached )
and yes I have installed windows and have not been able to provoke a crash by stressing the GPU.
I have now noticed one important detail; the crash seems to happen mostly after I wake the computer from sleep mode.. this should maybe indicate what the issue could be with the setup ?

This looks like the classic symptom of a failing video card.

If the video card is stable in Windows, maybe it's the cooling (or lack of) in macOS. Make sure the fan(s) on the video card are spinning adequately to cool the video card.

oak
This looks like the classic symptom of a failing video card.

If the video card is stable in Windows, maybe it's the cooling (or lack of) in macOS. Make sure the fan(s) on the video card are spinning adequately to cool the video card.
Okay so the rx580 fans don't run on startup and they don't start running when opening premiere pro and playing 4K files. They do start running when running a hardware stress test application.. I found another thread about the 580 fans not running ( here ) and a person said to install a fan monitor software which I tried . The RX580 doesn't even show up in this app? Could this be a bios issue causing my issues? I've set the bios settings shown in your z390 Guide
Screenshot 2020-07-21 at 22.40.48.png

oak

Okay so the rx580 fans don't run on startup and they don't start running when opening premiere pro and playing 4K files. They do start running when running a hardware stress test application.. I found another thread about the 580 fans not running ( here ) and a person said to install a fan monitor software which I tried . The RX580 doesn't even show up in this app? Could this be a bios issue causing my issues? I've set the bios settings shown in your z390 Guide
View attachment 481286

Those apps don't always report GPU fans accurately. Try different fork of FakeSMC and plug-ins.

Those apps don't always report GPU fans accurately. Try different fork of FakeSMC and plug-ins.
Ah ok
What do you mean by different fork of FakeSMC ? is FakeSMC something I install and then try out a plug-in?

Ah ok
What do you mean by different fork of FakeSMC ? is FakeSMC something I install and then try out a plug-in?

FakeSMC is a kext that simulates the SMC chip on real Macs. There are different forks of it. They all come with different plug-ins (these are also kexts) that can provide additional sensors for things like CPU fan, GPU fan, etc.

If you want try them, just replace whichever version of FakeSMC (and its plug-ins) you are currently using.

Plug-ins from different forks of FakeSMC can not be mixed and matched with different forks of FakeSMC.

FakeSMC is a kext that simulates the SMC chip on real Macs. There are different forks of it. They all come with different plug-ins (these are also kexts) that can provide additional sensors for things like CPU fan, GPU fan, etc.

If you want try them, just replace whichever version of FakeSMC (and its plug-ins) you are currently using.

Plug-ins from different forks of FakeSMC can not be mixed and matched with different forks of FakeSMC.
Thank you so much
I will try a different FakeSMC and plugins than the ones in the EFI folder from your guide.

Just one more rookie question :)
How do I know which Kexts belong to which, when changing the FakeSMC
and is it okay just to drag and drop?

Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 21.41.29.png

Just one more rookie question :)
How do I know which Kexts belong to which, when changing the FakeSMC
and is it okay just to drag and drop?

View attachment 481496

In this instance, VirtualSMC is the SMC emulator and SMCProcessor and SMCSuperIO provides the sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back