Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell XPS 15 9570
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
UHD 630/GTX 1050 Ti, 1920x1080
I'm trying to get Mojave 10.14.3 working on a XPS 9570, i7-8750H, 1920x1080 display, 16GB RAM, and a Samsung EVO 970 500GB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD. Some of those details can be seen in my profile.

Thanks to users like shenlinsl, Sevinkroff, bavariancake, Xigtun, and NicolasGT, I've been able to get Mojave installed and am now working on fixing what can be fixed.

Works
- Audio through speakers
- Resolutions
- Trackpad (no gestures)
- Integrated GPU
- Brightness Controls
- Sound Controls
- Audio through headphone jack
- Sleep

Doesn't Work
- HDMI out
- Battery capacity
- WiFi (card would need to be changed from the default)

Last edited:
What BIOS version is the best to be using on the 9570? I don't care about the drop in GPU thermal limit from 78C to 74C, but I don't want to lose being able to set my own custom fan profiles, which so far seems like I wouldn't be able to upgrade past 1.6.0.

Is there any major advantages to upgrade from 1.3.0 to 1.5.0 or 1.6.0? Once I go past 1.4.1 I can't downgrade anymore.

Last edited:
Today I installed RehabMan's fork of kozlek's FakeSMC.kext with sensor kexts and HWMonitor.app to monitor temperatures.

https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fakesmc-kozlek/downloads/RehabMan-FakeSMC-2018-0915.zip

I installed the HWMonitor.app to Applications and used KextBeast to install FakeSMC.kext and the remaining sensor kext files to /Library/Extensions.

Is that the correct way to do that? Is it okay to have a second FakeSMC.kext located in the /Library/Extensions folder on the SSD since I already have a another one in my EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other folder on the SSD?

Also, I am currently unable to control the fans. HWMonitor shows the minus sign under System Fan but does display the fan speed when it comes on automatically. Should there be two fans listed or does HWMonitor group both fans together as System Fan?

I installed Macs Fan Control and it just shows 'Left Fan' (when it comes on automatically) and am unable to set any custom profiles. Is that normal? I ran Geekbench today and the temperatures got to 82C before the fan spun up to around 2500rpm.

I didn't know what the default temperature fan thresholds were but it would be nice to be able to be able to set the fans to come on sooner if possible. It would also be nice to know that both fans are spinning when needed and not just one.

If that can be solved, the next things to fix (if possible) would be getting the audio to not crackle/static through the headphone jack (Realtek ALC3266), (audio is currently fine through the speakers), be able to use HDMI out, and possibly adjust the trackpad so it doesn't skip down in location when I double click it. Trackpad gestures would be helpful but I don't know how difficult that is to fix.

Last edited:
Have you looked at these?

Also look at the issues posted there in all those repositories:

Thanks for posting the links in this thread, I'm sure others are interested in getting Mojave installed on this laptop. I'm at this point now thanks to those four users which is why I thanked them at the very beginning of my first post.

Yesterday I was able to get the audio through the headphones working and the trackpad is also working better now.

I keep updating my previous post for what works and what doesn't.

The next thing I'd like to get working is HDMI out.

I see you have the same laptop and configuration, do you have HDMI out working yet? Would you happen to have a link to get that accomplished, or did I miss something in one of those users' githubs?

Last edited:
HDMI doesn't seem completely solved yet.
Look here:

Can you share your EFI folder?
Thanks !

Here you go!

We have the same setup so if you see anything in there that should be improved let me know.

Thanks for the links and information about the current progress of HDMI output on this laptop.

I'll look into why I can't make custom fan profiles in Macs Fan Control next, I ran Cinebench today and it got up to 94C before the fan spun up.

Attachments

• XPS.9570.EFI.phantom.March.26.2019.zip
    9 MB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Here is mine, if you try it let me know how it goes!
I have sleep working with this one which is a big improvement to what I had recently.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    24.3 MB · Views: 195
Thanks for sharing!

I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know.

I tried out your EFI today, it seems to be working better than the one I posted.

If you implemented the adjustments Sevinkroff posted for the power management issues related to audio, which is likely since your sleep is working with brightness adjustment enabled, then your EFI may currently be the 'best' EFI available for our specific configuration.

From one of the links you posted I saw alexmenn was able to get HDMI working through a USB-C hub and Lulettersoul got Displayport working using a USB-C to Displayport cable.

I wonder if a USB-C to HDMI cable would work? I don't have one of those yet but if you do or someone else reading this does maybe they can try it and report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back