Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
(Now a build thread!) Custom case question regarding minimum size, mini itx and gpu's

I want to build a custom case for which I am constrained by two dimensions but have freedom on the third.

The case is would be a tight one: 11 1/4" x 7" x ???

I would like the ??? dimension to be as small as possible. The case will have to be deeper than it is tall, so if you were looking at it from the side, it would be 11 1/4" (W) x 7" (H). From the front it would be ??? (W) x 7" (H) and from the top it would be 12" by ???.

What is the minimum width that this case could be that could support a mini itx and a more-or-less full length gpu, either with or without a riser configuration?

Thanks!

I want to build a custom case for which I am constrained by two dimensions but have freedom on the third.

The case is would be a tight one: 11 1/4" x 7" x ???

I would like the ??? dimension to be as small as possible. The case will have to be deeper than it is tall, so if you were looking at it from the side, it would be 11 1/4" (W) x 7" (H). From the front it would be ??? (W) x 7" (H) and from the top it would be 12" by ???.

What is the minimum width that this case could be that could support a mini itx and a more-or-less full length gpu, either with or without a riser configuration?

Thanks!
So a mini ITX motherboard is 17cmx17cm (6.7 × 6.7 in) so technically the minimum width (looking at the front of the case) couldn't be smaller than 17cm, but likely to be larger than this, it really depends on what else you want to put in it, and how you arrange the internal components. If you use the DQ77KB or other thin MB then you don't need an internal ATX PSU, which is a big saving on space.

Small cases always require thought about cooling, the simplest approach is to simply draw the air into the main cpu fan directly from outside the case. There are plenty of builds in this section to give you ideas my favourite is probably the following:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/others/94282-mac-audio-my-hackintosh-based-music-player.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/others/89452-neilharts-scratch-build-case-2-a.html

Then there is my own "Self Build" (see the link in signature) the case without the legs measures 200x200x55mm (7.7 x 7.9 x 2.2in)

Kiwi

Thanks for the reply!

I really should sit down with sketchup and draw this all out. I'm building this case from scratch (hint: wooden frame, metal panels) so I really can choose any width I'd like.

But given that my height is restricted to slightly more than 7" (the case won't make "sense" with the 11.25" dimension being the height due to the panels I've acquired--they have a design that only makes sense in "landscape"--I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that I have no choice but to mount the GPU perpendicular to the motherboard. Thus that is my minimum width constraint (plus clearances).

The only other option, I think, would be to mount the GPU on a riser, and "turn" the whole thing 90 degrees. The problem is that the ports would be pointing up and down. Then the minimum width is the height of the cooling apparatus from the top though the mother board, plus I'd have to run some sort of extensions to the back of the case (plus clearances).

Anyway, I'll try to draw up a model and return to this thread with a visual. :)

I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that I have no choice but to mount the GPU perpendicular to the motherboard. Thus that is my minimum width constraint (plus clearances).
No if you use a PCIE Extebder you can mount a graphics card parallel to the MB. See this post.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mac-pro-mods/120757-mac-pro-late-2013-replica.html

I think a visual would be a Very! good idea.

I will, but I don't even have anything to photograph yet. Just a concept...... :)

Is it protocol to post a thread and update while building, or to complete, or near complete the build before starting a thread? If we can start a thread while just beginning, I should have something to show in about two weeks.......or less, if I can find the time.
It is up entirely up to you, when you want to start a thread. It comes down to when you have something to show, or want an opinion about something you intend to do. The only general rule I follow is "stay on topic", i.e. rather than ask questions about your own ideas and plans in someone else's thread, start your own thread and let people comment there.

Oh wait you have just done that. I do tend to ramble :silent:

Kiwi

PS I am not a moderator, so sorry if this isn't official policy.

Oh, don't worry - this rambling has made all the difference conceptually!

That ribbon extender just shrunk my case considerably (in my head).

Ramble away! :)

Here is a jpg of the case plan: 11.8 x 7.6 x 5.0 on the outer edges.

It's made of wood. The little semi-circles are the mounting points for the front and top panels - they'll stand off maybe a quarter of an inch or so on posts to allow air in. Both side panels will be set directly onto the frame with magnets so they can be removed for upgrades, cleaning, etc. The bottom panel will be a screen and the back panel will be a screen with the ports mounted in. (there will also be four legs on the lower cross-pieces, but I haven't decided what yet.

The frame will be made of pine, and then a nice veneer will be added on the viewable surfaces.

Attachments

• case plan.jpg
    case plan.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 560
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back