Contribute
Register

Cube project (WIP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
NCIX in Canada doesn't even have them anymore, and they stock EVERYTHING.

Neil,

Thanks for chiming in, I'm a huge admirer of your hacks!

The thin mITX GIGABYTE board I mentioned, from what I can tell, has the same DC-DC plug like the Intel variant. GIGABYTE is just giving you some flexibility with internal components as well. One of my main goals of this project is to have an internal PSU. Inline bricks aren't my style but I don't know how to utilize the pin-outs on the board.

As for my ASRock board, I'm loving it. I'm using it currently on Win7 with my 7870 Tahiti and it zips right along! (Bluetooth on Windows is still a huge struggle!)

I'm kind of putting the cube on the back burner for now. I'm thinking I'll go with some sort of QM87 or HM87 for the BGA processor for higher end integrated graphics.

In the meantime.. I have two Yosemites and a MDD that I'm going to start looking at. They may be stepping stones to my cube project.

So, over the past week or so I've accumulated a variety of cases for modding. Here's my current inventory:

2x PowerMac G3 (Yosemite)
1x PowerMac G4 Cube
1x PowerMac G4 (Quicksilver)
1x PowerMac G4 (Mirror Drive Door)
1x PowerMac G5

I'm eventually hoping to mod all of these but with the little shop skills I have I'm going to shift my focus to an easier project than the cube. I just tore down one of the B&W units and it seems much more manageable for a first mod! ;)

I'm taking my cues from Stanley's "Budget G3 Powerhack" and have disassembled the entire unit including exterior plastic so I'm down to a bare aluminum box. I'll start a thread over in the B&W forum rather than muck this thread up further.

You should use the DQ77KB. I have two of them (see sig) and they run very well. Unfortunately it's discontinued now...

Good luck with your project!

MacTester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back