PowerColor 7870 MYST Edition
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My brother and I just started exploring a cube project. We are both big fans of a lot of the work displayed on this board, thanks for all the inspiration! Here's the basics of what we're planning:

i5-4670k
Z87 mini-ITX
mSATA SSD - Mushkin Atlas 240GB
Built-in PSU - Athena Power AP-MFATX40P8
Liquid Cooling - Black Ice GTX Xtreme M160
No 2.5" drive
No 3.5" drive
No optical drive

Hopefully getting to play with OC on CPU as well as integrated GPU tweaks. We wanted to avoid the external bricks associated with pico-PSU and since we aren't adding any cabled drives I think we can achieve that!

We would be very interested in all of your input and suggestions. I'll update as the project progresses.. :)

You might be able to cram it all in there with no SATA drives. Good luck and post progress!

We have the cube disassembled and after taking measurements I'm planning on housing the PSU and radiator on the large side and the mobo on the short small side (facing the middle).

This is my first dealings with liquid cooling. I'm wondering if a reservoir is required or if the tank within the radiator is sufficient. The GTX M160 I found should sit nicely beside the power supply but I wasn't sure if I needed to factor in room for an additional piece. Also, since it's not a kit it seems I have to choose cooling block, piping, clamps, and fittings all independently. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I've been reading up on minihack's liquid cool hack and it seemed like the liquid cool system was frustrating.

We rotated the center piece 180 degrees so the flat portion of the spreader will be up against the PSU and radiator, if the PSU is mounted flush against that will it help with heat dispersion at all? I'm also hoping to find an 80mm "side blow fan" similar to the one here. If anyone has any leads on that I would like to utilize the original exhaust on the top of the cube.

Just some things I've been mulling over before calling it a night. Thanks for the input!

My brother and I just started exploring a cube project. We are both big fans of a lot of the work displayed on this board, thanks for all the inspiration! Here's the basics of what we're planning:

i5-4670k
Z87 mini-ITX
mSATA SSD - Mushkin Atlas 240GB
Built-in PSU - Athena Power AP-MFATX40P8
Liquid Cooling - Black Ice GTX Xtreme M160
No 2.5" drive
No 3.5" drive
No optical drive

Hopefully getting to play with OC on CPU as well as integrated GPU tweaks. We wanted to avoid the external bricks associated with pico-PSU and since we aren't adding any cabled drives I think we can achieve that!

We would be very interested in all of your input and suggestions. I'll update as the project progresses.. :)

Good luck.

Take a quick look at the dimensions.

Rad thickness 54mm, minimum dimension of your PSU 43mm. Proper ITX board will take my guess a minimum of 50mm to squeeze in. There is only 170mm space on each axis if you keep to roughly the internal 'can' dimensions. This leaves very little room for an internal fan and for routing of the pipework and cables (I don't know how slim you can go on a fan for this, but even so where will it have room to pull the air into it to drive it through the fan?).

That is just looking at one of the dimensions but looking at your rad height of 195mm means no way Jose unless the radiator is allowed to hang 30mm below the usual base height of the can. So unless you are abandoning the internal can completely and then spraying the perspex to hide the internals the look will be "industrial" to say the least!

The biggest rad dimension that would fit in a Cube format without extending out of the main 'can' is a 140mm rad. Water cooling considerations also are: how to bleed (the Alphacools are brilliant in having so many ins and outs you can bleed a closed loop system with little difficulty and I definitely recommend that if you are going closed loop, no res); do you go for a reservoir?; do you go for an integrated pump and block? Tube type and diameter - I went for 6mm internal, 8mm external mainly because of the H80 integrated block I used and it seems to work fine. If space is really tight you could try rigid copper piping but that is likely to be a real PITA in terms of build up.

If you are going to seriously get the whole PSU in there, then keep in mind this is also a heat generator and the consequences of a water leak onto a high voltage supply are much greater than onto a 12v one. Though hopefully if you get it side by side with the rad (assuming you do go long instead of wide) that can't happen. Also that little fan in the PSU is likely to be a screamer.

So a brief look at the numbers leaves me sceptical. Having said that, I of course am doing a build myself with very similar aims - although my aims are more to producing the most powerful Cube I can which is also quiet and cool - and people were sceptical about that too.....often where there is a will, there is a way.

Maybe my build can give you some inspiration on where to grab space from and scale up.

minihack,

Thanks for helping out with the dimensions and encouragement. I'm looking at changes to radiator and original heat sink, hoping I can still make an internal PSU work. I aspire to have the time and resources like some of you guys! My favorite part about this project is that I know I have lots to learn!

I meant it when I said good luck.

I really find it interesting exploring what can be done in this format and each year more possibilities for ever more powerful (or quiet or compact or just clever) builds open up as the technology progresses.

My main question for you at this planning stage though is, if you really want to go the water cooling route, then what is the point of keeping a heatsink which already takes up one third of the useable space in the Cube? Every square inch (centimetre) is precious and so in my view you need to be very focussed on what it is you want to do and then what hardware is going to be best to achieve it.

I know what you mean about costs and that is why instead of moving on to a new board I have to carry on with Z77 and tear down one build to make another. In some ways I think coming to a project without any hardware that you NEED to use is quite liberating because you can start with a clean page.

I am sure you will find many people on here that are very happy to help (that is the kind of place this is) and I'll be very ready to do so too. Having said that though, sometimes you will probably find it better to just close your ears and try something - and that's when something new and exciting happens!

I'll look forward to reading your process and if you need any input don't hesitate to ask.

:)

The first thing I did before cutting any internals was get a board so I could start planning around the board. With as ambitious as your build you aren't going to be able to keep the internal heat sinks. I'm using a Pico Power. I was going to gut the original PSU case and put the brick in that but I found out I could sell it and make almost enough for the Pico Power and brick.

Well, to be honest, I had the ASRock Z87E-ITX on order anyway. It was going to go into a CoolerMaster Elite 120 and then a Cube fell into my lap. So the MLB and SSD just showed up and I can start figuring out how that can all go together. I've been searching for smaller PSUs and my brother just found Apex SL-275TFX. I also found a dual 70mm radiator in the Aquagate Viva! Does anyone have experience trying to put this in a cube, I think I would need to at least mod it to have the hoses come out the side instead of the top.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    645.1 KB · Views: 243
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back