Contribute
Register

Create a "Fusion Drive" on your CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a corollary to my Nov 12 comments, I'll be doing a practical setup of a FD with 2 RAID'd SSD's as the SSD end of things. Just built a new machine, after about a week of kext/HW shake down on running on a HDD, I'll bet trying the RAID/FD setup. In case anyone is still following that possibility...

I'm still following this !!

I've searched on the net for hours, yet I finally found ONE guy (you) who would make a FD using 2 SSDs in RAID0 !!

That is what I plan to do, please keep us informed, I really want to know if it works :D

Good luck

OniSenshi

anyone got an error -69780 "unable to create a new CoreStorage Logical Volume" while creating corestorage. i am using samsung ssd 840 pro 128gb and WT 1TB 7200rmp for fusion drive. i dont know why i get this error. it doesn't explain much. please help. thank you

I don't remember the error code of the top of my head, but i seem to remember very similar to this when I had a wifi daughter board on my ITX Gigabyte-z77n-WIFI board trying to make a fusion-style LVM bootable logical drive. Stopped happening when I took the wifi daughterboard off.

-dave

ssd+raid 0 fusion possible?

Can you only fusion ONE SSD and ONE HDD? I currently have ML running on a 128GB SSD where I also keep my apps, and two 1TB HDD in raid 0 for storage. Can I fusion the SSD and the raid 0 pair? I imagine if this were possible, I'll get benefits of both fusion *and* raid 0. True?

Can you only fusion ONE SSD and ONE HDD? I currently have ML running on a 128GB SSD where I also keep my apps, and two 1TB HDD in raid 0 for storage. Can I fusion the SSD and the raid 0 pair? I imagine if this were possible, I'll get benefits of both fusion *and* raid 0. True?

You should in theory have the add safety features of the RAID Zero config. I haven't setup a fusion drive with RAID volumes, but I believe others have.

Good luck, let us know how if works out.

Mrengles

It would be great if I could great a RAIDed fusion setup for my working files (like the drobo does with msata caching). I have a RAID0 setup right now that gets 400/400 R/W but it just seems that I could gain a huge benefit from an SSD handling all the smaller tasks/files

I just received a G5 and I am planning on moving my Hackintosh into it. Along the way I'd like to do some upgrades including adding Mac Fusion.

Can I use CCC to back up my current SSD, then do the Mac Fusion Process, and then restore my original CCC backup to the new Mac Fusion drive?

Update:
I've done some checking on Carbon Copy Cloner's website, and it says that I won't be able to make a CCC backup of a Mac Fusion drive, but it doesn't say anything about restoring to one. :\

I got a Fusion Drive made, copied my OS X on it, rebooted with Clover and GUI shows bunch of icons and two Boot OS X icons. I named Fusion Drive Macintosh HD, but it doesn't show that, so I click Boot OS X and gets to Macintosh HD boot.

Is this normal behavior? I see Clover will see Boot OS X partition, but doesn't see Fusion Drive?

Attached is my diskutil list and it shows two drive that made Fusion Drive with and another drive which is Fusion drive.

I am confused.

Attachments

• Screen_Shot_2013_02_01_at_7.04.40_PM.png
    Screen_Shot_2013_02_01_at_7.04.40_PM.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 539
Hi Mrengles

What is it terminal code that restores the separation Alhardsk Drive again ?
i want separation HDD and SSD

When you want to edit DSDT or chameleon.plist, do you have to run the terminal step and copy extra files on both partitions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back