Contribute
Register

Craig's Build: ASUS P8P67-LE / i5-2400 / GTX 550 Ti / 10.7.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you post in the DSDT request forum so one with a lot more experience will be able to help you hopefully! I wouldn't give up hope yet, stick at it as best you can! I've had my fair amount of problems lol - it hasn't been an easy ride but it is rewarding.

I am using my build to run Xcode and I haven't experienced any problems, apart from Xcode itself is one of the buggiest programs ever!

Well is pretty obvious that I don't use Mac for gaming and such but is annoying to see that you are lagging when you resize a window (btw, is there any way that I can disable the resize effect? I know you can on windows) or try to run simple OpenGL apps.
But I'm running Xcode decent along with eclipse, code blocks and coda 2.

I did some research, I'm using now iMac12,2 as system definition and I modified AppleGraphicsPowerManagement, now I don't get more fps but I get rid of random freezing and by some reason youtube 1080p is working :headbang: even tho I get ±10 fps only in Cinebench

The sad part is that I'm still using an EFI string since I can't get my graphic card to get recognized, I tried with MB patch, I tried with Nvidia official drivers and Cuda, adding graphic card ID to kexts, GraphicsEnabler= Yes/No, npci=0x2000/3000 al possible combinations, no luck, I stick with EFI string for now. As I said above, my last hope is ML's hopefully better support.

Later edit: Just for a test I tried to run mine craft to see my frame rate, when I press F3 the frame drops a little, however, it shows 25 fps, I guess that when I'm not pressing F3 I have ±35 fps. Don't know what to say 35 fps seems somehow decent but for a game like mine craft is an embarrassing low fps :(

vladandrei,
Craigrox had a very good suggestion to ask about the DSDT in the DSDT forum section. I think you've exhausted any ability to solve your problem in this thread.

However, I'd post your problem and history in the Graphics forum section which is probably more appropriate.

Good luck!

Really helpful. I have the same MOBO with the i5 2500k and a GTX 460. Do you know if your DSDT will work with my setup. Would i have to change some settings for the CPU? Btw Running Mountain Lion. Im fairly new to Hackintosh so thanks in advance.

For your 3rd Partition - Shared data, what format did you format it to?

From: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...-sleep-wake-freeze-thread-116.html#post605986
I noticed this the other day on the forum! It's a good setup :p but I have the BT magic mouse and keyboard.

I shall have to try this, thank you very much! What kind of setup do you have, which version of 10.8, which kexts have you installed for the card?
I'm running a modified bios I made using FTL I think it is called. More information about it below.

I'm running 10.8.3 and given the 550ti 10.8.3 has ran stabler than any of the other 10.8 iterations before it, when the gfx freeze fix is applied.

My MultiBeast 5.3.0 Settings:

Code:
UserDSDT or DSDT-Free Installation
Drivers & Bootloaders
  Drivers
    Audio
      Realtek ALC8xx
        Without DSDT  (If DSDT is being worked on, else With DSDT.)
          ALC892
    Graphics
      NVIDIA Fermi
        OpenCL Patch
          10.8.x OpenCL Patch
          NVIDIA Retail 304.00 ...
    Miscellaneous
      FakeSMC v5.1.61 Plugins
        Plugins
      PS/2 Keyboard/Mice and Trackpads  (For emergency fixes.)
    Network
      Realtek - Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx
    System
      AppleACPIPlatform Rollback
        10.8.1 Rollback    (Chipset and VT-d support.)
Customization
  Boot Options
    GraphicsEnabler=No  (Does not matter.)
  System Definitions
    iMac
      iMac 12,2  (Saves power over MacPro.)
  SSDT Options
    Sandy Bridge Core i5

TODO:

- Make my own SSDT. The i5 default SSDT will go between 16 and 32 (sometimes 34) for me. I'd like to go down to a speedstep of like 2 or whatever the lowest is for idle, and I'd like to go up to 38 or whatever the highest is for video rendering.

- Test if sleep works. Maybe it already works and I haven't tested it yet. I use my hackintosh as a server too, so sleep isn't an option, but having the ability to sleep is kind of cool.

-Update dsdt.aml. I'm a bit disappointed with all of the work I've put into it and little reward. It seems like doing a dsdt install without dsdt.aml works just as well except the graphics card changes put into the dsdt. I'm wondering if there is anything else that can be done to optimize the system through a dsdt I overlooked.

-Get my IDE CD ROM drive working. The IDE chip on the P8P67 LE runs through a fake raid card. I believe it is identifiable during USB install, but for some sort of reason not from multibeast. It isn't a big deal and a low priority as I never use it. At this point in time I'm considering physically removing my CD ROM drive all together. It is 2013 after all.

-USB 3.0 plugs. If I plug a USB 2.0 thumb drive into one of the 3.0 slots it isn't read. I could care less about USB 3.0 speed as I have nothing that fast, but I'd like to get those two thumb drive plugs working at least.

---

-I'm running optical out for sound, not analog.

-My monitor is weird in that only VGA works even if it is a 1080p monitor, so I'm running a dvi to vga converter. Everything works fine. PCIRootUID=0 is a bit annoying during first install though.

-Gigabit ethernet: Copying files over the network from a remote ssd samba share to /tmp here I get max 50MB/s which is almost exactly half gigabit speed. I'm not entirely sure if it is the ethernet drivers or the neighboring computers as none of them have a ram disk or equivalent so testing is pointless. Even if I am limited to 500mbps on the LAN I'm happy with that. Network drivers have been stable so far.

-Case is an Antec Cool and Quiet v1. I've loved this case so much I've held onto it for like 10 years now. Inside over the CPU I've got a minor water cooling setup. It is nothing fancy, but overclocking on Windows runs stable all the way past 4ghz but starts heating the room up a bit too much. It makes me wish I would have sprung for a k version of this CPU.

OH YES! BIOS! :D

So I had a newer custom bios version than you that I made and it worked wonders. No NullCPUPowerManagement. After that I decided to try to fix the 550ti and so I changed my dsdt.aml that I made on my own to nearly identical settings you ended up with. After doing so everything seemed fine, but it felt like the gfx change was cosmetic. Like the system was the same, so what is the point of the dsdt beyond a minor cosmetic gfx change?

I figured you may have done something better/different and it was worth a try so I made the same BIOS version you posted on your system build thread. This firmware downgrade was unnoticable beyond having to rechange some of the bios settings like putting it in advanced mode.

After I changed the bios version I decided to try your dsdt.aml. After booting up the system felt the same.. identical really. So it was a waste of time.

Right now I'm running your BIOS version with your dsdt file, or the gfx one you posted in the past. Because my system is stable and I'm lazy I'm not going to change it back. I figure in a year when bios versions are updated even more I'll probably update the bios and make my own dsdt again, but in the mean time yours works beautifully. Thank you for sharing it so I could compare, even if we ended up doing all the same things and taking the same route.

---

My hard drive setup is such that I have 3 physical drives. One has OSX installed on it, the other has downloads (bit t*****t and what not), and the final one has Windows on it, or will. atm the 3rd hdd has OSX install on it too in case of emergency.

Actually, what should really be done imho is getting a thumb drive and installing not the OSX installer on it, but OSX installed itself in a safe mode default, verbose default, working default. This way if **** hits the fan instead of having another partition or another hard drive with a second install there could be a rescue thumb drive better than what tonymac supplies atm. What do you think? I've got a 32GB thumb drive here. I could put one partition as OSX install and another partition as OSX installed itself. hmm.. What do you think?

---

Most important of all! FREEZE FIX!

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...ck-latest-drivers-10-8-3-a-21.html#post604242

I added it to bootup in my user settings and I haven't had a single freeze since. I wish I had a kill-o-watt atm so I could compare watts running it, but so far running it 10.8.3 has been the most stable 10.8 OSX for the 550ti yet. I'm now having 0 freezes, can put the monitor to sleep without problem, no graphic glitches, and screen saver runs fine. I've got full openGL and openCL support. Everything runs smooth. Nothing is choppy. It is nice. :)

---

I think I've covered everything at this point. Of course, feel free to ask any questions and I will be more than glad to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Craigrox Thanks for the PM. AWESOME information! :D

However, due to new forum rules I have to have 50 posts to be able to PM you back. At least I got your PM. It is silly too as I have a PM history helping others in the past. anyways:

10.8.4 AWESOME! :D I'm waiting for the non-beta. Thank you for the fantastic information. It made my day.

Craigrox said:
SSDT - there are generation scrips available, you just input a few details and have a DDSDT to your specific system.
I know. I'm just lazy. lol

Craigrox said:
DSDT - I have re-done my ML DSDT and correctly identifies the 550 Ti as 1024 MB, on-board audio, HDMI audio etc. I can send you it if you like?
Yes please. You'll probably want to post it to everyone here. We're not the only ones with the same setup after all.

What BIOS version are you using?

I don't use HDMI, so I will not test the HDMI audio.

I use my desktop OSX box as a server too so I don't plan on ever putting it to sleep. Regardless, does your dsdt fix it? I haven't tested sleep on the current dsdt I'm on that you made.

Craigrox said:
You also need a patched AppleHDA.kext for on-board audio - I also have that.
Not the multibeast patched one? What does it do differently? Can you please link to the thread that has this modified kext? The threads context would help.

Craigrox said:
USB 3.0 - Try the new GenericUSB 3.0 by rehabman that has found its way into the latest MultiBeast, that will enable 2.0 storage devices in the USB 3.0 ports.
USB 3.0 - Universal. I'll try it on reboot in a couple of days. Thank you!

---

My system is built from leftover parts. For example, the 550ti was won in a contest. Before that I had a 9800 which has awesome osx driver support, but I gave the 9800 away when I got the 550ti thinking it would work well.

After all this time, with the freezefix running 10.8.3 is the first 10.8 OSX that runs the 550ti without any problems. I'm so grateful! You probably understand how much **** I went through to get it working.

---

We ended up with most of the same results: I know what you've gone through to get your system working. This is the most hassle I've ever had for OSX, but I'm grateful to get it working.

Back in the 10.6 days I could run everything vanilla but audio drivers, and sleep problems. I miss the days where it just worked.

Thank you for all of the help and advice. It means a lot to me. I suspect it will help to a large number of people over the years who will read these forum posts too.

I tried clicking on the link to the rom version 3608 but it opens up a blank tab. :[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back