Contribute
Register

Crackling Focusrite 18i8 Fixed Using Kext Utility and Multibeast with Yosemite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H-BK (ATX)
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
GT 740
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Portable
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all.
I want to write this post for anyone who have crackling problems with the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8.
After three minutes of music playing the DAC starts crackling noiser with time.
I solved doing this:

These are my specs:
MoboGigabyte Mod 1150 GBT Z97X-UD3H-BK (ATX)CPUIntel 1150 i5-4690K Ci5 Box Processore da 3,5 Ghz,GraphicsEVGA Nvidia GeForce GT 740 SuperclockedOther HardwareFocusrite Scarlett 18i8

So its' easy to do.
First of all download Kext Utility from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/140647-latest-kext-utility-el-capitan-super-speed-edition/ and install it.
Second, download the voodooHDA.kext v.2.8.4 from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/297207-voodoohda-285-for-mavericks-slice-anv-signed/
Third, open kext utility and open the downloaded dmg. Drag the kext and drop it on Kext Utility. Wait the finish of installation.
Fourth, open MultiBeast and build then install Realtek ALC 1150 and Optional HDAEnabler>Audio ID: 1.
Reboot.

The Realtek Driver doesn't work properly for me. The Voodoo kext is probably the best choice for my specs, just because I've noticed that the realtek audio doesn't recognise all the audio port of my mobo. So i tried and then no crackling, clipping or any other noise and all audio ports are recognised.:thumbup:
So i recommend only to install the voodoo kext.:p

NOTICE: AUDIO PORTS NOT TESTED SO I DON'T REALLY KNOW IF THEY WORKS! BUT IN THEORY THEY WILL!

See u next time with other fixed problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your post! This helps a lot.

I installed the Voodoo kext 2.8.4, but that didn't work on yosemite. Installed then the last version 2.8.7, the headphone jack is working but no sound coming out of my internal speakers. They don't even appear anyomore in the output configuration. Any clue? Thanks in advance

Hi pacman, I have this exact problem - gradual degrading of audio using Scarlett 18i8, via any audio DAW, iTunes etc . Focusrite won't give any advice as it's Hackintosh :( boo

To make issues worse, I know nothing about building a hackintosh, i'm just a music producer - I bought my Hack from an italian company called ARTNOC, who are refusing to give any customer service!!! again - boo :(

I've tried different voodoo's via multibeast as you suggested, no joy still crackling after a few minutes.

Not sure if it's even possible, but could I effectively uninstall ALL audio drivers and just use the Focusrite drivers so there's no conflict? I don't ever need to use the soundcard in my Hackintosh...

If so, can anyone give me a step-by-step guide how to do this - for a completely new hackintosher?

I'm pulling my hair out trying different different usb ports/usb cables/drivers, deleting kexts that people have suggested, but I have no real clue what I'm doing... :crazy:

My spec is here if that helps: Chimera v4.1.0, Motherboard GA-Z97-HD3, Mavericks 10.9.5, Logic 9, I believe my Realtek is ALC888b v100302

PLEASE HELP!!!

Have you tried the voodooHDA.kext 2.8.4? Or maybe the others? Try to download the older versions or the newest but don't use multibeast use the kext utility http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/top...speed-edition. I don't think that only the focusrite driver works. Try voodooHDA KEXTES one by one.
It's very easy to do. Install the first version of voodoo HDA kext the 2.8.1 if i remember well. After that check in System Preferences/Sound/Input and OutPut if the system recognizes all the audio ports. If yes, test them. If they work you have finished!If the scarlett 18i8 works properly u have finished!
If NOT go to system/Library/Extensions and search voodooHDA.kext in the end of the folder. Delete it.
Now try to install the other voodooHDA.kext the 2.8.2 if it works keep it if not repeat the operation since you will find the correct kext.
The difference of this kext from Realtek one is that probably voodooHDA has got the chipset information to drive the USB audio devices. Don't ask me why it works.
In any case my advice is to use clover and not multibeast or chimera. I reinstalled yosemite with clover and all works perfectly without doing extremely patches or other bad stories. Try it.
:wave:

Thx for all your advice pacman! after some serious hounding of the guys at focusrite, i managed to get one of their customer support guys to look through my system reg. they told me to remove this GenericUSBXHCI.kext from the System > Library > Extensions folder

Since then everything is working perfectly!!! No idea what that kext does/was (to be honest the crappy guys Artnoc who built my computer also sent it to me without the wifi or the bluetooth working and it took me some time to get all that working, so maybe it's just another error from their end). They obviously didn't test the computer at all before sending it out, and then they refused to give any advice or help on how to fix the issues - they literally just ignored my emails for weeks!

A valuable lesson learnt - NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM ARTNOC EVER AGAIN!!!

Thanku again Pacman, maybe your ideas help someone else. Now onto making some music again
:headbang:

Wow, thank you so much for the advice to remove GenericUSBXHCI.kext. I was having exactly this problem and it was driving me crazy. The best I came up with was toggling the Cubase audio driver off and then back to the Scarlett, which sucked because it was impossible to predict when the distortion would return (inevitably, in the middle of a great take!). Fortunately it only affect the audio out - the recorded material would be fine.

Well after removing this kext, I've now had three multi-hour sessions with no return of the distortion. :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back