Asus R9 280x
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all,

Hoping someone out there can help me out here.

I've got what I thought was a pretty stable Hackintosh built using Clover. It took me a while to get things up & running, so am afraid of tweaking anything without some advice first.

GA-Z97MX-GAMING 5
i7-4790K
32GB 1600Mhz
250GB Samsung EVO SSD
AMD R9 280X

The system runs fine, but when I give it any load, like running GeekBench, the temps shoot up to 85-90 C. I thought at first, well I am using a mATX case, so cooling could be the issue, so grabbed a closed loop water cooler(Corsair H80i). Now I'm realizing the reason my temperatures are damn high is that none of my case fans, nor the CPU fan(s) are spinning up when they should be! When I first power the system on I can hear the fans cranking at full speed, but after that the system runs incredibly quiet. Even when running iPhoto & importing photos I watch HDMonitor & my temps get to the point where the system reboots itself, due to overheating, without the fans ever cranking up. I've tried setting all fans to "full speed" in my bios, but doesn't actually seem to run them at full speed when in OSX.

From a couple quick searches it sounds like I have a power management problem or FakeSMC, maybe? I built the system using Clover & have Clover configurator installed, but haven't used it yet, & like I mentioned above, a bit leary of messing with options in it until I really know which option(s) I should be playing with.

Any input would be extremely helpful here.

Thanks all!

Ok, more "odd-ness"...

I decided to use VMWare Fusion to install the Corsair utility for the H80i CPU cooler in Windows, to see if I could then manually control the CPU fans. Long story short, yes, I can, but here's the real wacky thing. The H80i is reporting a temperature of 30-32 C, while HWMonitor is showing 85-90 C while running GeekBench in OSX.

I'm starting to think that HWSensors/HWMonitor is reporting incorrectly. Before I got the H80i, I would keep the case open, while running GeekBench to see if I could feel extreme heat coming off the CPU, & never actually could feel anything that would lead me to believe the CPU was overheating.

Does anyone know why/if HWMonitor can be reporting incorrect temps & if so, why/how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back