Contribute
Register

CPU power saving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. At least you know turbo is working. Can't understand why it's not throttling down... Must be motherboard specific...

I guess the sooner I get this Noctua NH-U12P onto my chip the better.
purchased it just after i put my rig together and have been putting off installing it as it involves removing board from tower.

sorry for the late reply.

Musicalchairs said:
What's evo about?

Evoreboot is just an extension used that enables working reboots. with Chameleon RC4 and Asere's boot reboot works so you dont need Evoreboot.

wlp5 said:
Double check in S/L/E too because if you use kext helper to install kexts, I found that it places them there.

i only have AppleHDA and RealtekR1000 in System Extensions and they are working fine and just fakesmc and LegacyHDA as i said.

turbo works on mine if i enable it, goes up to constant 105%. but im not sure exactly how turbo works cause in windows ive seen the multiplier go up to 24x (120%) in CPU-Z when performing single threaded tasks and then back to 9x when idling.

hopefully we can get it working. is downclocking working on your CPU tony?

Here's what iStat says for my i5 750 + SpeedStep with no NullCPUPowerManagement

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-02-12 at 12.19.44 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-02-12 at 12.19.44 AM.png
    30 KB · Views: 127
Here's mine with only some things in the background.Screen shot 2010-02-12 at 9.50.01 π.μ..png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-02-12 at 9.50.01 Ï€.μ..png
    Screen shot 2010-02-12 at 9.50.01 π.μ..png
    30.9 KB · Views: 119
Okay.
It's amazing how much of an obsession fine tuning this OS has become.

Worked all day as you do. Got home and decided to install the following
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=31&lng=en

Had it laying around since I had the PC assembled.
Bought for the place to chuck it on but bought it after they had done most the work.

Wasn't as hard to install as I originally thought.

Instant benefits though. Temp in Win7 idle is now 23 not 36.

Temp in OSX is now 40 not 55. Celcius obviously.

I can't figure out why OSX Is higher but I can live with 40 idle. 55 was rediculous.

Oh and silent as.

UPDATE

Just got home from eating out and run GEEK BENCH x64.
Prior to this cooler being on my score was 7700 now its 8943.

Loving this cooler :)

That doesn't make a lot of sense. Even if your cpu was 100%, even with the stock cooler, it wouldn't overheat enough to slow down. So different geekbench scores cannot be from changing the cooler.

Also, 17 degrees is a huge difference. Even if speedstep is not enabled, if the cpu is idle, the difference would be around 5 degrees, maybe 10, definitely not 17.

Have you considered that the sensor readings in osx are incorrect?

Also, from what I read, close to 9000 is what you should be getting with an i7. So, the previous score was definitely wrong somehow.

could it be possible that because there wasn't enough thermal paste, or the quality of the thermal paste wasn't as good as the stuff that came with the new heatsink & 2fans ?

obviously new to the non default heatsink/cooler thing also

Doubt it because your temp seems high compared to the 23 (really??? that low!) you get in windows.

You can buy good thermal paste for cheap and it will last you many systems, I use arctic silver like most. The key is to apply the right amount, more is not better always. Its purpose is to fill the small imperfections of the surfaces at a molecular level. It is NOT a better heat conductor than the heatsink, so applying a think layer is not the way to go. In some cases, you might not see it and it's there and doing its job perfectly. But, like other people, myself, I always probably put more than is needed. Don't worry too much about it though. Unless the heatsink is not seated properly, the difference would be 2-3 degrees.

My guess is it's something on the software or BIOS side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back