Contribute
Register

CPU power saving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. Well I tested the amount before screwing it into place twice.
Directions said 4-5mm blob. I made closer to 5. It would have squished almost to the edge.
When I took the standard heatsink/fan off the thermalpaste that was there wasn't anywhere near the edge.

Anyhow I see your point. Real Temp in Win7, as I stated before, would hover from 36 to 40.
Now it hovers between 23 and 26.

One thing is certain. Prior to Chameleon showing up the case fans are loud.

As soon as an OS makes it to the desktop they dropway back.

Windows seems idle without much noise at all. Hence the temp readings I'm getting.

OSX doesn't handle my i7 very well at all idle. Like it doesn't allow it to drop a notch.

It ain't a real issue. Just wish I understood the reason behind it all.

Appreciate your replys.

Thanks for your advice.

Do you have an idea as to why iStat wouldn't be reading correctly?

hmm this is turning into a CPU temp with iStat thread, which is fine btw. good to see you like the Noctua Musicalchairs.

but if i can direct all your attention to my first post where i talked about MSR Tools and the attachment i posted showing an i5 downclocked at idle. i may be wrong though and in OS X CPUs are supposed to run at full speed when idle, but this does not happen in Windows as indicated by CPU-Z in my first post. and i cant see if turbo boost increases the CPU clock over 105% for single threaded processes like it does in Windows.

Well from my experience with my rig it's obvious that OSX idles higher than windows that's why I wanted to cool it down. That has worked but I'm still not happy that OSX idles higher than Win7.

Since it's been done correctly on most of the other P55 gigabyte boards, it is highly likely that you'll be able to do it as well. I have no idea how though. Have you tried digging through insanelymac ?

rich said:
hmm this is turning into a CPU temp with iStat thread, which is fine btw. good to see you like the Noctua Musicalchairs.

but if i can direct all your attention to my first post where i talked about MSR Tools and the attachment i posted showing an i5 downclocked at idle. i may be wrong though and in OS X CPUs are supposed to run at full speed when idle, but this does not happen in Windows as indicated by CPU-Z in my first post. and i cant see if turbo boost increases the CPU clock over 105% for single threaded processes like it does in Windows.

Might want to check out this thread- the best Intel SpeedStep resource- install VoodooPState and PStateChanger will show you all the info you need. You'll need to use 32bit mode to check it out though. Good luck! :mrgreen:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=181631

Something wired happen to my cpu temps:

I messed up accidentely delet my dsdt, which resulted unbootable Mac OS. So I did a reinstall of it again, this time I only installed the dsdt from the multibeast and not the speedstep dsdt.

My Cpu temp drop down from 30-35 to 25-30. 99% idle. Does this mean that SpeedStep is supported in the 10.6.2 update???

My Temps right now: 30(1) 24(2) 29(3) 27(4) ISTAT

@tony hmm looks good, but i want to keep my install as vanilla as possible ;) OS X should perform power saving on my CPU as i pretty much have the same specs as an i5 iMac.

@lovemac maybe your new DSDT has speedstep info added in? to check use MSR Tools in 32-bit mode or check if you see a temp increase when benching with Geekbench.

sorry for the late reply i just got my Akasa Vortexx Neo GPU cooler installed in place of my noisy Sapphire cooler and guess what? temps are now down to 33-35C when idle! i think this is cause the Akasa cooler vents out the case. also i may be able to get the tmeps down a little more as i checked i have air pockets in my thermal paste.

also i gave the UD4P DSDT in tony's MultiBeast a shot and it looks like power saving and turbo boost are working as i see fluctuations from 2.66 GHz < clock speed < 3.14 GHz. thanks tony!

rich said:
@tony hmm looks good, but i want to keep my install as vanilla as possible ;) OS X should perform power saving on my CPU as i pretty much have the same specs as an i5 iMac.

Well the stuff that you download and install are only temporary to get the values you need to edit the DSDT. Then you make the changes and go back to the way you were. ;)

Glad you're getting nice power savings though. Let me ask, do you get AppleCPUPowerManagement messages like this during startup? This will tell you weather you're using the native Power Management of OS X.

Mar 10 03:18:21 localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios 1144
Mar 10 03:18:21 localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization

And are you running without NullCPUPowerManagement?

I have the same problem. Can't get Speedstep working. I have everything set up as Tony suggests but its not working. If I have turbo mode enabled in BIOS my CPU runs at 105% as well according to MSR_Tools

thanks.

tonymacx86 said:
Mar 10 03:18:21 localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: Turbo Ratios 1144
Mar 10 03:18:21 localhost kernel[0]: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization

And are you running without NullCPUPowerManagement?

ya i get those messages in startup and no NullCPUPowerManagement in Extra. looks like its all good then!

niclasc said:
I have the same problem. Can't get Speedstep working. I have everything set up as Tony suggests but its not working. If I have turbo mode enabled in BIOS my CPU runs at 105% as well according to MSR_Tools

i have 105% in MSR Tools as well but SpeedSteep is shown as "on". try the DSDT in tony's MultiBeast. i see turbo boost in action, but the clock speed never goes below 2.66 for me. maybe thats just the way OS X is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back