Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I just did a fresh install with a Z87 Gigabyte and 10.11.3. For some reason, when OSX boots the CPU fan speed goes to 1000 RPM.

After messing around with various fan speed controllers, it seems something is setting up the minimum fan speed to 1000 RPM, and I can't go lower than that.

I've tried with different combinations on the mobo (normal, silent, manual, etc) but the result is always the same.

I'm even considering getting an Asus Z97 mobo since they have fan speed curves in their UEFI dashboard, but I'm afraid of spending the money and then finding something else is overriding the mobo fan control...

Can anyone shed some light on what could be going on?

I just did a fresh install with a Z87 Gigabyte and 10.11.3. For some reason, when OSX boots the CPU fan speed goes to 1000 RPM.

After messing around with various fan speed controllers, it seems something is setting up the minimum fan speed to 1000 RPM, and I can't go lower than that.

I've tried with different combinations on the mobo (normal, silent, manual, etc) but the result is always the same.

I'm even considering getting an Asus Z97 mobo since they have fan speed curves in their UEFI dashboard, but I'm afraid of spending the money and then finding something else is overriding the mobo fan control...

Can anyone shed some light on what could be going on?

In my case the mobo uefi fan speed thing just isn't as comprehensive as the asus Windows fan controller app. So I ended up using the fan control function in HWMonitor. It works ok, sometimes it doesn't spin down after CPU loads comes back down but still better than Unnessedarily high fan speed most of time if I do the uefi way.

In my case the mobo uefi fan speed thing just isn't as comprehensive as the asus Windows fan controller app. So I ended up using the fan control function in HWMonitor. It works ok, sometimes it doesn't spin down after CPU loads comes back down but still better than Unnessedarily high fan speed most of time if I do the uefi way.

I tried HWMonitor but the CPU fan doesn't want to go below 1000 rpm :(

So you have an Asus mobo and the curves do not work?

I tried HWMonitor but the CPU fan doesn't want to go below 1000 rpm :(

So you have an Asus mobo and the curves do not work?

the problem is I have no idea if the BIOS's fan control profiles are curved as there's really zero info in the manual how they look like compared to the curves come with their fan app. right off the bat it's at pretty high speed even at minimal CPU load, that's why I just put HWMonitor on it.

So I changed the fan on my CPU cooler for a Noctua NF F12 which is virtually silent on Windows, but still running at max speed on 10.11 around 1000 rpm (according to HW Monitor).

Does anyone have a solution for this?

I'd have no problem buying an ASUS mobo (with fan curves on the BIOS) but it seems OSX is overriding the BIOS/UEFI settings on the Gigabyte mobo and I'm afraid I'd be wasting my money.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Any help is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back