Contribute
Register

Core i3 Build Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought the parts! Got some good deals, bumped the processor up to 3.2 GHz and got a 500 GB drive at the same price. Decided to go for a GTS 450 after all- hoping I won't regret the decision. Very excited to build the machine!

AppleFanatic said:
Bought the parts! Got some good deals, bumped the processor up to 3.2 GHz and got a 500 GB drive at the same price. Decided to go for a GTS 450 after all- hoping I won't regret the decision. Very excited to build the machine!

Good luck! :thumbup:

Thanks- It should be interesting...

Oh, and thanks to everyone who looked over my build for me :)

I'll let you know if it's a success.

Success- and failure. :problem:

My machine runs, but is not very stable- possibly because of the GTS 450? Ethernet and sound works, but graphics are a mixed bag, and my system has frozen/crashed twice.

To begin, I (obviously) put the computer together, which went pretty smoothly considering I've never built a PC before. This was my final build:

-GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Intel Core i3-550 Clarkdale 3.2GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor
-GIGABYTE GV-N450OC-1GI GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5

-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
-Sony Optiarc SATA CD/DVD Burner
-SAMSUNG Spinpoint 320GB 7200 RPM SATA Internal Hard Drive
-Antec Sonata III 500 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply

Fired it up, and optimized the BIOS following Lnx2Mac's guide: http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2010/07/opt ... ation.html

Then installed Snow Leopard (10.6.6) using TonyMac and Lifehacker's guides (At first iBoot wouldn't load for me- The lifehacker guide told me to burn the iso to the disk using finder, which didn't work- I had to use disk utility instead).

Installed the 10.6.5 combo update, then the 10.6.6 update. Ran multibeast, used UserDSDT and the barebones options recommended by tony for my motherboard (GA-H55-USB3): http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7 ... be62047968

Then ran tonymac NVIDIA drivers and rebooted. OSX ran okay, but many system animations were choppy and slow. I installed Lnx2Mac's RTL81xx audio driver, and ran multibeast again, installing NVEnabler to try and improve the performance of the graphics card. I rebooted once again, but am still having issues:

PROBLEMS:
+Already had one random freezup, as well as one gray screen telling me to restart the computer. Both of these happened while listening to music with iTunes and using Safari.

+Sleep works- but when I wake from sleep, my mouse and keyboard don't work-even
though I used them to wake the system. I have to unplug them to get them to register.

+System profiler sees my processor as a 3.84 GHz Intel Core i3- Mine is only 3.2 GHz. It also does not recognize my graphics card, and shows it as having 0mb of Vram.

+System animations are still a little choppy at times. Tried out youtube, which worked fine, however, I haven't tried any graphics intensive games yet.

You guys have been a great help so far- would you have any idea how to fix these issues? I'm getting really anxious at the thought of being stuck with these problems! And I'm afraid to boot the machine up again and have it freeze again on me. :cry:

AppleFanatic said:
Success- and failure. :problem:

My machine runs, but is not very stable- possibly because of the GTS 450? Ethernet and sound works, but graphics are a mixed bag, and my system has frozen/crashed twice.

To begin, I (obviously) put the computer together, which went pretty smoothly considering I've never built a PC before. This was my final build:

-GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Intel Core i3-550 Clarkdale 3.2GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor
-GIGABYTE GV-N450OC-1GI GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5

-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
-Sony Optiarc SATA CD/DVD Burner
-SAMSUNG Spinpoint 320GB 7200 RPM SATA Internal Hard Drive
-Antec Sonata III 500 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply

Fired it up, and optimized the BIOS following Lnx2Mac's guide: http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2010/07/opt ... ation.html

Then installed Snow Leopard (10.6.6) using TonyMac and Lifehacker's guides (At first iBoot wouldn't load for me- The lifehacker guide told me to burn the iso to the disk using finder, which didn't work- I had to use disk utility instead).

Installed the 10.6.5 combo update, then the 10.6.6 update. Ran multibeast, used UserDSDT and the barebones options recommended by tony for my motherboard (GA-H55-USB3): http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7 ... be62047968

Then ran tonymac NVIDIA drivers and rebooted. OSX ran okay, but many system animations were choppy and slow. I installed Lnx2Mac's RTL81xx audio driver, and ran multibeast again, installing NVEnabler to try and improve the performance of the graphics card. I rebooted once again, but am still having issues:

PROBLEMS:
+Already had one random freezup, as well as one gray screen telling me to restart the computer. Both of these happened while listening to music with iTunes and using Safari.

+Sleep works- but when I wake from sleep, my mouse and keyboard don't work-even
though I used them to wake the system. I have to unplug them to get them to register.

+System profiler sees my processor as a 3.84 GHz Intel Core i3- Mine is only 3.2 GHz. It also does not recognize my graphics card, and shows it as having 0mb of Vram.

+System animations are still a little choppy at times. Tried out youtube, which worked fine, however, I haven't tried any graphics intensive games yet.

You guys have been a great help so far- would you have any idea how to fix these issues? I'm getting really anxious at the thought of being stuck with these problems! And I'm afraid to boot the machine up again and have it freeze again on me. :cry:

Have you tried just sticking with 10.6.5.? I know that 10.6.6. broke Fermi for a lot of people.

Really? I'll try- is there any way to downgrade? (Aside from a fresh install)

AppleFanatic said:
Really? I'll try- is there any way to downgrade? (Aside from a fresh install)

Nope. Fresh install.

Okay- I'll do that then, and let you know how it goes. I'm hoping it fixes the sleep issue- I don't like the idea of having to plug my keyboard in again every time I wake from sleep.

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated! :)

AppleFanatic said:
Okay- I'll do that then, and let you know how it goes. I'm hoping it fixes the sleep issue- I don't like the idea of having to plug my keyboard in again every time I wake from sleep.

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated! :)

I doubt it will fix the sleep issue. I've read about that issue before on the forum, so do some searching to see if you can find a solution.

I've reinstalled Snow Leopard to 10.6.5, run multibeast, Nvidia, and Realtek updates, and rebooted, and everything seems pretty stable. Audio and internet work fine. Minecraft runs pretty well, but the computer froze the first time I tried to play WoW (reboot and it worked fine). And you're right, my keyboard will still not work when waking from sleep. I'll do some research and see if I can fix it.

And thanks again for the help! Also, thanks to Tonymac, Macman, and everyone else who makes building a Hackintosh possible for amateurs like me.

Update: Another random freeze-up. I know a lot of people have been reporting this- has any fix been found?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back