Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
First post!

So I've been using on an old hand-me down Powerbook for the last year or two, and finally got tired of how slow it was and decided to upgrade. After considering a Mac Mini, I decided to go hackintosh instead. After way too much time spent on Newegg, this is the build I've decided on:

-Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply
-EVGA 512-P3-N987-TR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB GDDR3
-GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
-Intel Core i3-550 Clarkdale 3.2GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor
-Sony Optiarc SATA CD/DVD Burner
-SAMSUNG Spinpoint 320GB 7200 RPM SATA Internal Hard Drive

Totals around $550 (Canadian).

Are these parts okay? Specifically the motherboard and video card? I'd like as stable a system as possible. Anything to watch out for when building? And is there anything I should do before/during/after installing using the iBoot + MultiBeast method (upgrade the BIOS, specific MultiBeast settings, etc.)? I intend to use the User DSDT for the board, and follow the great new lifehacker guide to install.

I've done a lot of research, but I'm still a huge novice, having never built my own computer. I'd really appreciate any advice I could get on this!

(Big thanks to tonymac for making the hackintosh process a possibility for rookies like me!)

AppleFanatic said:
First post!

So I've been using on an old hand-me down Powerbook for the last year or two, and finally got tired of how slow it was and decided to upgrade. After considering a Mac Mini, I decided to go hackintosh instead. After way too much time spent on Newegg, this is the build I've decided on:

-Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply

Are these parts okay? Specifically the motherboard and video card? I'd like as stable a system as possible. Anything to watch out for when building? And is there anything I should do before/during/after installing using the iBoot + MultiBeast method (upgrade the BIOS, specific MultiBeast settings, etc.)? I intend to use the User DSDT for the board, and follow the great new lifehacker guide to install.

I've done a lot of research, but I'm still a huge novice, having never built my own computer. I'd really appreciate any advice I could get on this!

(Big thanks to tonymac for making the hackintosh process a possibility for rookies like me!)
What RAM do you plan on using? You don't have any listed.

I knew I had forgotten something. 4GB (2 x 2GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 240-Pin DDR3.

What do you think, is my build ok?

AppleFanatic said:
I knew I had forgotten something. 4GB (2 x 2GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 240-Pin DDR3.

What do you think, is my build ok?
Looks good.

AppleFanatic said:
First post!

What do you plan to do on the machine? The parts look good from here, but I might recommend some things depending on what you're doing with the machine.

Also, just realize that some of the conveniences of a "real" Mac will not come standard (i.e. Bluetooth, wireless, etc.). You can fix these things, of course.

And, just because I'm curious, why would you use the lifehacker guide when you have an amazing resource like Tony's blog and forum?

Great, that's a relief, thanks for looking it over for me. :)

I intend to use it regularly to do some web browsing and word processing, as well as some light gaming (WoW, Starcraft). I'd like to look into dual-booting Windows in the future, but it's not important at the moment. I'll be putting the machine near a router, so wireless won't be needed. Bluetooth would be nice, but not necessary.

I'll definitely refer to the forum and blog as well. It's been a great resource, and I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future. If all goes well, I'll order the parts ,and have the machine running by the new year!

Thanks again for the replies, much appreciated.

The very model video card you descrive has problems with HDCP and negotiating handshaking with HDMI. IF you use the VGA-VGA DVI-DVI I heard you will be ok but dont count on any form of HDMI working.

Thank you for the heads up, I had actually intended to use the HDMI.I'll make sure to go DVI instead. I've actually been considering other cards as well- possibly a GT 240 or GTS 4** card. Any suggestions?

gummy123 said:
The very model video card you descrive has problems with HDCP and negotiating handshaking with HDMI. IF you use the VGA-VGA DVI-DVI I heard you will be ok but dont count on any form of HDMI working.

That's pretty much all 9800 GTs, based off the extensive reading I've done.

I'm going to order the parts in the next few days- I might go for a GTS 450, if the price is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back