Contribute
Register

[Completed] G4 Case Hack: Maca-chu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally the display port cable has enabled full resolution.

A screen shot with period correct wallpaper :)

Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 10.08.07 pm.png

Link to glorious vintage Mac backgrounds in 5k: https://512pixels.net/projects/default-mac-wallpapers-in-5k/

Excellent work, I cant wait to get back to the US, and start on my project in the next few months. Can you tell me how much clearance you had for the CPU cooler? I'm trying to figure if the Cooling solution I wanted will fit. Thanks!

I really like the Original look to it. I am thinking of buying an old matching 23" cinema display, gutting it and placing parts from a newer 23" monitor inside just to keep the look. I'm even considering trying to retrofit a hokey puck mouse with new internals.... but not sure it will work... but I think it would be a nice side project just to keep the look as original as possible.

Cooler clearance: I have effectively none! There is about 1mm between the cooler fins and the psu but if required the psu has about 10mm between the case wall and it. Moving it would however require more case chopin and is non-trivial. You have 75mm between board and psu to play with and I think our cooler is on the edge of what is recommended for such high power cpus but I'm keeping an eye on it. Liquid cooling seems like a good solution but that comes with a whole other bunch of problems.

A matching display would really set off your g4! I thought about doing something similar mouse wise but it's time to knuckle down and start making macachu earn it's keep!

Why not just use the puck mouse as is? I'm sure it'll be fine, it was good enough back then.

Actually, there are a bunch of apple 2 era bits at my new office :think:

I'm really jealous now and I want my own hack, I do love them cubes :ch::beachball:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back