Graphics
Asus GTX 980 TI STRIX
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, this is my 1st time when I try to build a hackintosh and if you can help me with some tips I will appreciate this a lot.
So I have this config:
- motherboard: Asus Rampage Extreme V
- video card: Asus GTX 980 TI Strix 6gb
- processor: intel i7 5820K
- memory: 32 gb hyperx fury 2133mhz

The question is: I am able to build a hackintosh with this specs? And how hard it will be? Sorry for my noob questions but this is the 1st time when I try to build something like this. Really appreciate your help guys!

Thanks!

It is possible but it will be hard. X99 is one of the most difficult chipsets to work with. You should look up the other X99 posts in this forum and in the guides subforum. The GTX 980 is not supported either, but that should be fairly easy to work around in comparison.

Yes, this is why i've asked because I saw how hard it is to work with a x99 motherboard...And with the 980 strix there is no chance or any other alternative? Thank you for your answer!

I just added some X99 links to specific posts in the big list of solutions, FYI.

With the 980, you have to boot to the installer and afterward with argument nv_disable=1 to disable graphics acceleration. Once you get into the OS you can install the Nvidia Web drivers and then change nv_disable=1 to nvda_drv=1. Some people have reported more extensive issues with the 980, but hopefully that will be it.

But that's once you make enough progress on the X99 front to get into the OS. :)

I have an AUS Rampage V Extreme | 5930K | 32GB DDR4 | 2x980Ti and tried Hackintosh.

It was absolutely useless, nothing really worked properly and too many kexts / patches required.

With 10.10.3 you can install without patching the Kernel. I have not tried 10.11.x

Things that didn't work under 10.10.3

1) ASMedia USB 3.0 Ports (basically all the USB3 ports at the back)
2) WiFi & Bluetooth (WiFi worked on 2.5G only, Bluetooth detected but my Apple keyboard and Trackpad would not pair)
3) CPU Power Management does not work at all, CPU stuck on 3.4GHz all the time.
4) Sleep (i just disabled it as it crashed the OSX all the time when resuming)

There were probably more issues but I dumped x99 platform only after a few days.

x99 is now a Windows 10 box and my old x79 now used for Hackintosh.

Thank you for being interested into the topic. I really appreciate your answer, and I think I will stay on Windows for the moment...Or can I try to do a hackintosh on my laptop? I think I have better chances right?

Its seems some HP and Lenovo models are very compatible with Hackintosh. So its will depend on your laptop make / model of your laptop. Check the laptop threads for info.

However, I would still give x99 a go on hackintosh and see what works and what dont work then decide if its good enough for daily use. Ideally on a separate hard drive so you mess up your Windows installation

My end game is still dual boot Windows & hackintosh on x99 and have ordered some additional components to counter some if the issues i experienced

Additional Components...
Apple Broadcom BCM4360 (WiFi + BT 4.0) with a PCI-E Adapter (native support no kexts required)
Samsung EVO 850 512GB (OSX install)

When these parts arrive i will give it another go on El Capitan 10.11.3 and reported back.

Its seems some HP and Lenovo models are very compatible with Hackintosh. So its will depend on your laptop make / model of your laptop. Check the laptop threads for info.

However, I would still give x99 a go on hackintosh and see what works and what dont work then decide if its good enough for daily use. Ideally on a separate hard drive so you mess up your Windows installation

My end game is still dual boot Windows & hackintosh on x99 and have ordered some additional components to counter some if the issues i experienced

Additional Components...
Apple Broadcom BCM4360 (WiFi + BT 4.0) with a PCI-E Adapter (native support no kexts required)
Samsung EVO 850 512GB (OSX install)

When these parts arrive i will give it another go on El Capitan 10.11.3 and reported back.

I hope this might help you; http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...ide-asus-rampage-v-extreme-x99-haswell-e.html

Thank you for being interested into the topic. I really appreciate your answer, and I think I will stay on Windows for the moment...Or can I try to do a hackintosh on my laptop? I think I have better chances right?

I hope this might help you; http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-guides/188171-os-x-10-11-el-capitan-setup-guide-asus-rampage-v-extreme-x99-haswell-e.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back