CPU
X3470
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Have long been looking into switching from Clover to OC. I have a stable 10.14.3 on Clover but have always wanted to move to OC. So I thought of making a bootable USB first to try things out but I get stuck with a panic. I have tried following the Lynnfield guide over at official site however I still got stuck with the panic.

version used: OC 0.8.0
specs: GA P55A-UD3R F14b
Intel Xeon X3470 (Lynnfield)
HIS RX 570

Attaching the panic screenshot and may EFI folder.

Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4419.JPG
    IMG_4419.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated
The problem is FakeSMC.kext which you no longer need as its function is now being met with VirtualSMC.kext.

Screenshot 2022-04-26 at 11.02.49.png

As FakeSMC.kext is not included in your /EFI the likelihood is that you have at sometime installed it to /Library/Extensions.
If this is the case you can/should remove it (along with any other Hackintosh kexts.
If not, then it may be cached.

Hi P1LGRIM, thanks for confirming this.

The FakeSMC being detected is probably the one which Clover has. I'm afraid I may not be able to simply create a bootable USB with OC then unless I delete what is currently working with my 10.14.3. I may not be able to get the feel of OC just yet after all, not just yet.

Time to ensure that a working clone backup is up first, I guess.

Last edited:
The problem is FakeSMC.kext which you no longer need as its function is now being met with VirtualSMC.kext.

View attachment 546659

As FakeSMC.kext is not included in your /EFI the likelihood is that you have at sometime installed it to /Library/Extensions.
If this is the case you can/should remove it (along with any other Hackintosh kexts.
If not, then it may be cached.

just out of curiousity, can I safely delete FakeSMC (along with the other kexts) in my /L/E if I already have a copy of it in the EFI folder of my SSD? I guess what I would like to know is if Clover would still be able to load 10.14.3 even after I delete the FakeSMC kext in /L/E.

thank you.

just out of curiousity, can I safely delete FakeSMC (along with the other kexts) in my /L/E if I already have a copy of it in the EFI folder of my SSD?
Yes.

I guess what I would like to know is if Clover would still be able to load 10.14.3 even after I delete the FakeSMC kext in /L/E.
We cannot predict the future but if you include the required kexts in your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder then that should work.

Yes.

We cannot predict the future but if you include the required kexts in your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other folder then that should work.

kind of hesitant to delete FakeSMC inside /L/E because of the the comment here (post #2).

In theory, I should be able to create a bootable OC USB right and the should not load whatever is inside the current kexts of the EFI folder of the working SSD, right?

Any recommendation on how should I go about in case it has been cached?

In theory, I should be able to create a bootable OC USB right and the should not load whatever is inside the current kexts of the EFI folder of the working SSD, right?
Yes, if you boot from the USB.

Boot with -f UseKernelCache=No.

kind of hesitant to delete FakeSMC inside /L/E because of the the comment here (post #2).

that is an old post you referenced (but kudos in searching though! :) )

as long as your important kexts are in your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other, you will be fine

with opencore, you have all your hackintosh kexts in OC/Kexts folder and they are referenced in your config.plist

so in /L/E and /S/L/E should only be kexts provided by Apple

that is an old post you referenced (but kudos in searching though! :) )
Yep, that was yours back in 2019 :)

I may have gotten a little bit further though. I've tried to use the EFI folder found here. We've got almost the same legacy specs: processor, chipset and gpu however I seem to loose USB functionality right after verbose mode starts. I also had to switch to a DP connection as the HDMI one would still need fb patching I guess, with just the black screen (still trying to figure out how for OC). While on DP (less USB loaded - no keyboard and mouse) I was able to boot to the desktop, and by the looks of it brought down the loading time to a third as that of Clover's. (Dang, OC loads up really fast). One more thing I noticed is that with the OC bootloader, my other sata drives showed up automatically on the desktop but with icons that looked as if they were external storage.

attaching the recent EFI folder which I used. His working EFI is from OC 0.6.3 BTW.

Attachments

• EFI OC 0.6.3.zip
    2 MB · Views: 46
Yep, that was yours back in 2019 :)

I may have gotten a little bit further though. I've tried to use the EFI folder found here. We've got almost the same legacy specs: processor, chipset and gpu however I seem to loose USB functionality right after verbose mode starts. I also had to switch to a DP connection as the HDMI one would still need fb patching I guess, with just the black screen (still trying to figure out how for OC). While on DP (less USB loaded - no keyboard and mouse) I was able to boot to the desktop, and by the looks of it brought down the loading time to a third as that of Clover's. (Dang, OC loads up really fast). One more thing I noticed is that with the OC bootloader, my other sata drives showed up automatically on the desktop but with icons that looked as if they were external storage.

attaching the recent EFI folder which I used. His working EFI is from OC 0.6.3 BTW.
what version of macOS?

also you may want to look into:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back