i7-6700k
Graphics
GTX 980
I recently put together the following machine:

- Asus Sabertooth Z87
- Intel Core i7-4770k
- Samsung SSD
- 2x GTX 680

ML installed fine, but I cannot get the system to boot from SSD. I used the GUID partition type, and am limited to Clover. Clover boots, but I'm not able to actually boot any OSes with it. When I try booting my ML partition, the process starts, but I get a kernel panic at IOUSBFamily and AppleUSBXHCI. I'm able to boot from Chimera on USB without a problem. When I try launching Windows with Clover, I just get a blinking cursor. Nothing happens. Again, booting Windows from Chimera on USB works without issues.

Any ideas?

Probably best to just boot from your Unibeast USB until Asus updates bios...

So this is a BIOS issue? Can you give more detail?

Appears to be... I've not experienced your boot issue as I've always use Clover/UEFI boot since I setup my Z87 board. Yet I've read numerous post and engaged in many conversations with peeps having your exact issue, so I have to assume it's a bios problem.

Clover UEFI boot is a good solution. Although it's not Rocket Science, it does require more time, understanding the boot process, and some experience with OS X. Therefore, it's not very easy for relatively new users to setup.

Chimera via Unibeast is really where you want to be for now. I'd continue to boot via USB for now and see if future bios releases fix the problem....

I am a fairly technical user (software engineer by trade, web and native), so if you have any pointers, I'm sure I can follow the instructions.

Any ideas?
After numerous conversations with Asus technical support, the conclusion is Asus 8 series UEFI does not support legacy boot on GPT. They agree 7 Series UEFI supports the feature and have no plans to add the capability to 8 Series UEFI. Asus has purposely decided to force users to go UEFI/GOP with their 8 Series motherboards. On a Z87I-Deluxe, the 8 Series UEFI choices are:
1. Chameleon v2266: USB/MBR/FAT32
2. Chimera v2.2.1: USB/MBR/HFS
3. Clover v2236 (legacy and UEFI): USB/GPT or disk/GPT

Note: CSM must be enabled for legacy.
Edited 10/20/13, Chimera updated, All work with HDMI/DP/DVI

All right, I've just finished building Clover with CloverGrower Pro. I've attached a screenshot of my install options, as well as my config.plist. Here's the relevant output from diskutil list:

/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *64.0 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 63.7 GB disk0s2

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-19 at 12.48.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-10-19 at 12.48.24 PM.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 1,088
  • config.plist
    4 KB · Views: 453
1. Chameleon v2266/Chimera v2.2.1: USB/MBR (HDMI)
2. Clover v2236 (legacy and UEFI): USB/GPT or disk/GPT (DP/HDMI)

Note: CSM must be enabled for legacy.

Are you saying the display connection with Clover must be DisplayPort or HDMI? That DVI will not work? I'm using DVI right now and Clover loads on it, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back