Contribute
Register

Clover error while scanning entries, system halted (FIXED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97X-Gaming 7
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

Its that time again for me where I should have left my working install alone. Instead I updated the Whatevergreen, Lilu and AppleALC kexts via Clover Configurator. Mind you, I have done this before without any issues but this time clover decided to throw an error and render my OS non bootable.

Now the error that happens when Clover v5122 is booted:

TagData: :setDataValue() : data != NULL && dataLen == 0 A fatal error happened. System halted

CB0EB12D-64FA-48D4-B82D-11F2667AB3E6.jpeg

Mind you I did not update clover, only the kexts mentioned above.
Now same as everyone else I have a USB install pen drive for when things go wrong but it doesnt seem to be working anymore either. It’s a Mojave install so I must have forgotten to update it for quite some time now. I get to the Clover boot menu but when trying to boot the Catalina install it halts with these messages:

F35DD49F-AAE0-43B7-B2C4-00D8E0BBB86F.jpeg

So now that I don’t have that option anymore I am a bit lost at how to approach this.
Install Windows on a spare SSD and try Vmware mac install to then fix the Catalina drive?
Get an external case for the Catalina drive and try to fix via a Windows or Linux laptop?
Try to create Catalina or Big Sur USB install from Windows or Linux if thats even possible?
Or would it be possible to fix this via the broken Mojave Install drive which has Clover 2.5k rev 5102 installed?

Any help much appreciated guys, thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Its that time again for me where I should have left my working install alone. Instead I updated the Whatevergreen, Lilu and AppleALC kexts via Clover Configurator. Mind you, I have done this before without any issues but this time clover decided to throw an error and render my OS non bootable.

TagData: :setDataValue() : data != NULL && dataLen == 0 A fatal error happened. System halted

View attachment 530367

Now same as everyone else I have a USB install pen drive for when things go wrong but it doesnt seem to be working anymore either. It’s a Mojave install so I must have forgotten to update it for quite some time now. I get to the Clover boot menu but when trying to boot the Catalina install it halts with these messages:

View attachment 530366

So now that I don’t have that option anymore I am a bit lost at how to approach this.
Install Windows on a spare SSD and try Vmware mac install to then fix the Catalina drive?
Get an external case for the Catalina drive and try to fix via a Windows or Linux laptop?
Try to create Catalina or Big Sur USB install from Windows or Linux if thats even possible?
Or would it be possible to fix this via the broken Mojave Install drive which has Clover 2.5k rev 5102 installed?

create a opencore usb installer in windows

Hi guys,

View attachment 530367

View attachment 530366

If you have the spare drive install Mojave with the USB installer. Then you can edit the catalina clover. When you recover mKe a few backup USB bootable EFI’s

Alright guys thanks for the speedy replies.
I managed to create a Clover (latest version) USB from within Windows. I did not change anything so obviously the config is messed up and it posts a msg about it but still loads Catalina. I have a black screen but I know Im in since I can login and shutdown So now I have to either put whatevergreen and lilu in the kexts folder or use pikera boot argument. Hopefully that gets me into Catalina to fix the issue even though I actually don’t know what to fix in there. Go back to previous whatevergreen and lilu (I don’t know which versions I was using though) or go latest clover with latest kexts.
The reason I havent updated clover is because newer updates broke my install. Maybe the latest whatevergreen and lilu require latest clover hence it got messed up, i don’t know.
I think I def need to look into Opencore as well, thanks for the suggestion!

I managed to create a Clover (latest version) USB from within Windows. I did not change anything so obviously the config is messed up and it posts a msg about it but still loads Catalina. I have a black screen but I know Im in since I can login and shutdown So now I have to either put whatevergreen and lilu in the kexts folder or use pikera boot argument. Hopefully that gets me into Catalina to fix the issue even though I actually don’t know what to fix in there. Go back to previous whatevergreen and lilu (I don’t know which versions I was using though) or go latest clover with latest kexts.
The reason I havent updated clover is because newer updates broke my install. Maybe the latest whatevergreen and lilu require latest clover hence it got messed up, i don’t know.
yes, look into opencore :)

also next time, don't fix something that is not broken :)

Clover boot menu?
You can add pikera in boot arg as well as edit and test graphics settings. Use cursor arrows to navigate to “Options” tab.

I managed to get back into Catalina by copying Whatevergreen and Lilu in kexts to the windows created clover USB drive. Seems to work without pikera.
I know I shouldnt touch a working system but its not that stable when doing graphic work (daz, blender, photoshop) so I always updated Whatevergreen and lilu just in case it would make it more stable but it seems the other way round!
Since those kexts messed up my rig im afraid to update Clover to the latest on my Catalina install even though it works via the usb drive (with a messed up config of course and lack of kexts for network etc)

UPDATE: replace AppleALC, Whatevergreen and Lilu kexts on Catalina onstill with old ones from USB drive Mojave install and clover is working again. Maybe it’s just the AppleALC kext giving me issues, will try now.

Last edited:
I managed to get back into Catalina by copying Whatevergreen and Lilu in kexts to the windows created clover USB drive. Seems to work without pikera.
I know I shouldnt touch a working system but its not that stable when doing graphic work (daz, blender, photoshop) so I always updated Whatevergreen and lilu just in case it would make it more stable but it seems the other way round!
Since those kexts messed up my rig im afraid to update Clover to the latest on my Catalina install even though it works via the usb drive (with a messed up config of course and lack of kexts for network etc)

UPDATE: replace AppleALC, Whatevergreen and Lilu kexts on Catalina onstill with old ones from USB drive Mojave install and clover is working again. Maybe it’s just the AppleALC kext giving me issues, will try now.
you can always test an opencore install on a usb to boot from and then choose to boot macOS

this way you won't break anything on your system

Yup seems to be the latest AppleALC.kext that brakes my install. I think I have gotten into trouble before with this kext.
I will definitely try opencore mate, thanks all for the support!

ok heres another one for you guys.

Adobe Bridge 2019 runs fine but I never could run 2020 nor 2021. Icon bounces a few times in dock then dissapears, no crash report, nothing. Contacted Adobe but they wanted to take control of my rig which obviously is out of the question for security reasons and well, it’s osx86 :/
Now when trying to boot via the usb clover (latest) with the only modification being whatevergreen and lilu to avoid black screen Bridge 2021 runs!
Obviously clover throws an error at boot for lack of config file settings etc and it skips most of it but still Catalina loads and Adobe Bridge works! I have no internet but this can’t be it right? I have a subscription btw and tried just about everything without result. All other Adobe apps work.
So why is it that Bridge now runs with the latest vanilla clover via USB but not with my system specific clover setup on main drive?
The clover vanilla (USB) seems to use imac 14,2 while I use macpro 1,1.
I have no idea what could be causing this but this made me very curious!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back