Contribute
Register

Clover - Dual Boot - Yosemite UEFI - Win7 Legacy - Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
In UEFI under BIOS Features tab do you have CSM set to Disabled, Enabled or Auto?
Should be set to Auto for dual EFI-Legacy booting.

While the MB manual lists CSM Support with the options of Enable/Disable, In the actual BIOS the option for CSM Support is Always/Never. It is currently set to "Always"

Screenshot 2015-09-24 14.20.12.jpg

can you attach your config.plist with your reply?

Here you are: View attachment config.plist

I've never been able to make Boot/Legacy=PBR work with Clover for Windows legacy.

Chameleon can boot Windows legacy via the PBR, so Clover should be able to as well. I was going to look into it... But then I transitioned all my systems to UEFI, so the motivation is gone.

Legacy booting is from the 1980s... time to say goodbye (for me).

I've never been able to make Boot/Legacy=PBR work with Clover for Windows legacy.

Chameleon can boot Windows legacy via the PBR, so Clover should be able to as well. I was going to look into it... But then I transitioned all my systems to UEFI, so the motivation is gone.

Legacy booting is from the 1980s... time to say goodbye (for me).

So is it hit/miss on whether it will work? Going Bald seems to have it working, so in my feeble mind, I would think come one, come all, No?

I want to either, reinstall UEFI and restore/migrate his apps/data/.... Or transition from Legacy to UEFI, but when it comes to Windows, he (son) doesn't trust my 'skill' an doesn't want to 'risk' anything. I cant say I blame him, as I would be learning on the fly...

So is it hit/miss on whether it will work? Going Bald seems to have it working, so in my feeble mind, I would think come one, come all, No?

No idea whether GB is using Boot/Legacy=PBR.

I made it work with Boot/Legacy=LegacyBiosDefault and booting the MBR.

I worked on it for an afternoon trying to figure out what was wrong with PBR boot, but eventually decided to just transition my Windows install to UEFI. I don't regret it. Dealing with MBR/GPT hybrid partitioning was a PITA and UEFI booting is faster (in all phases... BIOS->CLOVER, CLOVER->OSX, CLOVER->Windows).

I want to either, reinstall UEFI and restore/migrate his apps/data/.... Or transition from Legacy to UEFI, but when it comes to Windows, he (son) doesn't trust my 'skill' an doesn't want to 'risk' anything. I cant say I blame him, as I would be learning on the fly...

Practice on a spare HDD:
- remove existing HDD
- install spare HDD
- install OS X, Clover, whatever... to approximate your situation
- install Windows legacy
- attempt to transition the Windows legacy GPT/MBR hybrid to pure UEFI/GPT

Of course, always have a good, complete backup in any case, and make sure you know how to use it. The spare HDD can come in handy for making sure you know how to use your backup as well.

@GB

Were you able to take a look at the config.plist?

Do you have any other suggestions?

@GB

Were you able to take a look at the config.plist?

Do you have any other suggestions?
I went back and examined the structure of the P8Z77-I Deluxe dual boot. While it is dual booting with Clover 2359 easily, Clover is not installed for UEFI booting - it is installed for Legacy boot. I spent some time Sunday afternoon and tried to replicate your problem - succeeded all too well. With Clover installed UEFI boot to OS X drive I could see the Boot from Legacy HD1 and Boot from Legacy HD2 icons, but neither one will boot the system. Selecting HD1, which should boot Windows, results in an underscore in the upper left corner of the display and there it stops. Same thing with HD2. No matter what I did those two icons would not boot the build. It is strange, also, that Clover does not properly name the partitions as it should. When using Chameleon and any of its branches those icons are labeled System Reserved and Win7, not HD1 or HD2.

So I thought to test the latest Clover 3270 installed Legacy mode instead of UEFI mode. And that did not work either - now it just gives me a 3" white square in the center of a black screen with a smaller square centered in it with yellow and black diagonal pattern. Not sure how Clover has changed or maybe it is the way Windows booting has changed, but your options seem to be to convert the Windows drive to UEFI installation and use Clover or use Chimera as your boot loader.

Did any of you install the NTFS.efi driver(s)?

From the Clover Guide: NTFS file system driver. Provides the possibility to load Windows EFI.

I'm not sure if it will help booting the system, but it will properly name the Windows partitions.

I went back and examined the structure of the P8Z77-I Deluxe dual boot. While it is dual booting with Clover 2359 easily, Clover is not installed for UEFI booting - it is installed for Legacy boot. I spent some time Sunday afternoon and tried to replicate your problem - succeeded all too well. With Clover installed UEFI boot to OS X drive I could see the Boot from Legacy HD1 and Boot from Legacy HD2 icons, but neither one will boot the system. Selecting HD1, which should boot Windows, results in an underscore in the upper left corner of the display and there it stops. Same thing with HD2. No matter what I did those two icons would not boot the build. It is strange, also, that Clover does not properly name the partitions as it should. When using Chameleon and any of its branches those icons are labeled System Reserved and Win7, not HD1 or HD2.

So I thought to test the latest Clover 3270 installed Legacy mode instead of UEFI mode. And that did not work either - now it just gives me a 3" white square in the center of a black screen with a smaller square centered in it with yellow and black diagonal pattern. Not sure how Clover has changed or maybe it is the way Windows booting has changed, but your options seem to be to convert the Windows drive to UEFI installation and use Clover or use Chimera as your boot loader.

Thank you for attempting these things. I appreciate the help and the effort. :thumbup:

Did any of you install the NTFS.efi driver(s)?

From the Clover Guide: NTFS file system driver. Provides the possibility to load Windows EFI.

I'm not sure if it will help booting the system, but it will properly name the Windows partitions.

No, I have not tried this. I will give it a shot. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back