Contribute
Register

Clover 5151 - Doesn't create EFI folder in EFI partition??

Motherboard
Dell 7050MT
CPU
I7-7700
Graphics
HD630
I've got an old Mojave installation that I'm trying to upgrade to Big Sur. I did this without issue on another hackintosh recently but something went wrongly on this one.

I'm trying to make a new USB Clover boot disk because I suspect that I need a newer version of Clover.

I can format the USB stick GPT and mount the EFI. When I run the Clover installer it completes without any errors but there is no EFI folder on the EFI partition of the USB. I selected the UEFI option when running the Clover installer. I'm missing something simple here. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

I've got an old Mojave installation that I'm trying to upgrade to Big Sur. I did this without issue on another hackintosh recently but something went wrongly on this one.

I'm trying to make a new USB Clover boot disk because I suspect that I need a newer version of Clover.

I can format the USB stick GPT and mount the EFI. When I run the Clover installer it completes without any errors but there is no EFI folder on the EFI partition of the USB. I selected the UEFI option when running the Clover installer. I'm missing something simple here. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
suggest to use opencore instead

I'm missing something simple here. Any suggestions?
If you install Clover in Legacy mode it writes to the system partition not EFI.

I still have frostbite from an attempt (on a Dell 7050) with opencore. I spent a LOT of time and couldn't get it to work. With this machine (Asus H97M-E), I was hoping to just do a simple upgrade similar to what I did on another machine (Dell 7040). The hardware is getting so old that the effort isn't commensurate with the reward.
Thanks for the suggestion.

If you install Clover in Legacy mode it writes to the system partition not EFI.
I did not use Legacy mode. I specifically checked "Clover for UEFI booting only". Or is Legacy mode something else?

What I did discover is this:
1st attempt to install Clover 5151 was with a 2015 Macbook Pro running Catalina. I tried several times, even with different USB sticks and couldn't figure out how to get it to write to the EFI partition.

2nd attempt to install Clover 5151 was with a 2021 M1 Macbook Pro running Monterey. It installed correctly the first time. And with that stick I can boot to Clover and start the boot of Macos. Of course, it hangs with the Apple logo because it's missing drivers and kexts, so there is more work to do. But I think I advanced past the Clover issue.

This seems pretty weird to me. Any suggestions about what is wrong with Catalina and the Clover installer?

I did not use Legacy mode. I specifically checked "Clover for UEFI booting only". Or is Legacy mode something else?

What I did discover is this:
1st attempt to install Clover 5151 was with a 2015 Macbook Pro running Catalina. I tried several times, even with different USB sticks and couldn't figure out how to get it to write to the EFI partition.

2nd attempt to install Clover 5151 was with a 2021 M1 Macbook Pro running Monterey. It installed correctly the first time. And with that stick I can boot to Clover and start the boot of Macos. Of course, it hangs with the Apple logo because it's missing drivers and kexts, so there is more work to do. But I think I advanced past the Clover issue.

This seems pretty weird to me. Any suggestions about what is wrong with Catalina and the Clover installer?
Getting the same results on Catalina... And sometimes not even getting EFI partition... What is going on here...
Will try other Mac next... Hope like you I'll get some better results...

Back