Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Clean Monterey 12.5 install with OC 0.8.8, z270x UG + i7 7700K + RX 6600 XT - stuck on opencore booter, looking for help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270X UG-OpenCore
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
FIXED! Turns out my previously-disabled CFG Lock was re-enabled because I upgraded BIOS firmware. Also, had set AppleCpuPmCfgLock instead of AppleXcpmCfgLock by mistake, thanks @Hecatomb! Both are disabled now as I've patched CFG Lock manually in BIOS firmware.

------

Hi all,

I'm attempting to make a clean install of Monterey (12.5) on my desktop (z270x ultra gaming / i7 7700K / unformatted WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe 1TB / Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6600 XT). OC 0.8.8 DEBUG, SMBIOS 18.3.

I had a USB set up and (I thought) configured properly, but running into all sorts of issues at boot. I can get to the picker and pick Install Monterey, then a lot of text and a dead end.

Machine used to have Gforce GTX 1070 SC with a 960 EVO M.2 NVMe with Clover and High Sierra, but SSD and GPU have now been replaced with the above. I've followed Dortania OC guide.

I am now wondering if I should keep trying turning things on and off in OC, or maybe try for Big Sur instead. Or maybe another version of Monterey? In the Terminal macOS-installer, my choices for Monterey are 12.6.1 through 12.6.3. I've been Googlin' my little heart out, trying to find a success-story with my motherboard and Monterey, and not having much luck.

I've reset NVRAM. Tried all combinations from Dortania troubleshooting guide (I think).

Any thoughts on where to go from here? Does anyone have experience with what versions of OS and SMBIOS etc. to go with for my particular motherboard and Kaby Lake CPU? Or maybe someone can see what I'm doing wrong from my logs or EFI?

Here's my current EFI and OC DEBUG logs: https://github.com/nightgolfer/opencore_z270x-ug_i7-7700K_rx-6600-xt_wd-black-sn750

Hope someone can help me or point me in the right direction =)

Last edited:
Try. And check your bios settings before:

Disable​

• Fast Boot
  • Secure Boot
  • Serial/COM Port
  • Parallel Port
  • VT-d (can be enabled if you set DisableIoMapper to YES)
  • Compatibility Support Module (CSM) (Must be off in most cases, GPU errors/stalls like gIO are common when this option is enabled)
  • Thunderbolt (For initial install, as Thunderbolt can cause issues if not setup correctly)
  • Intel SGX
  • Intel Platform Trust
  • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection)(This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled)

#Enable​

• VT-x
  • Above 4G Decoding
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: Windows 8.1/10 UEFI Mode (some motherboards may require "Other OS" instead)
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB or higher
  • SATA Mode: AHCI

#

Attachments

• OC0.8.9_z270x-ug_i7-7700K_rx-6600-xt_FIXED.zip
    7.3 MB · Views: 59
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back