Contribute
Register

Clean Install on Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've never updated my bios. been afraid to do it. does that mean i'm f10? i really don't know....

i had to do a few different things, but it seems like i've got mine working. i don't think imessages is working, but i have absolutely no use for that anyway, so who cares?

one thing that's still buggy is that if i try to reset (or shut down? haven't tried that) everything closes down to a black screen with the spinning wheel at the bottom center. i waited a few minutes, but it didn't look like it was ever going to reset on its own. i have to hold down the power button to shut it down and then turn it back on. when it comes back, it says "you shut down your computer because of a problem." i'm trying to run the trim enabler program and it says it has to reboot to make it work. it tries to shut down the computer and i get the black screen. when i shut it down manually and turn it back on, trim enabler didn't finish doing what it needed to do. now i'm worried that any update that requires a reboot won't finish because it can't properly reboot. i can't figure out what's causing this. maybe system definition? i haven't messed with that since i first built the computer over two years ago and i couldn't tell you what system definition i picked, if i picked one at all. this has never been a problem until yosemite.

My final installation for people who are interested.

Further more i selected the correct output device in system preferences > sound > output.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 23.28.36.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-18 at 23.28.36.png
    298.8 KB · Views: 1,504
Try maxmem=8192

Currently its up and running 100%... so far
I have to use this

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1680x1050x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>HDAEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>HDEFLayoutID</key>
<string>01000000</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1 maxmem=8192 npci=0x2000</string>
<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>LoginToLion</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>7</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
I have 16GB Ram and had no problem with Mavericks 10.9.5

but with out the maxmem=8192 hangs....

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    162.8 KB · Views: 284
For those of you who have the GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 MB and perform a clean install, try to copy the entire Extra folder from the Unibeast 5.0.0 stick to the HDD (into the root - assuming there is no Extra folder). Then install Chimera 4.0.0 from Multibeast 7.0.0. Do not select any other system definitions or boot options. I have not even selected AppleRollback mentioned in this post. That resolved all my boot up issues with this MB.

I wouldn't be surprised if it would work by deleting the Extra folder from the HDD (if it exists) and copy the one from the Unibeast stick. I haven't tried that, though.

Please advise if it worked for any of you so that it can help others.

Hope that above helps.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention that my MB has the beta UEFI BIOS.

Further to my comments above, I was not able to get any other system definition running properly with the exception of Mac Pro 3,1 and Mac Mini (currently using 6,2). iMac definitions result in black screen. In any case, copying the Extra folder from the Unibeast stick to the HDD fixed any boot issues for me (most likely given that the default system definition on Unibeast is Mac Pro 3,1).

Running the rig as we speak, extremely stable and fast. As mentioned by others, USB 3.0 doesn't work.

Guys,

USB3 is running just fine on this board. In fact, everything installed without a hitch and is 100% stable. To get usb3 running, go to S/L/E and delete IOUSBFamily.kext and install the version I've attached to this message. Reboot and enjoy. Audio working, usb3 working and everything else is working out of the box. Messages also works fine if you are booting using clover.

The usb3 trick involves replacing the GenericUSBXHCI kext inside the plugins folder of IOUSBFamily with version 705.4.4.

Reboot, shutdown all working as well. I can't find anything that doesn't work to be totally honest.

I should add, I'm also on I1L UEFI if that makes any difference. Been using it since it came out with Mavericks too.

Attachments

• IOUSBFamily.kext.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 405
After I install IOUSBFamily.kext, my machine will no longer boot. In verbose mode it shows that it fails when it tries to load USB. Any idea?

Guys,

USB3 is running just fine on this board. In fact, everything installed without a hitch and is 100% stable. To get usb3 running, go to S/L/E and delete IOUSBFamily.kext and install the version I've attached to this message. Reboot and enjoy. Audio working, usb3 working and everything else is working out of the box. Messages also works fine if you are booting using clover.

The usb3 trick involves replacing the GenericUSBXHCI kext inside the plugins folder of IOUSBFamily with version 705.4.4.

Reboot, shutdown all working as well. I can't find anything that doesn't work to be totally honest.

I should add, I'm also on I1L UEFI if that makes any difference. Been using it since it came out with Mavericks too.

Did you mean version 705.4.14 and not 705.4.4? The reason I am asking is because Yosemite comes with 705.4.14 and the one you have provided is also 705.4.14.

It would be helpful if you could clarify.

EDIT: Never mind. I'm good. I now realized that you were referring specifically to GenericUSBXHCI.kext which, in the kext you have provided, is version 705.4.4. In any case, USB 3.0 on my Z68X-UD3H-B3 is still not working :( Thank you for providing the kext, though.

So I've updated my bios from F10 to UEFI. I've noticed my motherboard bios lights remain permanently on in comparison to F10 where they only remained on for a moment. Is this normal? For the rest of you that have updated, are your lights always on?

So I've updated my bios from F10 to UEFI. I've noticed my motherboard bios lights remain permanently on in comparison to F10 where they only remained on for a moment. Is this normal? For the rest of you that have updated, are your lights always on?

The answer is yes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back