Contribute
Register

Cinebench 11.5 scores

Status
Not open for further replies.
wlp5 said:
Geekbench is not a graphics benchmark.
Yes, but my CPU scores are anomalously low. I'm trying to see if there's a correlation with other people with the same problem.

Turns out my CPU scores were just from funky config in BIOS for my over clocking: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=2617 . So got that squared away. Now it's just the lame ass graphics. Which is most likely that stupid 10.6.4 bug...

Well, did a new installation of iBoot, this time with iBoot supported; couldn't boot straight away from 10.6.3, so had to do the 10.6 install with 10.6.4 ComBo-update.
Benchmarks are still low:
CB OpenGL: 10.95 (-->4C/8T)
CB CPU: 2.03
GB: 3522

Sysinfo in Geekbench is correct! (I7 860, 1 cpu, 4 cores, 8 threads; bus 533Mhz)

What about that 10.6.4 bug, haven't heard of it yet....?!

I think the 10.6.4 bug only affects NVIDIA cards, so that's probably not it. I would look more into the way you enabled the card. Personally I don't use graphicsenabler but use Evoenabler instead.

So here are the specs and the benchmarks for my first build:

Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P
Processor: Intel Core i7-875k (not overclocked)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Silent 1156
RAM: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1600 Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ. I used two kits for a total of 8GB RAM.
Video: EVGA 01G-P3-N981-TR GeForce 9800 GT 1GB
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1501FASS 1.5TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Optical Drives: 2x LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98
Power: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-650HX 650W

Benchmarks:
Cinebench OpenGL: 28.33 fps
Cinebench CPU: 5.54 pts
XBench: 290.04
Geekbench: 9310

Quick summary: I used the iBoot + Multibeast method to install Snow Leopard, and updated to 10.6.4 via the combo updater. I formatted my 1.5TB hard drive in one partition, so I think caused a problem with the MultiBeast installed bootloader (I got the boot0 error. I fixed that by manually installing Chameleon. Initially my Cinebench OpenGL scores were poor, and I fixed my DSDT with the NVIDIA graphics injection.

Everything is working great!

Charon said:
Well, did a new installation of iBoot, this time with iBoot supported; couldn't boot straight away from 10.6.3, so had to do the 10.6 install with 10.6.4 ComBo-update.
Benchmarks are still low:
CB OpenGL: 10.95 (-->4C/8T)
CB CPU: 2.03
GB: 3522

Sysinfo in Geekbench is correct! (I7 860, 1 cpu, 4 cores, 8 threads; bus 533Mhz)

What about that 10.6.4 bug, haven't heard of it yet....?!

Hey Charon. First, check out your CMOS settings, regarding that low CPU score. As mentioned in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=2617, there is some weirdness in the power settings for the CPU. On Gigabyte motherboards, these settings are in a menu called "Advanced CPU Core Features", and this is how they should be set:

Turbo Boost-----Disabled
CPU Cores Enabled-----All
CPU MultiThreading-----Enabled
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)-----Enabled
C3/C6/C7 State Support-----Enabled
CPU Thermal Monitor-----Enabled
CPU EIST Function-----Enabled
Bi-Directional PROCHOT-----Enabled

(You can re-enable Turbo Boost later if you wish, I just know that these settings do work). Those settings will either be in one menu labeled something else, or scattered about in various menus. Regardless, if you have a choice to let the motherboard determine these automatically, be sure it's forced to on (on gigabyte boards, this means "Enabled" instead of "Auto"). Then run Geekbench again, and see if your numbers are sane. If they are, then we can figure out whats going on with your graphics. I'm wondering if it too is some sort of power management feature that I'm not aware of...it would explain why it's happening to both you and your ATI card and my nvidia card.

In other news, my 4GHz OC system is now no longer retarded in the CPU category--Geekbench: 10508, and 5.24 Cinebench CPU. Still getting the hilariously consistent 13.49FPS on the GPU though!

thepoi said:
Hey Charon. First, check out your CMOS settings, regarding that low CPU score. As mentioned in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=2617, there is some weirdness in the power settings for the CPU. On Gigabyte motherboards, these settings are in a menu called "Advanced CPU Core Features", and this is how they should be set:

Turbo Boost-----Disabled
CPU Cores Enabled-----All
CPU MultiThreading-----Enabled
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)-----Enabled
C3/C6/C7 State Support-----Enabled
CPU Thermal Monitor-----Enabled
CPU EIST Function-----Enabled
Bi-Directional PROCHOT-----Enabled

(You can re-enable Turbo Boost later if you wish, I just know that these settings do work). Those settings will either be in one menu labeled something else, or scattered about in various menus. Regardless, if you have a choice to let the motherboard determine these automatically, be sure it's forced to on (on gigabyte boards, this means "Enabled" instead of "Auto"). Then run Geekbench again, and see if your numbers are sane. If they are, then we can figure out whats going on with your graphics. I'm wondering if it too is some sort of power management feature that I'm not aware of...it would explain why it's happening to both you and your ATI card and my nvidia card.

In other news, my 4GHz OC system is now no longer retarded in the CPU category--Geekbench: 10508, and 5.24 Cinebench CPU. Still getting the hilariously consistent 13.49FPS on the GPU though!

Hey thepoi,

You're the man today!
Changed most of the settings you proposed (things are a little different on a P55-GD65@MSI) in BIOS, didn't do anything to graphic settings (so no evoenabler, just graphicenable=yes in *.plist). New scores:

CB OpenGL: 28.33
CB CPU: 4.86
GB (32bits): 8043

Well, that's more on par, I believe!
And it seems the CPU-settings in BIOS are slowing down the GPU!

(for those interested, settings on MSI are available in BIOS/Cell menu)
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hey so I stumble across the nvclock darwin port, and ran it during Cinebench. Sure enough, my GPU clock remained Perf level 0, all the clock at least halved! So it does look like this, too, is a weird power save thing going down. Not sure where it can be fixed though, perhaps theres something that can be changed in my EFI string, or maybe somewhere else.

Someone want to try something for me? Download and load the kext (commands are in the thread) here: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.p ... topic=1246 . A quick "sudo ./nvclock -i" before and during a Cinebench run should spit out some interesting results (I hope!). I'm curious if everyone with normal scores are just running standard clocks all the time, or OS X is successfully controlling power.

Welp. Apparently I was having the problem these guys were having: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... 771&st=880 . I changed my SMBIOS to MacPro3,1 from MacPro4,1, and now...33.23FPS!

Problem verified with nvclock. BIOS settings:
Performance level 0: gpu 300MHz/shader 600MHz/memory 100MHz/1.05V/100%
Performance level 1: gpu 400MHz/shader 800MHz/memory 300MHz/1.05V/100%
Performance level 2: gpu 576MHz/shader 1242MHz/memory 1008MHz/1.05V/100%

MacPro4,1 idle/load:
GPU: 300/300
Shader: 1296/1296
Memory: 1188/1188

MacPro3,1 idle/load:
GPU: 300/576
Shader: 1296/1242
Memory: 1188/1008

The hilarity with the shader and memory clocks notwithstanding...I'm happy! It looks like the low speed settings are hardcoded for GTX285s or something, but on load, it just tells it to go to the max performance levels...which are lower. Eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back