Contribute
Register

Cinebench 11.5 scores

Status
Not open for further replies.
thepoi said:
I'm getting a weird result in Cinebench on GPU. I'm getting 13.5FPS with my stock i5 750 setup, when I was getting 24.5FPS with my 3.2GHz Core 2 Duo setup. Everything else is the same, 10.6.4, GTX295 with EFI string. Any ideas what might be going on?

edit:// and it's not limited to weirdness in Cinebench. I was playing Portal with maxed settings and 2XAA and it was liquid smooth before. Now it's unplayable...

edit2:// Shut off turboboost, and set the bclock to 160, so the processor was locked at 3.2GHz. Result was a little lower at 13FPS. I assume this is because with Turboboost turned on, it was clocking a couple of the cores beyond 3.2G, and giving a slight improvement. So it looks like it's entirely a video card incompatibility.

I think you've hit the known nvidia 10.6.4 problem. Either rollback to 10.6.3 or wait for apple or nvidia to fix it.

wlp5 said:
I think you've hit the known nvidia 10.6.4 problem. Either rollback to 10.6.3 or wait for apple or nvidia to fix it.

I was hoping it was that (then it wasn't my fault :D )--is the bug only on i5 systems? I was under the impression is was just an NV50 general bug, which means the faster framerates I was getting with the C2D wouldn't make any sense. Here's hoping it's just the driver...

thepoi said:
I'm getting a weird result in Cinebench on GPU. I'm getting 13.5FPS with my stock i5 750 setup, when I was getting 24.5FPS with my 3.2GHz Core 2 Duo setup. Everything else is the same, 10.6.4, GTX295 with EFI string. Any ideas what might be going on?

May be we found something here...
I was helping shremi yesterday with his rig, as he was also getting low CB fps...

We went over his BIOS settings, set it as I posted in viewtopic.php?p=13521#p13521 (keep reading, it goes up to ?p=13524), no OCing, and he suddenly got similar results to mine ~27fps, and GB32 of 8700+ too (on an i7-860, though)...

Care to test this ?

Might be somehow related, but surprises me that real macs have this too...

Lnx2Mac said:
thepoi said:

May be we found something here...
I was helping shremi yesterday with his rig, as he was also getting low CB fps...

We went over his BIOS settings, set it as I posted in viewtopic.php?p=13521#p13521 (keep reading, it goes up to ?p=13524), no OCing, and he suddenly got similar results to mine ~27fps, and GB32 of 8700+ too (on an i7-860, though)...

Care to test this ?

Might be somehow related, but surprises me that real macs have this too...

Hell Yeah :headbang: :headbang:

Thanks a lot LNX2MAC

And just to mention the results with tweaking a little bios settings:

Cinebench - went up from 20fps to 27 fps a 35% improvement.

Geekbech - went up form the 8100's to the 8700's

I dont know if this method will work for everyone... with the fps in cinebech

But i recomend a lot to tewak the bios exactly as in this post : viewtopic.php?p=13521#p13521
As it improves also the Geekbench scores and gives a better overall performance.

BTW i am using the UD2.

When I tested before, all my settings were the same (except for the stock 20X multiplier) :( as that. I've tested again with a 170bclock OC, on Win7-64 and OSX:

OS X 10.6.4, 3.2GHz Core 2 Duo, GTX295
CPU: 1.66
GPU: 24.45FPS

OS X 10.6.4, 3.4GHz i5 750, GTX295
CPU: 2.03
GPU: 13.43FPS

Win7 64, 3.4GHz i5 750, GTX295
CPU: 4.57
GPU: 42.02FPS

I've run the GPU test at 3 speeds, 2.66, 3.2, and 3.4GHz, and the FPS is always exactly the same (~13.45). So it does seem like it's purely a graphics issue. The Win7 graphics comparison can't really be made regardless, because Win7 is using both GPUs and osx isn't. But the bizarre CPU score compared to Win7 makes a just-graphics conclusion questionable.

edit:// Are there any utilities like TMonitor for OSX so I can monitor exactly what the cores are doing?

edit2:// Tested with all C-states disabled, exact same result. Doesn't look like it's a C state underclocking issue. It's just...slow. I posted in another thread as well, my Chameleon bootloader is slow, it just counts down at a tenth of the rate it should. I can't help but wonder if all of this is somehow related...

thepoi,
Your cpu benchmarks look really low... Have you checked your BIOS settings as I wrote a couple posts above ?
Lnx2Mac

Should I worry?

Cinebench OSX: 11 on GPU, 3 on CPU
Cinebench Win7: 30 on GPU, 5 on CPU

The OpenGL score under OSX seems very low on my R4870, I'm shure CI/QE is on, so what's wrong? GraphicEnable=on in plist

It's not normal, I'm getting 30 and I have a 4850. You should verify with some other benchmark to see if it's a general performance issue or just cinebench acting up.

Lnx2Mac: Ya, out BIOS settings are the same.
edit2:// Actually they aren't!

charon: you, me, and sephiroth in the gaming forum are having similar absurdly low scores. It's interesting that you have non-gigabyte and ATI card, which is different between seph and me. I have a feeling this is the same underlying problem because of exactly how low the scores are, it's just so extreme.

Everyone: is Cinebench reporting processors/cores properly? OSX CB is saying 2/4 for my i5, but it's reported correctly as 4/4 in Win7. That may not even mean anything, but if everyone getting the right benchmark numbers is seeing 4/4 or 4/8, thats notable...

wlp: what other benchmarks are out there?

edit:// Geekbench 64: 4349 (Number of cores properly reported though)

Heh. Charon, run geekbench in 64, looking back on this thread, seems like it should be around 10k, maybe as low as 8k?

Geekbench is not a graphics benchmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back