Contribute
Register

Choppy animations (High Sierra, 8600K, GTX 1080)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is nothing to do with drivers. This is how the applications are designed. If they are choppy during resizing blame the app developer not Nvidia or Apple. For example open system Calendar and notice how smooth it is during resizing. If you really want to test how fast/smooth your GPU is try some games or 3d benchmarks.

When 10.12.6 has ZERO issues like these, but 10.13.x has MAJOR issues like these, let's not blame Apple or nVidia?

Apple is using Metal 2 everywhere now including WindowServer. This is why everything lags. There's some major major graphical changes done in macOS High Sierra that people don't realize. There's VR support under the hood, a major File system change, etc. It's not some minor update.

I took out the 980Ti and am running on iGPU and EVERYTHING is smooth as heck. It would be smoother with an AMD card, or I will probably go back to Sierra, although I don't want to.

Last edited:
When 10.12.6 has ZERO issues like these, but 10.13.x has MAJOR issues like these, let's not blame Apple or nVidia?...

It's always a risk upgrading to new OS version. You can blame Apple and Nvidia but they are clearly not supporting Maxwell or Pascal GPUs on purpose. Nvidia support for OSX drivers is no existent (check their forums or call/talk to their support) and Apple is using AMD and Intel chips. The last time Nvidia chip was used on Apple hardware was late 2013. Nvidia has no real benefit in releasing drivers for their latest products on OSX. It's your risk choosing another brand.

I took out the 980Ti and am running on iGPU and EVERYTHING is smooth as heck. It would be smoother with an AMD card, or I will probably go back to Sierra, although I don't want to.
Can you make a video like OP made so we can see how smooth wildly resizing the windows is on your iGPU?

Hi,
Trying to get my first build to function the way I like, but for some reason the animations are a bit choppy. As you can see in the video below, they are more or less smooth as long as there aren't any details that needs to get rescaled or what not.

ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty mITX/ac (replaced WiFi/BT with Broadcom BCM94352Z)
Intel i5 8600K
16GB DDR4 RAM
nVidia GTX 1080
a bunch of SSD drives

Any clues?
Really grateful for any advice :)
It looks normal to me.

Can you make a video like OP made so we can see how smooth wildly resizing the windows is on your iGPU?

Nah. I have a working system with AMD don’t really have time to show videos here.

But take my word for it.

This issue is pretty nasty. Some Apple apps like Mail or Calendar works like a charm, but for instance Chrome is choppy AF. Also some animations like bouncing icons on dock are choppy too. So, I probably rollback to Sierra, because this is annoying...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back