Contribute
Register

Choppy animations (High Sierra, 8600K, GTX 1080)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRrock Z370 Fatal1ty mini-itx/ac
CPU
Intel i5 8600K
Graphics
AMD Vega 64 8GB
Hi,
Trying to get my first build to function the way I like, but for some reason the animations are a bit choppy. As you can see in the video below, they are more or less smooth as long as there aren't any details that needs to get rescaled or what not.

ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty mITX/ac (replaced WiFi/BT with Broadcom BCM94352Z)
Intel i5 8600K
16GB DDR4 RAM
nVidia GTX 1080
a bunch of SSD drives

Any clues?
Really grateful for any advice :)

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.6 KB · Views: 241
Really grateful for any advice
BIOS - Disable Integrated Graphics - PEG as Primary
config.plist/Graphics/ig-platform-id=0x59120003 - Remove ig-platform-id
config.plist/Devices/FakeID/IntelGFX=0x12345678 - Change into 0x0

BIOS - Disable Integrated Graphics - PEG as Primary
config.plist/Graphics/ig-platform-id=0x59120003 - Remove ig-platform-id
config.plist/Devices/FakeID/IntelGFX=0x12345678 - Change into 0x0

Thank you so much for your advice, and sorry for my late reply.

I did as instructed, unfortunately without any improvements in performance. :/

Try this edited version of your config.plist and report progress :

Note that you will need to emulate native NVRAM - Problem 6 - Install EmuVariableUefi-64 and RC scripts.
Update web drivers to ensure that you have the correct version.
May need to install Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.5 KB · Views: 242
Try this edited version of your config.plist and report progress :

Note that you will need to emulate native NVRAM - Problem 6 - Install EmuVariableUefi-64 and RC scripts.
Update web drivers to ensure that you have the correct version.
May need to install Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext

Thanks, I'll give it a go first thing in the morning (01.40 AM right now, here in Sweden).
I already have EmuVariableUefi-64.efi, Lilu and nVidiaGraphicsFixup installed (appears to be the latest versions), and I've checked for nVidia updates but there are non. So I'll switch the config-file for the one you so kindly provided, and install the RC scripts.

I'll get back to you.

Last edited:
Hi,
Trying to get my first build to function the way I like, but for some reason the animations are a bit choppy. As you can see in the video below, they are more or less smooth as long as there aren't any details that needs to get rescaled or what not.

ASRock Z370 Fatal1ty mITX/ac (replaced WiFi/BT with Broadcom BCM94352Z)
Intel i5 8600K
16GB DDR4 RAM
nVidia GTX 1080
a bunch of SSD drives

Any clues?
Really grateful for any advice :)

Have you tried proper benchmark like Ungine valley or heaven? Try to observe FPS meter and also compare results with other posted on this forum.

What you are showing depends on browser capabilities. The choppiness will occur if you are doing such resizing. You should ask Google to make YT less choppy. Apple has nothing to do how Youtube or any other webpage is coded.

Have you tried proper benchmark like Ungine valley or heaven? Try to observe FPS meter and also compare results with other posted on this forum.
Not Unigine Valley or Heaven, but I did run Geekbench on the hackintosh as well as on my MBPr 2014. Results below.
b4qrVoU.png

What you are showing depends on browser capabilities. The choppiness will occur if you are doing such resizing. You should ask Google to make YT less choppy. Apple has nothing to do how Youtube or any other webpage is coded.
Just tried it on my MBPr, using the same website and with audio playing, and you're right! The choppiness is there on the MBPr as well. So maybe it's something generic after all, and nothing I can do anything about.

This is 100% an nVidia issue. I believe they didn't even update the latest drivers to reflect the under-the-hood changes in High Sierra with Metal 2.

I believe Apple will fix this issue somehow because the are still Macs out there that they still officially support that have nVidia dGPUs and they need to fix the problem.

If this isn't fixed I'm moving to Vega 64 (although I really need a CUDA GPU). I might just go dual GPU route, nVidia + Vega 64 (if possible).

Everytime I use Adobe apps/Chrome etc that use the GPU, things really slow down.

This is 100% an nVidia issue. I believe they didn't even update the latest drivers to reflect the under-the-hood changes in High Sierra with Metal 2.
This is nothing to do with drivers. This is how the applications are designed. If they are choppy during resizing blame the app developer not Nvidia or Apple. For example open system Calendar and notice how smooth it is during resizing. If you really want to test how fast/smooth your GPU is try some games or 3d benchmarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back