CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Ok so I decided to build myself a hachintosh. I have already put a pre-ordered on new Intel Core i7-3770K, Kingston HyperX limited edition RAM and several more components.
Now I come to a dilemma when choosing a motherboard.

I have set on two models, (side note this is gonna be more of a test build latter on I'll be upgrading but this is for now) :
MSI Z77A-G43 and
GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H .
Thanks in advance.

Why can't you understand that these motherboards haven't got any user experience...
I don't recommend either of them. Wait for the new Apple machines with the support for Ivy Bridge CPUs and for tony with the new CustoMac Builds.

I agree with Mate

I would suggest one of the Gigabyte z68 boards. I have the GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, but there are many other choices as well.

If you'd rather go for a Z77 board go for it, just saying there's not much support at this current time.

Well I'm more then willing to experiment, have some money and time on my hands so why not.
And I was waiting for Ivy Bridge, and by the time i7-3770K arrives to the market Apple might put out new iMac's and Macbooks and if i7-3770K does not work I'll use one of SB i5's or i7's that I have laying around.
Z77 is definitely what I'm gonna use.
O and by the way I'm engineer, and kinda experience hacker so not a noob.

that gigabyte board has via audio and atheros lan. you dont want it.

the msi has realtek lan/realtek audio, so its fine.

the msi will work fine. essentially its no different to past 1155 msi boards
wfj has been testing out a z77 msi board, and he has found it works fine (still ironing out a couple wrinkles with it)
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=58163

however, be aware that that while all mobo makers are now using uefi, all brands except gigabyte need to use either speedstepper OR a modified bios for native power management.
this thread describes it
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=54196

Not really caring about power management.
My computer is constantly on during the day and shut down during night so sleep/hibernate or and power mode is not anything that concerns me.

its not hard to achieve it, but the fact that you have to use a modded bios or patch a kext is enough to put some people off.
guess youre not one of those people ;)

darkodelta said:
Well I'm more then willing to experiment, have some money and time on my hands so why not.
And I was waiting for Ivy Bridge, and by the time i7-3770K arrives to the market Apple might put out new iMac's and Macbooks and if i7-3770K does not work I'll use one of SB i5's or i7's that I have laying around.
O and by the way I'm engineer, and kinda experience hacker so not a noob.

Sounds like you're a good candidate to proceed. It was quite simple to get basic functionality on my MSI board with a sandy bridge cpu. The only thing I haven't tackled is sound but that should be easier with the G43 board since it has 892 audio. PM me if you need any help.

darkodelta said:
Just my interest: why do you want to have definitely Z77? Is there any special technology that you want a Z77?

My UD3H-B3 has fully ivy bridge support and pcie 3.0 too.

Just want to know why everyone is going crazy with Ivy Bridge and Z77.

Coupz said:
darkodelta said:
Just my interest: why do you want to have definitely Z77? Is there any special technology that you want a Z77?

My UD3H-B3 has fully ivy bridge support and pcie 3.0 too.

Just want to know why everyone is going crazy with Ivy Bridge and Z77.

Basically, Z68 is a year old now and why not get the latest tech. Also, I think many of us just like to experiment and try to figure things out. Somebody has to try these things out...otherwise, how will any progress be made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back