Contribute
Register

Celeron processors for a CustoMac Mavericks build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z77
CPU
i5-3570k
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
One straight-up question: are there any Celeron processors compatible with Mavericks for a CustoMac build? Thanks for checking this out.

For Mavericks, I don't think so. But Mountain Lion 10.8.5 is possible with a pentium/celeron based on haswell as far as I can remember (like the g3220 + a compatible gpu needs to be bought).

For Mavericks, I don't think so. But Mountain Lion 10.8.5 is possible with a pentium/celeron based on haswell as far as I can remember (like the g3220 + a compatible gpu needs to be bought).

Thanks for the response! ML is probably good enough for me. Is there a list of processors compatible with ML?

Thanks for the response! ML is probably good enough for me. Is there a list of processors compatible with ML?
Most Celeron and Pentium CPUs have incompatible gfx or no gfx onboard, so a separate gfx card is needed.
cost of CPU + cost of gfx card often exceeds cost of Core i3 with compatible gfx, so why not go for the i3?

That said, try forum search with key word success + celeron or success + pentium and see what others have used for successful builds. There are quite a few out there. Also suggest you look at http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/118150-building-budget-haswell-build-how-low-can-you-go.html for low budget builds.

Most Celeron and Pentium CPUs have incompatible gfx or no gfx onboard, so a separate gfx card is needed.
cost of CPU + cost of gfx card often exceeds cost of Core i3 with compatible gfx, so why not go for the i3?

That said, try forum search with key word success + celeron or success + pentium and see what others have used for successful builds. There are quite a few out there. Also suggest you look at http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-advice/118150-building-budget-haswell-build-how-low-can-you-go.html for low budget builds.

I am quite interested in the i3-4130, however that isn't listed in the guides listed monthly. Is the 4130 compatible?

I am quite interested in the i3-4130, however that isn't listed in the guides listed monthly. Is the 4130 compatible?
gfx is 4400 - try the 4330, it has compatible 4600 gfx and is not that much more $$.

gfx is 4400 - try the 4330, it has compatible 4600 gfx and is not that much more $$.

Alright, so if I want an external graphics card, and not use the internal graphics, can I still use the 4130? Also, what is the cheapest NVIDIA graphics card that I can get that is fully compatible with OS X Mountain Lion?

Alright, so if I want an external graphics card, and not use the internal graphics, can I still use the 4130? Also, what is the cheapest NVIDIA graphics card that I can get that is fully compatible with OS X Mountain Lion?

So spend $20 less on the CPU and $90-$100 for a GT640

Cheaper cards are available, but the gfx is lower ranked than the 4600 CPU gfx in Tom's Hardware gfx card ranking.

So spend $20 less on the CPU and $90-$100 for a GT640

Cheaper cards are available, but the gfx is lower ranked than the 4600 CPU gfx in Tom's Hardware gfx card ranking.

Thanks, Going Bald. Are there many issues if you choose to go the external GPU route such as the need to install drivers/extra software/more steps? If so, what are the extra steps required?

Thanks, Going Bald. Are there many issues if you choose to go the external GPU route such as the need to install drivers/extra software/more steps? If so, what are the extra steps required?

I just built a cheap little hack for a friend. Used a g1610 and gt 620 from amazon. Roughly 75$ for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back