Contribute
Register

CBorg's "IvyBrick" Build: Intel i7-3770 - ASRock H77M-ITX - Mountain Lion 10.8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Carmico,

Originally, I installed Lion and checked the CPU status with HW Monitor. I found that CPU ran
at x16 only and I supposed that speedstep did not work. So, I replaced the bios with Samisnake's
one and tried again. But I still got the same result. Finally, I installed Mountain Lion right away.
It was still the same. So, I read many posts from this forum and I understand finally that CPU
will stay at x16 when it is in idle. I open Terminal and typed "YES" to test. Then I got CPU running
at x31 and found that speedstep works. Basically, I don't know if Samisnake's bios makes it work
or not.

Cheers!

Looking to the Samisnake's bios thread seems that bios has to beed modified to get SpeedStep working.

btw, Cborg uses Samisnake bios, (v1.10 modified)

CBorg,

you did a great job!! I like your build a lot, and thus, I am currently working on a similar build. Since I never built a Hackintosh before, this is gonna be fun :) For me, it is also very important that the machine is quiet.

However, I have some further requirements:
  1. WIFI
  2. Bluetooth
  3. Have an additional HDD (1 or 2TB)
  4. Add a slim-line DVD/CD drive
  5. Option to later add a GPU (mid-range, not high-end)

So, I would stick with your recommendation regarding
  • case (including power supply)
  • RAM
  • CPU (though I will probably go for the cheaper Core 3570k)
  • CPU cooler and fan
  • SSD

In order to add WIFI, I will wait for the GA-H77N-WIFI (http://www.tonymacx86.com/199-gigab...x-boards-finally-official-available-soon.html) as the Zotac board is too expensive in my eyes, and then exchange the WIFI card against the Atheros AR9280, as it seems to be supported best.

For bluetooth support, the Targus Bluetooth USB Adapter(ACB10US) makes sense.

From the specs of the SST-SG06S case, it looks like I can install a 2.5" drive (SSD) and a 3.5" drive (HDD) at the same time. Could you please confirm this?

Moreover, I guess the 300W power supply should be enough, even if I add a mid-range GPU later.

So, do you see any problems with this? Does it all fit in the case? Thanks a lot in advance!

From the specs of the SST-SG06S case, it looks like I can install a 2.5" drive (SSD) and a 3.5" drive (HDD) at the same time. Could you please confirm this?
That's correct. I just removed the HDD holder, because I don't need it and because it is partly occluding the case fan.

Moreover, I guess the 300W power supply should be enough, even if I add a mid-range GPU later.
I guess so, too. But better check if the 5V and 3.3V rails deliver enough current for the graphics card.

So, do you see any problems with this? Does it all fit in the case?
Should be fine. Enjoy your build!

how to get update 10.8.2 working ?

i try the first time without changes to this settings... but doesn't work, stuck on boot at grey Apple logo...

how to get update 10.8.2 working ?

i try the first time without changes to this settings... but doesn't work, stuck on boot at grey Apple logo...

Successfully updated to 10.8.2. If you boot with the "-x" option of Chimera, you'll see that you ran into the OEMsmbios problem described in the "10.8.2 Troubleshooting" section of Tony's OS X 10.8.2 Update article. Just follow the steps given in the fine article.

Thanks a lot!!

Successfully updated to 10.8.2. If you boot with the "-x" option of Chimera, you'll see that you ran into the OEMsmbios problem described in the "10.8.2 Troubleshooting" section of Tony's OS X 10.8.2 Update article. Just follow the steps given in the fine article.

Thanks! Updated! :thumbup:

Hey CBorg,

I got another question: Do you know whether this case allows me to also add an sd card reader? Are there recommended readers?

Thanks,
MasTaT

I got another question: Do you know whether this case allows me to also add an sd card reader? Are there recommended readers?
Don't know. I'm using a USB multi-card reader from hama and never missed a build-in solution.

Okay, maybe I will decide on the card reader whenever I have the case to see how it might fit.

Currently, I am thinking back and forth between the HD 4000 (3570K processor) and a dedicated Radeon HD 7750. In favor of the dedicated GPU, I could buy a somewhat cheaper Core i5 with HD2500 (the prises of the Ivy bridge processors are ridiculous compared to the AMD ones; too sad that AMD cannot offer anything comparable - with this Intel prizes would drop to a normal level), so the overall prize does not increase a lot. The 7750 is a big speed-up compared to the HD4000, and even with a slower CPU, the overall performance (e.g. Photoshop, "simple" games, video encoding) would probably be better.

In the current c't magazine, cheap GPUs were tested. I am especially looking at the HIS Radeon 7750 iSilence5 (100EU, passive cooling, but needs two slots) and the Club 3D Radeon HD (80EU, active cooling but pretty quiet). Both only consume little power (~7W to max. ~40W), so should not be a big deal for the PSU. Is there enough room for a card that needs two slots? Otherwise I have to go with the actively cooled one...or stay with the integrated GPU :)

What was the reason for you to buy the pretty fast CPU but no dedicated GPU? Prise-wise it is the same...just little more cooling necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back