Contribute
Register

Catalina on Nuc5i7 with (literal) missing HDMI port, possible to force DP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Intel Nuc5i7
CPU
i7-5557U
Graphics
Intel Iris 6100
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
Hi,

A while back the mini hdmi port on my nuc snapped off, and since then I have been using the mini display port instead (under linux). Recently I thought I'd put OSX back on the Nuc (having previously had Big Sur on there...back when it had a mini hdmi port).

I have installed Catalina and it works fine with opencore (from USB boot) or Clover (direct from the hdd). However unless use the boot arg -igfxvesa I cannot see the displa; instead the boot loading bar stops just over half way (but the OS is loaded as I can hear the "bong" noises when I incorrectly enter my password). In this state I enabled voice description and tried to navigate that way but the display port does not appear as an option. I've enabled VNC and logged in remotely to see if there was some way in the OS to force it to use the DP out but I've had no luck.

In short is there a way to force the use of the display port instead of the hdmi as the primary display?

I've attached my config.plist and a picture which may show my problem.

Edit: I have also tried changing the system definition as detailed herehttps://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/mojave-to-catalina-displayport-not-working.284983/ but the issue persists.

Attachments

• config.plist
    17.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
The name you have used in your config.plist for the Broadwell Framebuffer is wrong. You are using ig-platform-id, which was fine when using Clover. OpenCore requires the name to be set as AAPL,ig-platform-id for it to work. With the current name/key in use it probably isn't using the framebuffer.

Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 19.59.08.png
Wrong framebuffer name/Key

Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 20.01.58.png
correct framebuffer name/key

Changing the framebuffer name/key may correct any issues you have using the display.

If the above fix doesn't work, try changing the Broadwell IGPU framebuffer from <02001616> to <06002616>.

I know the first is recommended for Broadwell NUC's but if that framebuffer isn't working with your setup, trying one of the other recommended framebuffers might help.

Revised config.plist attached below contains the correct name/key for the framebuffer. I have also removed a number of unnecessary entries from the config so it is easier to navigate and read.

You might want to think about updating your OC setup to a more recent version.

Do not mess around booting your system with Clover, delete all mentions of Clover from your system and just use OpenCore. This includes deleting the Clover EFI from your macOS drive's EFI partition and replacing it with the OpenCore EFI folder, so you can boot directly from the macOS drive and not have to use the USB pen drive.

Attachments

• config.plist.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 25
Post a copy of your current OpenCore EFI. The whole folder, so we can see exactly what you are using.

Can you extract/dump a copy of your DSDT.aml at the same time.

Redact/delete the serial number as before.

As an example of a fully working Broadwell (laptop) OC EFI I would point you the screenshot below. There are two entries in the OC folder below that you wouldn't require, as your Broadwell system is a NUC, i.e. SSDT-PLNF.aml and VoodooPS2Controller.kext.

Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 21.40.48.png

The AirportBrcmFixup.kext (Broadcom WiFi), RealtekRTL8111.kext (Ethernet) and Sinetek-rtsx.kext (built-in Realtek card reader) are all kexts required for the devices in my Broadwell laptop. This is a relatively recent OC EFI based on OC 0.8.9, so ignore the dates against the texts etc. as they are all the latest versions.

It will be interesting to see how your setup compares, as your NUC requires you to follow the Laptop OC guide, with very minor changes in the setup.

What might also be helpful is a copy of your NUC's IOReg. As it might show some additional information regarding the IGPU.

No worries, and thanks for your assistance. It is now working, turns out all I needed to do was remove everything from the PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) except the AAPL,ig-platform-id value for which I used the recommended 02001616.

Ok, good to know as it might help others in a similar situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back