Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3
CPU
i5-4670
Graphics
HD 4600
Hello!

I recently updated a hack from sierra to Catalina which all went great but caused my hack to reboot on startup when having dual monitor setup on the integrated intel graphics HD4600 via DP and DVI (something with lockedstate). I have tried various things but ended up buying a Quadro K2000 hoping it would solve the problem.

The DVI on the K2000 is working perfectly fine but i am not getting any DP output. I cant even get to the BIOS with the DP output, its just a black screen of nothing. Both of the DP outputs on the K2000 by the way give no output. The cable and screen are working fine because it works with the integrated intel motherboard DP output.

Currently i am running the K2000 DVI output and also the integrated graphics DP output, which to me is also weird, never seen that before.
The Hack seems to also be slower than before for some reason.

Specs:
CPU: Intel i3 4330
Motherboard: H81M HD3
Graphics card: Quadro K2000/Intel HD4600
RAM: Hyperx 8gb 1600mhz
SSD/HDD
PSU: 450 Watt

Attached the EFI that i am currently using.

Would greatly appreciate some help!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    22.6 MB · Views: 36
Try booting with this revised Clover r5119 EFI, which is set for a Haswell system running macOS Catalina.

I have made a number of changes to this EFI, based on the Haswell systems I run. Including one very similar to your Z87-HD3/i5-4670/Quadro K2000 system.

I would recommend trying this out on a spare USB pen drive, to see if it works and improves the graphics setup.

FYI, the IGPU and dGPU were both enabled in your system, that is why you could use both to drive a display.

This EFI sets the IGPU to run with an Empty/Headless framebuffer, so only the discrete GPU will drive a display. This is how Apple set their dual GPU systems. This change may fix the issues you were having with the DisplayPort connectors on the Quadro K2000.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 57
Try booting with this revised Clover r5119 EFI, which is set for a Haswell system running macOS Catalina.

I have made a number of changes to this EFI, based on the Haswell systems I run. Including one very similar to your Z87-HD3/i5-4670/Quadro K2000 system.

I would recommend trying this out on a spare USB pen drive, to see if it works and improves the graphics setup.

FYI, the IGPU and dGPU were both enabled in your system, that is why you could use both to drive a display.

This EFI sets the IGPU to run with an Empty/Headless framebuffer, so only the discrete GPU will drive a display. This is how Apple set their dual GPU systems. This change may fix the issues you were having with the DisplayPort connectors on the Quadro K2000.
First of all thank you so much for helping.

I installed the EFI, turned of the integrated graphics in the BIOS, selected the PCI-e slot as startup, and on the first boot was greeted by a by a kernel panic, something In Memory Panic stackshot succeeded. I disabled the Serial IO Port A (thought i already turned it of) and after that it booted good, but still no DP output, only DVI.

Also my profile hack is a different one than the one im working on now.

CPU: Intel i3 4330
Motherboard: H81M HD3
Graphics card: Quadro K2000/Intel HD4600
RAM: Hyperx 8gb 1600mhz
SSD/HDD
PSU: 450 Watt

Any other ideas? Could it be that the DP ports on the GPU dont work?

Why did you disable the IGPU, the i3-4330 has a HD4600, which is supported in macOS up to Big Sur, same as the Quadro K2000. The EFI I provided above contains an empty/headless framebuffer to have the IGPU work along side the Quadro. So it is best to have the IGPU enabled, but the system set to boot with the Quadro as the default graphics device.

The DP not working could be an issue with the DP cable or the DisplayPort connectors (on the Quadro or your display).

I assume you are not using an adapter or adapter cable, i.e. DP to HDMI/DVI/VGA.

There are not a lot of differences between the H81M-HD3 and the Z87-HD3 motherboards.
They use the same Audio Codec and Ethernet controller. Slightly different USB & SATA controllers but neither of these devices are going to interfere with the GPU working.

Same can be said for the i3-4330 and the i5-4670 CPU's, both use the HD4600 IGPU so they need to be setup exactly the same to run macOS. So any differences such as the number of Cores/threads is not going to make any difference in the way your Clover EFI is configured.

The DP issue will not be related to the IGPU, if it is using the Empty/Headless framebuffer I provided in the config.plist.

As this is an upgrade from High Sierra to Catalina macOS you are working on, can you confirm if either the /Library/Extensions (/L/E) or /System/Library/Extensions (/S/L/E) folders contain any third-party kexts, i.e. older versions of Lilu.kext, AppleALC.kext, FakeSMC.kext, WhateverGreen.kext etc?

With your EFI, BIOS igpu enabled and startup set to pci-e (Quadro) i get the following panic.

I am using a DP to DP cable btw.

There is no Lilu, applealc, fakesmc or whatever green kexts at all in those folders. There is however allot of kexts in there seemingly out of the year 2020.

I did a fresh install of Catalina btw.

Attachments

• IMG_20230307_120106600.jpg
    IMG_20230307_120106600.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 23
Have a look at this OpenCore 0.8.6 EFI I put together for a similar Haswell system running Monterey. I have edited it to work with Catalina and your motherboard.

When you get to the OC Boot screen, press the Spacebar. This will unhide a number of tools/drivers. Select the ResetNvramEntry.efi. Before you try booting macOS. This will clear any Nvram entries used by Clover and allow the system to work with the new entries in the OC setup.

See if this OC folder works better than the Clover EFI.

Attachments

• Z87MX EFI 0.8.6.zip
    6.5 MB · Views: 27
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back