Gigabyte Z390 Designare - Clover
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
Hello. Looking for some help here.

I've just updated to Catalina (using USB bootloader method), plus updated my old GPU to a Sapphire RX 5700xt Nitro+.
I thought the improvement was going to be obvious, but instead Catalina is performing terribly much more slower than Mojave even with my old GTX 650. What have I done wrong??

When going to About This Mac, GPU is properly detected, but not CPU where it detects an i7 when mine is a i5.
All my computer details have been recently updated here on my profile.

I followed the post of problem reporting with gen_debug tool, and here are all my files.

Hope you can help! Thanks!

Captura de pantalla 2019-12-06 a las 12.24.50.png

Attachments

• AYK problem report.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 59
What is " performing terribly much more slower"?
Could you post some real scores (for example with geekbenck 5.0.4) instead of your subjective feelings.

Alright... I wasn't sure how to give some scores.
I downloaded the Geekbench version you told me, and these are the scores for CPU, GPU OpenCL and GPU Metal.

Please let me know if there is anything else needed to investigate the case.
Thanks!

Attachments

• CPU Geekbench 2019-12-06.pdf
    295.5 KB · Views: 66
  • GPU Metal Geekbench 2019-12-06.pdf
    158.1 KB · Views: 71
  • GPU OpenCL Geekbench 2019-12-06.pdf
    182.2 KB · Views: 57
Alright... I wasn't sure how to give some scores.
I downloaded the Geekbench version you told me, and these are the scores for CPU, GPU OpenCL and GPU Metal.

Please let me know if there is anything else needed to investigate the case.
Thanks!

I found a couple of things that may be slowing you down. This isn't a Z390 system, correct? And you probably don't have XMP DDR memory support on the mobo. Also, you have iMac 19.1 definition which is closer to a modern CPU. Have you tried iMac 14.2?

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 7.49.19 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-12-06 at 7.49.45 AM.png

Great Gigamax!

I've made the changes you spotted out with very good results. Not sure what it exactly was, if the Smbios, the XMP or the Z390 correction, which by the way was already disabled. Anyway, after changing these 3 items the speed of the system and the scores have increased exponentially. I mean... CPU went from 180 to 843, and GPU OpenCL from 33K to 44K.
You can see it on the Geekbench scores attached.

Also, I re-attached the new report documents in case there is something else to spot with your expert eyes.
Thanks!

Attachments

• CPU Geekbench 2019-012-06 2.pdf
    296.6 KB · Views: 48
  • GPU Metal Geekbench 2019-012-06 2.pdf
    159 KB · Views: 51
  • debug_8833.zip
    3 MB · Views: 47
  • GPU OpenCL Geekbench 2019-012-06 2.pdf
    183.4 KB · Views: 73
Nanukbcn, can you show your scores after sleep/wake up? No reboot! Just Geekbench after sleep.

Could you share your EFI folder? Thank you.

Nanukbcn, can you show your scores after sleep/wake up? No reboot! Just Geekbench after sleep.
Could you share your EFI folder? Thank you.

You are right, irz. My scores after wake up drop drastically from CPU 843 to 562.
Initially, I realized my Catalina wasn't waking up, so I followed a post that suggested to disable the ports in BIOS. So I did and wake works not, however now it awakes to a very slow system.

Have you found any solution?

I am still experimenting problems with software that doesn't want to install, error at opening some software, slow downloads, very slow performance of Clover to find EFI partitions (keep loading for around 3 minutes).

Attachments

• CPU Geekbench after wake.pdf
    296.1 KB · Views: 41
  • EFI.zip
    21 MB · Views: 53
Ohhhh...

Big thanks for your reply!

I post my problem here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...er-monitor-sleep-very-strange-problem.288194/

So, I try to resolve this problem for 3 weeks... and can't find any real solutions at this moment. I try to change everything. At this moment I busy by the work, but come to research this problem on the next few days.

Anyway, I read a lot of forums like macrumors & appleinsider and find that a lot of people have problems with eGPU on the real Macs with RX 5700 series. They are have scores about 30000-32000 in Metal test with the Geekbench v5 from the box.

Basically, we have some advantages on our Hack's over real Macs. We get the native Catalina eGPU performance after sleep/wakeup. But the real performance somewhere before sleep mode.
I really hope that is problem on the Apple side and should be change in next updates. But we have another thread on this forum, where somebody show dramastical bad performance in 10.15.2 beta 4. And this is not good jingle bell.

Ohhhh...

Big thanks for your reply!

I post my problem here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...er-monitor-sleep-very-strange-problem.288194/

So, I try to resolve this problem for 3 weeks... and can't find any real solutions at this moment. I try to change everything. At this moment I busy by the work, but come to research this problem on the next few days.

Anyway, I read a lot of forums like macrumors & appleinsider and find that a lot of people have problems with eGPU on the real Macs with RX 5700 series. They are have scores about 30000-32000 in Metal test with the Geekbench v5 from the box.

Basically, we have some advantages on our Hack's over real Macs. We get the native Catalina eGPU performance after sleep/wakeup. But the real performance somewhere before sleep mode.
I really hope that is problem on the Apple side and should be change in next updates. But we have another thread on this forum, where somebody show dramastical bad performance in 10.15.2 beta 4. And this is not good jingle bell.

Not to worry too much about the 15.2 beta 4.

Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 12.12.51 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-12-08 at 12.16.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-12-08 at 12.21.31 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back