3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Performa
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I built my first hackintosh back during the transition to Intel with the developer image. I've been mostly out of the loop for about 8-10 years. I've tried every once in a while, but usually ran into some hardware issues. I decided to get back in the fray and picked up an ASUS ImagineBook MJ401TA to see if I could make a daily driver Macbook for light duties. It has an m3-8100Y with Intel UHD Graphics 615, very similar to the 12 inch Macbooks. I've been having a hard time figuring out how to install Catalina on it.

The first problem I ran into was that I could not even boot Clover. I made a USB with the latest Unibeast and it has Clover v5107. This would get stuck at "scan entries". I followed the log file, the last line had something to do with NVRAM. So, I delved into the contents of Multibeast, and manually ran the Clover 5107 with emulated NVRAM installer and installed it to the USB. Now I can get into Clover.

However, when I select Catalina, it bombs out at "still waiting for root device". I can boot a Mojave USB with it, which doesn't boot on its own on this machine because it has the same "scan entries" issue with its clover. I've tried selecting USB Ownership and USB Injection, use SystemIO, and various other things without success. I've tried putting the USBInjectAll.kext in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other/ with no luck either.

I think at this point I need someone to help point me to what to do next. I haven't found much on this issue with Catalina and the Clover options are somewhat new to me and overwhelmingly numerous.

I've attached a picture of the screen right before it fails, in case that helps.

Thanks,
-Ben

Attachments

• IMG_5976.JPG
    IMG_5976.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 376
Not a Desktop - Moved to Laptop Support.

What a dope... Sorry about that.
-Ben

Thanks Feartech. That worked. I don't know why I wasn't smart enough to find that before.
-Ben

ben. is there a guide to instal osx on this particular asus laptop? (MJ401TA 14)

thanks,

As far as I know there is no guide posted anywhere. I was unable to find one at least. It is my intention to post a clear and concise guide once I have figured out most of the important hardware. It's a neat little basic laptop. It reminds me of my old G4 iBook. So far, I do have Catalina installed and somewhat functional. I have gotten the Intel graphics working and the onboard keyboard. The internal SSD is recognized and accessible, although I am using an external SSD for the time being. All usb ports work as well. However, there are several things that I do not have working, which I am pretty sure will work eventually. Things I do not have working yet are the trackpad, audio, wifi, and power related stuff like battery monitoring or sleeping.

The long pole in the tent here is the wireless Intel 8265. Intel wireless is not natively supported and until recently, not even at all. In the last few months there has been great progress made on getting Intel wireless supported, but it crashed my system immediately upon loading the extension. I'm following the progress and still learning my way around my system at the same time.

The second thing that would be nice to have working is the trackpad. It is an I2C Elan 1201. As far as I can tell, this should be possible to get working using VooDoo, but it hasn't worked for me and I haven't figured out why yet.

I would also like to get audio working. It is Intel 0x9D71. I think RehabMan-FakePCIID is supposed to get this working, because 9D70 is supported natively and the helper extension lists this ID, but I haven't figured out what I am missing to get the audio working.

I have been reading up on editing DSDT in case that is where my problems lie and I want to actually understand what that stuff is anyway. RehabMan has a nice post on it, but just because I read it, doesn't mean I fully grocked it.

If folks want to use this thread to help me debug my system, great. I'll then post a new guide once the dust settles.

-Ben

Great!.
This is a nice little laptop.
I hope other people see potential in it

As far as I know there is no guide posted anywhere. I was unable to find one at least. It is my intention to post a clear and concise guide once I have figured out most of the important hardware. It's a neat little basic laptop. It reminds me of my old G4 iBook. So far, I do have Catalina installed and somewhat functional. I have gotten the Intel graphics working and the onboard keyboard. The internal SSD is recognized and accessible, although I am using an external SSD for the time being. All usb ports work as well. However, there are several things that I do not have working, which I am pretty sure will work eventually. Things I do not have working yet are the trackpad, audio, wifi, and power related stuff like battery monitoring or sleeping.

The long pole in the tent here is the wireless Intel 8265. Intel wireless is not natively supported and until recently, not even at all. In the last few months there has been great progress made on getting Intel wireless supported, but it crashed my system immediately upon loading the extension. I'm following the progress and still learning my way around my system at the same time.

The second thing that would be nice to have working is the trackpad. It is an I2C Elan 1201. As far as I can tell, this should be possible to get working using VooDoo, but it hasn't worked for me and I haven't figured out why yet.

I would also like to get audio working. It is Intel 0x9D71. I think RehabMan-FakePCIID is supposed to get this working, because 9D70 is supported natively and the helper extension lists this ID, but I haven't figured out what I am missing to get the audio working.

I have been reading up on editing DSDT in case that is where my problems lie and I want to actually understand what that stuff is anyway. RehabMan has a nice post on it, but just because I read it, doesn't mean I fully grocked it.

If folks want to use this thread to help me debug my system, great. I'll then post a new guide once the dust settles.

-Ben

use VoodooI2C for Elan trackpad.
use AppleALC for audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back