Contribute
Register

Catalina 10.15.6 + 5700 XT: Crashing under load

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they're all like that. I see that the Radeon VII is now getting quite expensive!

It leaves a big gap for us. If you want to keep trying stuff, that 19G2006 build can be downloaded. Using the "in Windows" method that's referenced in the OpenCore guide. I think it might be forbidden to talk about that method around here. But I just happened to notice a post about it when I googled those build numbers.

I've got a very similar build profile and have been experiencing the same issue consistently. There's a quick screen flash that happens, the flashes start getting closer together until it blacks out. I'm still running Catalina ver 15.5.5 Tried a number of solutions including changing SMBIOS, an array of different boot args, adjusting the frame buffers, reseating the card, updating the drivers in Windows (there have been a ton of issues with these cards outside of OS-X. Just google "blackout issues amd 5700 xt" and check the results) and nothing worked.

Hardware specs:
Processor
I7-6700 4.00 GHz - LGA 1151
Graphics Card
GIGABYTE Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING OC 8G
Motherboard
Gigabyte LGA1151 Z170 GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
Ram
Ballistix 64GB Kit (16GBx4) DDR4 2400 MT/s
Wifi/Bluetooth Card
Apple Broadcom BCM94360CD
SSD
Samsung 950 Pro 500GB SSD
Power Supply
Corsair 750 W 80 + Platinum Certified

Thank you Poorman9 for narrowing down the console errors. This OS had been stable for me for a couple of months until I recently added a second 4K monitor to my setup. It had been 1 4K monitor and a 1080p previously. Not sure if that's what is driving the graphics load further. I'm going to try and run a single monitor for a while and see if it persists.

You're correct. The build number on the new iMacs is reported as 19G2005 or 19G2006.

Downloading the 10.15.6 combo update appears to have a different version of AMDRadeonX6000Framebuffer.kext than what I currently have installed with 10.15.6. Not sure if it means anything though. I didn't install the combo update to see if it changed my macOS build number.

Current:
Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 7.16.33 PM.png

Combo Update:
Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 7.16.36 PM.png

There's also a new supplemental update for 10.15.6 just out today with updated AMD graphics drivers.

There's also a new supplemental update for 10.15.6 just out today with updated AMD graphics drivers.

Cool, that supplemental update matches the combo update.

Thanks for sharing! Will try that update and share if it effects my crashes here on the thread. Will have to wait until this weekend, as I'm mid-project now.

Updated this morning to macOS 10.15.6 (19G2021). I updated Lilu, WhatEverGreen and AppleALC before install without any issue. Unfortunately, I'm already seeing the flashes in the menu bar area that lead to the black freeze. I haven't been able to locate any "dumpGPURestart" lines like poorman9 in my console around any of my crashes. Trying to see if I can narrow down what's happening in my logs.

I'd try removing DAGPM, GPUSensors and radnogva boot arg and observe

Yesterday I tried a Time Machine restore from a recent backup after a failed Clover update, updated Clover to 5120., re-installed most recent versions of Lilu, WhateverGreen and Apple ALC, ran software update to macOS 10.15.6 (19G2021) and after some testing, so far, so good. Fingers crossed!

Thanks for sharing! Will try that update and share if it effects my crashes here on the thread. Will have to wait until this weekend, as I'm mid-project now.

Any luck testing it out Poorman9? Unfortunately, I still had two crashes last night. I noticed that audio continues to play from Music or YouTube for a several seconds after the black screen and can be paused/resumed for a brief period before everything dies.

Can someone help me with how to locate the crash in Console? I've tried to look at "Errors and Fails" during the timecodes I see the flashes and I can see the eventual system reboot but there's so much nonsense in between that it's difficult to narrow it down. When I do a search, I can't find anything related to "(com.apple.DumpGPURestart)"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back